Chapter 9

A few months went by and Buffy and Spike were still just friends. He still wanted more than that, but he didn't pressure her. She introduced him to her friends and tried to explain that he wasn't a crazy stalker and eventually they all started to accept him, of course Xander took a bit more convincing. She even introduced him to her family before Riley went back to school so he could meet him. He gave him the evil eye just like he would with any guy that was around Buffy, besides Xander. They talked though and actually started to get along. Joyce loved him and thought that he was a joy to have around. Dawn had a little crush on him at first, but now she thinks that he's more like a brother and he always has these cute names for her. Faith has been pulling her grades up a lot since Buffy has been helping her out and Spike couldn't be happier about that. Buffy and Faith also became better friends and would hang out a lot more outside of school. Buffy was at Faith's house helping her study when Spike offered to drive her home and she said yes and now found herself sitting in his car in front of her house. "Thanks for the ride." Buffy said, but made no move to get out of the car. Spike nodded and looked at her. He knew that he shouldn't, but he just couldn't take it anymore. He leaned towards her and kissed her gently on the lips. Buffy was surprised at first and then relaxed and started to kiss him back. He brought his hand up to cup her face. A few seconds went by and Buffy pulled away and looked down. "We can't do this, Spike." He seemed confused because it felt like she wanted it just as much as he did.

"I know I shouldn't have kissed you like that without you knowing about it, but I've wanted to do it for the longest time now. I know you said you just wanted to be friends, but I have a feeling that you want more than that just like I do. I think you're just scared." Buffy looked up at him with tears in her eyes.

"It's more than that. I just can't be with you, I'm sorry." With that Buffy got out of the car and ran to her house without looking back. Spike just sat there after she got inside. He knew that something was really bothering her, he just wished she would tell him about it. He knew that he loved her though and he would do whatever he could to find out what was really wrong. With that in mind he drove away from her house. Spike got home and found Faith in the living room watching TV. He plopped down next to her and looked really upset. Faith turned the TV off and looked at him.

"What happened now?" Spike looked at her and sighed.

"I'm an idiot." He said.

"I know that, you need to be more specific." Faith said and Spike glared at her. "Wow, if looks could kill. I guess this is not the time to be funny, so what's wrong?" Spike took a deep breath before answering.

"I kissed Buffy when I took her home." He said.

"Oh, I take it that didn't go so well." Spike shook his head.

"It really didn't. It just happened, I wasn't planning on it." Spike put his face in his hands. "I couldn't respect her decision about just wanting to be friends. I had to go and kiss her and freak her out even more. She probably won't even talk to me again." Faith put her hand on his back to comfort him.

"I'm sure she'll talk to you again. I know that she really likes you." Spike looked up at Faith.

"Yeah, she has a funny way of showing it. I just know there's something she isn't telling me. Do you know anything?" Faith shook her head.

"Sorry, but maybe you should just talk to her. Get her to tell you what's really bothering her. She's probably just scared to get involved with someone. Maybe she thinks that it wouldn't work out, I don't know. I know that you really like her, so you can't just give up." Spike agreed.

"I'm not planning on it." Faith nodded and continued to pat him on the back while he just sat there thinking about how to make things better with Buffy.