Chapter 2

A few days went by since Buffy last saw Spike. She has been avoiding him since she heard him say that he loved her. She had a lot of thinking to do and didn't know what she would say when she saw him so avoiding was always good. She didn't tell anyone because she was afraid of what they would think, she still couldn't believe it herself. She was walking in the cemetery and wasn't paying attention to where she was going again and found herself in front of Spike's crypt. She just stood there for a few minutes. She didn't think she was ready to face him yet so she then turned away when she heard the crypt door open and his voice. "Finally decided to make your presence known, Slayer?" Buffy took a deep breath and turned to look at him.

"How long did you know I was here?" She asked and he walked closer to her.

"Long enough, are you okay?" Buffy nodded that she was fine.

"Yeah, I'm good. Why wouldn't I be?" Spike shrugged.

"Don't know, but I'm getting the feeling that you have been avoiding me." Buffy looked up at him.

"I'm not avoiding. Just because I haven't been coming into your cemetery for the last few days doesn't mean I'm avoiding. There just hasn't been much action around here for a while." Spike nodded.

"Well, can't argue with you on that one. Place seems more dead than usual." Buffy agreed.

"Right, so I'll just be going now." She told him as she turned away again.

"Buffy?" He called back to her and she turned back in his direction. "Whatever it is, you can tell me. I know you well enough to know when something's bothering you." Buffy took a breath and just decided to tell him what was on her mind.

"I heard what you said the other day in my room. I wasn't completely asleep." Spike looked down when he remembered and then back up at her.

"Right, you weren't supposed to hear that." Buffy nodded.

"Yeah, but I did and it's safe to say that I didn’t really know what to think about it. I wasn’t sure how to face you." Spike sighed.

"God, I'm such an idiot. I should have never said anything, you have enough going on and this is the last thing you need right now." He told her.

"Did you mean it?" She asked him and he looked at her and nodded.

"Yeah, now that I finally said it I'm not taking it back. I wasn’t planning on you finding out anytime soon. The last thing I want is for you to be uncomfortable, but I do love you.” Buffy looked away from him.

"Why?" She whispered and with his enhanced hearing he heard her and he didn’t seem happy as he glared at her.

"What, because I don't have a soul I'm not capable of feeling love? Is that it?" Buffy backed away a little at his harsh tone and took a deep breath before she said what she had to say.

"No, I know you can feel love. I've seen you with Drusilla and I know how much you love her. You're probably the only vampire out there that doesn't need a soul to love. You're not like Angel. He wasn't capable of loving me without a soul. You always seemed more human than any other vampire and I never understood that, but maybe I’m starting to. So, that's not what I was saying. I asked why you love me, not how. Why do you love me, Spike? Sometimes I don't know how anyone can." Buffy told him and Spike couldn't believe what he was hearing. He couldn’t believe that she didn’t realize how amazing she was.

"Are you completely daft? I think the question is how can anyone not love you? You're the best person I have ever met, Buffy. You're right, I'm nothing like Angelus. He was a sodden ponce and was a bleeding idiot for letting a woman like you go. I don't need a soul to love you. All I need is you. You are my soul, Buffy.” He then gave her a small smile. “Yeah, my Big Bad reputation if any of it was even left really got shot to Hell right there." She smiled back at him.

"Do you have any regrets?" She asked him and he shook his head.

"No, I don't. I definitely won't regret this." With that he cupped her face and kissed her gently on the lips. She was taken by surprise at first and then started to kiss him back. They continued like that for what seemed like forever and neither of them noticed the familiar dark haired woman watching them in the distance with a scowl on her face.