Chapter 2

Buffy walked into her house and her mother was just coming down the stairs. "Oh good, you're home." She said as she came towards her with a smile on her face. "Someone is waiting for you in the kitchen." Buffy was curious so she walked into the kitchen and smiled at the familiar man standing there.

"Riley!" She exclaimed as she went towards him and gave him a big hug.

"It's good to see you too, but I'm finding it hard to breathe here." Buffy then let him go and smiled at him.

"What are you doing here? I thought you wouldn't be able to come for another month." Riley shook his head.

"I managed to get away earlier. I had to see my favorite sister." Buffy smiled and smacked him lightly on the arm. Riley graduated two years ago and went away to college. Buffy loved him and missed having him around all the time. He was a really good big brother and was always very overprotective of them.

"Don't let Dawn hear you say that. You're lucky she's out with a friend right now." Riley smiled at her.

"It'll be our little secret." He told her as he hugged her again and then pulled away to really look at her. "How've you been, sis? You feeling okay?" She nodded to assure him that she was fine.

"Yeah, I'm good. I've just been a little tired, but it'll pass." He nodded and brushed some hair out of her face.

"Well, you look good." He told her.

"I feel good. Some days are better than others, but I'm fine." Riley pulled her to him again and held her.

"That's good to know." He said as he kissed the top of her head. He pulled away when they heard the front door open and Dawn come in. She walked into the kitchen and saw Riley.

"Hey, you're here early." She said as she went to hug him also.

"Yeah, just had to get away for a bit. How've you been, kid?" Riley said as Dawn pulled away.

"I'm good and I'm not a kid." Riley smiled at his youngest sister. He knew she hated to be called that. "I'm 15 and in high school now. Let's not forget that." Riley nodded.

"Dually noted." Dawn went to the fridge and grabbed a bottle of water.

"How long you staying this time?" She asked as she took a drink.

"I could only spare two weeks. So, looks like you two are stuck with me." He told them.

"I'm okay with that; this place hasn't been the same without you." Buffy told him and then looked at Dawn. She noticed Buffy's look and rolled her eyes.

"Yeah, it's great. Where's mom?" She asked.

"Upstairs," Buffy replied back and with that Dawn headed out of the kitchen. Riley watched her go and then turned back to Buffy.

"When did she turn 15?" He said and Buffy laughed.

"Yeah, be afraid. Be very afraid." Riley laughed also and then looked at his sister. It felt good to see her laugh. He just hoped he would get to see it more.