~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Disclaimer: Lyrics of the song by Ghost of the Robot



GRIEF



Are we done for now
Or is this for good
Will there be something in
Time with us, there should



The blond Slayer tossed and turned in the crowded uncomfortable motel bed, sweating. On one side of her, the body of her sleeping sister. On the other side, her best friend. They were both dreaming of the better days ahead of them. But Buffy was restless. She was dreaming too, but of love, loss and grief.



It was dark in the high school and her heart was racing as she faced him. He was dangerous, she could tell. The blond vampire seemed arrogant and full of self-confidence when he tossed aside his sword in the same way she had discarded her axe. He smiled devilishly at her, his blue eyes sparkling in the dark. And she knew in her heart that this was the one. Her equal. The one she would never defeat. The one she would never want to defeat.


They fought. Giving punch for punch, kick for kick. It hurt and it thrilled them both. They fought like the sake of the world depended on it. They couldn’t care, wouldn’t care, about anything but their bodies clashing together in a violent dance. Exhausted, they fell to the floor in a strange embrace, their faces only a few inches apart. And the love she saw in his eyes made her laugh. A happy laughter that echoed into the empty high school. He didn’t seem surprised by her laugh; he just smiled at her and kissed her lips. And this was right. Her pointless objections crumbled, like a sandcastle hit by a wave. It didn’t matter if this man was a vampire. Didn’t matter if he wasn’t the perfect normal guy. Because she saw his heart. Saw how beautiful his love for her was. And that was all that really mattered.


As his lips left hers to explore her throat, she looked around. They hadn’t moved, but the surroundings were different. It was still Sunnydale High, but it wasn’t the same hallways she was familiar with. More modern, though completely trashed and… there were bodies everywhere around them. But she didn’t want to delve on this.


She looked down at his blond head. He was murmuring something against her skin. She could barely make out the words.


“This is the best night of my life, and it terrifies me. But there’s only one thing I’ll always be sure of, and it’s you. You’re the one. I love you Buffy. Just want to make sure you know that pet. I love you.”


She tried to concentrate on his touch, but there was still something important she needed to tell him. She had to remember what it was because there wasn’t any time left. She could feel it. As if to prove her right, the ground started shaking beneath them.


Suddenly, Spike looked up at her with a childish pleased smile on his face. As if the most amazing thought just occurred to him.


“Someday, I will save the world for you Buffy. I’ll be a hero just like you.”


She smiled at him, but something broke inside of her and she couldn’t say why. She was still fighting to find that important thing she had to tell him, but she couldn’t remember and was starting to panic.


He kissed her again, a long passionate kiss, and she tried to stop him because she knew. She knew what she needed to tell him. But when she finally managed to break the kiss, it was too late. He gave her a sad smile then his skin caught fire.



Buffy shrieked and trashed in the bed. Dawn tried to wake her but she was too deep into sleep.



He was burning from the inside out and Buffy could only look in abject horror as her lover was leaving her behind. In a matter of seconds, he was gone. And she was standing in the rain, in the middle of what was left of Sunnydale. Alone again, because she couldn’t see what she had when she had it.


“I meant it. That’s what I wanted to tell you.” She said to no one. “I meant it when I said I love you.”



Dawn gathered her sleeping sister in her arms.


“I meant it… I meant it..” Buffy murmured in her sleep.


“Shhhh honey, it’s alright.”


Buffy seemed to be calming down at last. Dawn looked around the small, crowded, motel room and growled at the occupants. “Nothing to see. Go back to sleep.”


Dawn and Willow both put their arms around Buffy and they all went back to sleep



** I know you meant it… Sweet dreams luv**




Still see the promise in your eyes
And still wonder if it's for me
But I know it's still there
Even when you sleep
So I say
Good night sweet girl


A/N: Liked it? Let me know!...