Buffy Summers was sure that the librarian was always looking at her strangely. Not in that ‘Ew, sexual predator’ kind of way. Gross. But in that ‘he knows something about you’ way.

Weird.

Rupert Giles was his name, though all of his students called him Giles. He wasn’t a bad guy; in fact, he was really nice and always wanting to help.

But still…it was that way he looked at her.

“Get the book you wanted, luv?” Buffy heard the familiar voice ask, breaking her from her thoughts. Turning to face the bleach blond, she smiled.

“Yep, think so.” She looked down at the book in her hands. “Why does the Mrs. Fisher insist on making us read things like this? When am I ever going to remember the time I read the classic of ‘Jane Eyre’?” She asked, adding an eyeroll of sarcasm to top it off.

The boy chuckled to himself before walking over with her to check it out. “That’s the point of teachers you know. To make our lives hell and teach us things we’ll never use.” This gained a smile from Buffy, which he knew it would.

“Hello, Buffy,” Giles greeted as he scanned the book.

“Hey, Giles.” There was that look again. She really wished he’d stop. When he handed the book back to her, she smiled politely and left with the blond guy.

“Spike,” Buffy started, pushing the book into her bookbag as they walked out of the school doors and toward the parking lot. Most of the other students were already gone, so the courtyard was mostly empty.

“Hmm?”

“You never answered my question from earlier,” she said quietly, keeping her head down.

“Which question was that?” He asked, knowing full well what she was talking about.

“You’re a senior this year. I’m still a junior. That equals you graduating a year early…moving away to some great college…meeting some hot girl and--”

“No,” he interrupted suddenly, giving her a stern look. He hated when she got so self-conscious and thought he’d leave her for someone else. “No other girls, and you know that, Buffy.”

“Right. So, you move away to some great college…I don’t graduate ‘til next year…” She pouted slightly, finally looking up at him as they both got in his car.

“Buffy…This school year just started a few weeks ago. We’ve still got an entire year to figure out what we’re gonna do.”

Buffy kept her pout in place as she buckled her seatbelt. He was right. She was only 16, to be 17 in about five months. And he was only 17. They still had this school year left to talk about what would happen.

“Buffy…” Spike sighed, starting the car, but not leaving. He instead turned to face her. “I love you, you know that. Nothing’s going to keep me from being with you. I promise.”

Before she could reply, he leaned forward to place a gentle, loving kiss on her lips. She was smiling when he pulled away, and it was enough to make him smile too. “Love you, too,” she told him with a grin as the car left the parking lot.

----

“Mom! I’m home,” the blond teen yelled as she walked through the doors of her house.

“Oh, hey, Sweetheart. She’s working at the gallery,” a man said with a smile as his daughter hugged him.

“Thanks. Hey, Dad, bunch of friends want me to go with ‘em to the Bronze tonight. Is that okay?”

Hank just smiled at his daughter, nodding his okay. “Be home by eleven.”

“Twelve?”

“Eleven-thirty,” Hank compromised with a roll of his eyes.

“Thank you,” she said proudly as she hurried up the stairs.

“Teenagers,” Hank mumbled good-naturedly as he went back to drinking his afternoon coffee.

---

“You made it,” Xander Harris announced as Buffy approached the table.

“So I did,” she answered, giving him a friendly hug.

“Hey Buffy,” Willow announced and Buffy nodded with a grin.

“Spike here yet?”

“Umm…” Willow and Xander both began to look nervous as they tried hard not to gaze toward the bar.

Buffy, seeing their hesitations, looked toward the bar to see Spike standing there. The bartender, who happened to be a girl, was going all out with the flirting.

Turning back to her friends, Buffy eyed them curiously. “Are you guys okay?”

“Yeah, but…Buffy…”

“Wills, he’s just getting some drinks.”

“And checking out the waitress who happens to be bearing Cleveland to him,” Xander added.

Buffy turned back to see the girl still going at it. She was bending over with her low-cut shirt showing everything. Her fake laughs and overdone posture clearly showed her intentions. And there stood Spike, politely laughing also. He nodded whenever she said something, but more or less looked impatient.

“No, he’s getting some drinks,” Buffy said with a shrug as she turned back to her friends once more.

“Buffy…he’s not telling her to get lost or anything. He’s being as flirty as she is.”

“Xander, did you just use the word ‘flirty’?” Buffy asked with a grin.

“So not the point, Buff.”

Sighing, Buffy shook her head. “Guys, I’ve been with Spike since I was 13. I love him. And I trust him. If some skank wants to dangle her overexposed body in front of him, I know she’s not getting anywhere with it.”

“Sure are confident,” Willow said with a small Willow Pout.

“Yes, I am. There wouldn’t be much of a relationship if I thought he was cheating on me with every girl he talked to. She’s flirting, and he’s just not being rude.”

“Codeword? Flirting,” Xander said flatly, gaining a glare from Buffy.

Buffy rolled her eyes as she turned back toward Spike. He finally had the drinks and smiled when he saw her at the table. She smiled also and scooted to make room for him at the table. But after he sat the drinks down, he picked her up, sat in her seat, then set her on his lap.

Giggling, she reached over and grabbed one of the sodas.

“I suppose you caught that show, then?” Spike asked with a sigh.

“Yep. Willow and Xander seem to think you’re in trouble,” she said with a grin.

“Am I?”

“You know you’re not.”

“I really don’t deserve you,” he told her with a soft smile as he leaned forward to kiss her.

“Whoa, this would be a public place,” Xander said, rubbing his eyes. “And I’m gonna go make myself blind now.”

Buffy and Spike simultaneously rolled their eyes as he walked off.

“Oh, Oz is here,” Willow announced and quickly hurried off to her boyfriend.

“I got something for you,” Spike told her when they were alone.

“Oh, really? Present for me?”

“Yep. Here, sit right-” He picked her back up to set her on the seat next to him and she pouted at having to move. “-here,” Spike finished with a grin as he pulled something from his pocket.

Buffy stared at the velvet box as he opened it and pulled the ring out. “This is my promise ring to you, Buffy Summers,” he told her, enjoying the emotions that ran across her features. “To promise to you that I’m not leaving you. Not for college. Not for girls. Nothing. I don’t leave you, alright?”

Buffy could only nod in reply. She gulped slightly when he took her left hand and began to push it onto her ring finger. “And maybe…one day…it can mean something more,” he said softly, meeting her gaze once the ring was on.

“You are…amazing,” Buffy replied and leaned forward to meet his lips in a passionate kiss.

“I know,” he said in mock-arrogance and shared a smile with her. “I’m just too good for you and we both know it.”

Rolling her eyes one last time, Buffy leaned forward to resume the much-missed kissing.

A/N: Okay, this chapter was mostly to lay out the relationships, and I know it seemed more or less rushed. Just to let you know, this is /not/ a high school fic. Book One of this series, this book, will have chapters in the beginning where it's high school. But that isn't going to be the case for very long. Enjoy the fluffiness while you have it, 'cause it's going to get angstier...that's not a word is it? :P

I decided to play around with Hank actually being a good father. You don't see that much, but I wanted things to start out happy so it would be a bit more dramatic when things fell apart.

Now, I'm going to warn you now. Buffy and Spike are going to have one hell of a bumpy road ahead of them. It's not happiness and kisses all the way through. And, Book One may not end the way you want it to. But, I PROMISE that if you stick around 'til the end, you'll get your nice, Spuffy ending.

Well, leave me some reviews. Pretty please? :D