Spike was sitting at a bar in downtown L.A. He picked up a shot of whiskey, gestured "cheers" to the bartender before shooting the whiskey down. Someone bumped into Spike, pushing him into the large biker-type standing next to him. The man glared meanly at Spike.
"Ahh. Nice crowd." Spike said, more to himself than those sitting around him.
The bartender refilled Spikes whisky glass. "It can get pretty ugly in here, I gotta warn you."
Spike drank down the shot in one fluid motion. "What I'm after. Couple more shots of courage, and I may make my presence felt."
The bartender refilled Spike's whisky glass again "Your funeral." The bartender muttered.
"Well, I never had a proper one." Spike grinned as he drank the shot.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As Spike sat at the bar, the memories of those last couple of nights he and Buffy had spent together wrapped in each others embrace, washed over him. No matter how much he drank he couldn’t stop it. ‘Damn vampire constitution’ he thought ,
‘well if I can’t stop it, might as well embrace it’. And with that he rose from his seat and walked over to the nearest pay phone. He took out a piece of paper with a phone number scribbled on it, dropped some quarters into the slot, and dialled the number. ‘Damn what am I going to say, I’ve not spoken to her for, bloody hell, I don’t know how long. I mean, she doesn’t even know I’m…’ Then the answer phone picked up. ‘Thank shit, at least he wouldn’t have to say this to her face…well…her personally’
Then her voice came on the answer phone. If his heart was alive it would have skipped a few beats. God he missed the sound of her voice.
“Hey this is Buffy and Dawn. We’re not home right now so leave a message”
Spike laughed as the beep came.
“Never were one for many words were ya pet?”
He paused, what was he going to say, should he lie or tell her the truth. The truth that was best, he probably wasn’t going to make it through tonight, he’d held this off for too long.
“I’m sure your wondering what the hell I’m doing on your machine, seeing as I should be little pieces of dust floating in the wind. To cut a very long story short, I came back as a ghostie when broody face got the amulet back. I walked through walls for a while till some guy made me a real boy again, well as real as a vampire with a soul can be. Look, the reason I’m calling, or more the reason I’ve put this off for so long…I went out in a blaze of glory that day in the hellmouth, and I didn’t want to ruin anything between us. We’d said our goodbyes in the best way possible, but now…”
He paused, took an unnecessary deep breath
“Listen love, I’ve missed you so much, and with the impending apocalypse set for tonight’s agenda, peaches doesn’t think we’re gonna make it through this one, and for once I agree with him. Huh, never thought I’d agree with Angel, well there’s a first time for everything I suppose.”
He was getting off track he had to stay focussed, that and he was running out of quarters.
“I just wanted to say that…I love you, so much, and tonight there’s gonna be no amulets or trinkets of any kind, so if I get dusted tonight there’s no coming back, and I wanted to tell you that before I go. I’ve missed you so much and I should have put my pride aside and come to see you and nibblet a long time ago.”
He could feel tears welling up in his eyes.
“Say hi to lil’ bit .I love you so, so much Buffy, I’ll be seeing you love…” He let the words trail off and he didn’t care that the tears were flowing now for his lost love, Hell if anyone saw him he could get in a few practice kills before the big finale.
He placed the receiver on the hook, and went off to rescue a baby, and face his impending doom.
Little did he know that, in an apartment in Rome, someone else’s tears were flowing, for a blonde haired vampire with a soul, thought dead.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~