Chapter 11

Buffy finally revealed her illness to everyone a few days later and it didn't go very well. Her friends understood why she didn't tell them sooner, but they were devastated. Buffy was always the one that kept everything together and they didn't know what they would do without her. Dawn didn't take it well at all. She was upset that she didn't know about it sooner, she figured that they thought she was too young to know about it and probably wouldn't know how to handle it. When she found out she ran to her room and cried her eyes out. She may give Buffy a hard time about some stuff, but it was only because she loved her. She needed her big sister around. A few weeks went by and Buffy started to feel worse, but she would still act like everything was okay in front of her family and friends so she wouldn't worry them. Joyce noticed that she hasn't been looking very well lately and decided to keep her home from school. Buffy didn't want to spend her time in a hospital because she hated hospitals, so Joyce agreed to keep her at home and she had a doctor come to check up on her sometimes. Everyone at school eventually found out and people around town. They sent her cards and stuffed animals, even people that didn't even know her. Spike would always come by to see her and spend all the time with her that he could. He would come by just to read to her or to watch her sleep. He even showed her his sketchbook which he usually wouldn't show anyone. He showed her the pictures that he sketched of her when he was just watching her from a distance. Faith would come with him sometimes. She only knew Buffy for a few months, but she became a good friend to her and Faith was sad when she found out the truth. She finally made a really good friend and she didn't want to lose her. Spike was sitting in a chair by Buffy's bed just talking to her until she fell asleep. He looked at her sleeping form, she was sweaty and more pale than usual and he could tell that she lost some weight, but she was still beautiful to him. He held her hand and fell asleep by her. Joyce came in later and found Spike asleep with her daughter. She couldn't help but smile as she walked over to Spike and touched his shoulder gently. He woke up and looked up at her. "Why don't you head home and get some sleep, Spike. I'll sit with her." Spike nodded and stood up. He gave Buffy a kiss on the forehead and left the room. Joyce sat down in the chair and grabbed Buffy's hand. "My brave girl, you know you have a lot of people that love you. We will all be very upset if you leave us." Joyce started to cry as she watched the sleeping form of her daughter. "Please don't take her from me. It's not her time, she's just a child." Joyce said to the ceiling. She put her face in her hands when she felt Buffy move.

"Mom," she whispered. "It's okay, please don't cry." Joyce looked up when her daughter spoke. "I'll be with daddy; we'll take care of each other. Don't worry, everything will be alright." Joyce smiled at her brave girl and grabbed for her hand again.

"I love you, baby. I always said that Heaven was missing an angel, now they'll be getting one back." Joyce cried as she got up to hug Buffy and Buffy hugged her back.

"I love you, mom." Dawn was standing in the doorway and cleared her throat. Joyce pulled away to look at her youngest. Buffy smiled at Dawn. "Come here, Dawny." Dawn went towards her sister and gave her a big hug and started to cry again. "It's okay, sweetie." Buffy said as she ran her hands through Dawn's hair. A few hours later, Buffy was alone in her room again just looking up at the ceiling when she heard someone knock and she saw Riley. "Hey, you came." Riley nodded and headed towards her.

"Of course I did. I wanted to be here for you, school can wait." Buffy smiled and opened up her arms and Riley hugged her and kissed her hair. "I love you, squirt." Buffy laughed at the familiar nickname that Riley gave her when she was little. She pulled away and looked at him.

"Promise me you'll take care of them." She told him and he nodded.

"Always," Buffy smiled and hugged him again. All of her friends showed up later to tell her about what she has been missing in school. They were trying to make Buffy laugh and act like it was just a normal day. Willow and Tara brought her some charms for her charm bracelet that she has had since she was 10. Xander and Anya brought her a huge stuffed bunny even though Anya was against it saying that the bunny was evil, but she agreed because she knew that Buffy loved bunnies. Faith brought her a music box that she had since she was little that played "It's a Small World." They talked about their childhoods a lot when they were getting to know each other and Faith knew that was her favorite ride at Disney when she was a kid and she figured the song would make her feel better. The next few hours were spent with everyone talking and hugging until they decided that it was time to let Buffy rest. She was alone in her room looking at the music box like she was mesmerized by it when Spike came back. He waited until he knew that she would be alone.

"You must be special. Faith wouldn't give that to just anyone." Buffy smiled at him and put the music box next to her bed. He sat down in the chair and looked at her. "How are you feeling?" Buffy sighed and lay her head back down.

"Tired," she replied and Spike agreed.

"I just wanted to check up on you, but I should let you rest." He was about to get up when Buffy grabbed his arm to stop him.

"Stay with me tonight." Spike sat back down and she still didn't let go of his arm. They just sat in silence not sure what to say to each other. Spike was afraid that he might start crying again and he didn't want to do that. He was afraid that if he started he might not be able to stop. "Take care of her." Spike looked back at Buffy when he heard her speak. "Faith is lucky to have a great big brother like you in her life." Spike grabbed her hand and kissed her knuckles. God, he didn't want to let this girl go. He looked into her eyes and touched her face.

"I love you." Buffy smiled and touched his face also.

"I love you, too. I'll always be with you." This time Spike couldn't hold the tears back. He leaned towards her and kissed her on the lips. He then moved up and kissed her forehead before pulling away from her. Buffy sat up slowly so she could be closer to him. "I wanted to give you something." She told him as she took her charm bracelet off and put it on him. "I've had this since I was 10 and I've been adding onto it ever since. I wanted you to continue it for me and everytime you add a new charm, you'll think of me. This way I'll always be a part of you." She told him. Spike looked down at the bracelet that was now on his wrist. Her father gave it to her and he knew how much it meant to her. He couldn't believe that she was giving it to him instead of one of her other friends or her sister. Spike looked at Buffy.

"I'll always treasure it, love." Buffy smiled and gave him another hug.

"I know you will. I just don't want you to forget me." Spike shook his head while he was still hugging her.

"No chance of that." Buffy pulled away and kissed him again before laying back down. He brushed hair out of her face when her eyes started to close. "Just rest now, sweetheart. We'll meet again." Spike whispered as he soon fell asleep after her, never letting go of her hand.