Author's Chapter Notes:
Standard Disclaimers Apply...me no own nuffin
Chapter 10: The Beginning of Something Beautiful

She lightly tapped at the door to Drusilla’s penthouse. Maybe if she did it soft enough, Drusilla wouldn’t hear it. After all, it wasn’t her fault if Drusilla was deaf; Buffy did her job by attempting.

The door swung open to reveal Angel clad in only boxers, scratching his chest. He leered at the woman in front of him. She definitely wasn’t a Barbie doll beauty like the many women he knew and her clothes were sadly lacking in its frumpy and outdated state. Well, she certainly had no vanity, that’s for sure. It was sad too, because she definitely had potential. “Hey pretty girl, what can I do for ya?” He said, scrutinizing her from head to toe, as if he was trying to decide if there was something he liked underneath her clothing.

She tried not to tremble in disgust and fear as she stared down at the ground. “Dr-Drusilla knows m-me. Is s-she in?” She barely hid a sigh of relief when Drusilla came out of her bedroom, clad in just an almost sheer pink satin robe.

“Stop trying to flirt with the hired help,” Drusilla said as she pushed Angel out of the door way.

He sighed, his fun taken away. Then he smacked Drusilla’s ass. “Hurry up. I’ll be waiting for you in the shower.” He showed no absolutely embarrassment in his words. Before sauntering off, he turned back and asked, “You sure you don’t want to join us?” he asked Buffy with a smirk. “It could be real fun.”

Drusilla just rolled her eyes and pushed him again towards the bathroom. “You’re looking for me?” Drusilla said loftily as she turned around and left Buffy standing in the doorway.

Buffy had no choice but to follow. “Spike really wants to see you. He misses you so much.” She shoved down the sharp pangs.

The dark haired celebrity grinned. “I knew it. I knew you had feelings for him.”

“He doesn’t know who I am still. He thinks I’m his private nurse.”

Peals of laughter rang throughout Drusilla’s foyer. “You’ve got to be kidding me. You’re pathetic, m’dear.”

Swallowing, Buffy ignored her remark. “He asks for you all the time. Just go visit him... Please.”

Drusilla walked further into the suite, and sat down on the black leather couch. “You saw Angel. You don’t think I’m teaching him how to swim, do you?” She took a cigarette out of the pack and lit it.

“Spike’s in a really bad state right now,” Buffy pleaded again. “You’re his girlfriend. Now’s really the time to be supportive of him.”

Drusilla got up and walked over to where Buffy stood. “Sweetie… In case you didn’t know, let me tell you some things. He’s blind. His brother controls the company. He’s got nothing now. There’s only one choice for me,” she said as she inhaled and blew the smoke in Buffy’s face. “Now if you were smart, you’d go back and tell him the truth. That way, you could be his rebound girl for a while and mend his broken heart.”

Buffy clenched her fists. “I’m not as dreadful as you. I’d never do that.”

Her dark counterpart scoffed as she walked away to the bar, pouring herself a drink from a decanter. “Get it straight. You could be never like me. I’m everything you will never be and I have everything you’d ever dream of. Including Spike.”

She sauntered back to Buffy, her hips swaying back and forth. “Why don’t you grab some lotion or something before you leave,” Drusilla said as she put her arm around Buffy’s shoulder. Her other arm patted Buffy’s cheek. “Blind people use their hands to feel. You might need some freshening up before you go back to Spike.”

Buffy shoved her hand away and walked toward the door, trying to hold her anger in check. She turned back, determination on her face.

“What now?”

“Give me Spike’s guitar.”




“So…they really froze my accounts and took over the company,” Spike said with a bitter chuckle. “And yet, why am I not surprised? And Dru? Where does she stand in this?”

The clearing of a throat and the overwhelming silence that followed gave Spike his answer. His hands clenched; he struggled to remain calm. It didn’t work.

He groped for something around him. Anything. When he finally felt something, he threw it at the wall, panting with rage. The explosion of glass told him what it was that he grabbed.

He sat back in the chair, the tension in his body evident. “But why haven’t they moved me out of the private room?” he asked.

Doyle smiled grimly. “Apparently you have someone paying your bills for you. They refused to tell me who it was though. Seems like your benefactor wants to remain unknown.”

Spike’s eyebrows scrunched in surprise. “Well well well. ’ve got a mysterious angel watching over me,” he remarked bemusedly. “Wonder who it is.”

He paused, taking a breath before continuing. “Doyle, ‘ve got a joint Swiss bank account with my father. He deposited 5 million dollars in there just before the accident. ‘ll give you authorized consent to present to the bank; I want it changed over to my name only. Jenny and Angel don’t know about this account, and I want to keep it that way.”

His trusted friend and employee nodded. “That’s a good idea. Spike, I hope the surgery works out. We need you back in the company.”

Doyle guided Spike back to his room, while on the way, speaking to a nurse about the ‘accident’ in the conference room. They shook hands before Doyle left, leaving him to his troubled musings. Who would do that for me? Spike thought. And why? What do they get out of it?

There were no responses or answers to soothe his chaotic thoughts.


Buffy walked slowly in the hallway, clutching at the guitar case. What am I doing? She questioned herself. I can’t believe I’m doing this.

Before long, she reached Spike’s door. Taking a deep breath, she knocked on the door and opened it when she heard his “come in.”

Spike stood up when he heard the door open.

“Mr.Giles, I brought your guitar,” Buffy said as she walked over to him and placed it in front of him. She lightly took his hand and brought it to the guitar case, shivering slightly as a bolt of heat rushed from the contact. “But umm…Drusilla’s actually… umm…out of the country.”

He chuckled bitterly. “Nice try, luv. You can stop with the lies now.”

Heart racing, she asked, “What do you mean?”

“I know she’s dating Angel. One of my employees told me everything,” Spike said.

Buffy could see the anguish in his eyes. They say the eyes are the windows to one’s soul. He lost his sight, but his soul ached at the betrayal of everyone around him. She kept silent, not knowing what to say, how to comfort him. How do you make the soul-deep agony disappear?

He sat down, trying to regain control. “who’s paying you?”

“Umm…I’m not sure. The hospital, probably.” She took off her heavy brown overcoat and placed it on the table.

“Don’t think they’ll ‘e paying you much longer. But don’t worry, ’ll find some way to pay you
for your services.”

Buffy smiled. “Don’t worry, what are friends for? Would you like some water, Mr. Giles?” Without waiting for an answer, she began to walk over to the counter where the pitchers of water rested.

“Friend?” Spike stood up from his chair again. “You think of me as a friend?”

Her heart pounded as she turned around to face him. Oh crap. Was I not supposed to say that? “I’m sorry, Mr. Giles. I didn’t mean to assume.” She stared down at the ground, her stomach felt like it was lodged in her throat.

“No no, pet. You just surprised me. I didn’t think ‘d ‘ave friends at a time like this,” he said, the bitterness evident again. “’specially not such a pretty girl like you.”

Buffy croaked out a laugh. “You’re too kind, Mr. Giles. I’m not pretty,” she replied, her hands fluttering around her face. She leaned in close to him, as if trying to determine what exactly he saw. Or wasn’t supposed to see, anyway.

“Your heart is kind and you are compassionate. That constitutes as ‘rue beauty, luv.. ’nd it’s my turn to give you a gift,” Spike said as he walked over to the table where his guitar was placed.

Buffy melted into a puddle of goo, a smile dazzling her face.




Uhh not exactly long, I know. But I figured I’d compromise since I had received both answers. Next one should be longer… Hope everyone liked this chapter!

HUGE THANKS to everyone who reviewed!:
Gypsyjin: glad you liked, and thanks for reading!

Blondiebear: hope this chapter met your expectations of spike’s reactions. In the movie, the guy’s MUCH more calm about it but that doesn’t seem like Spike at all now does it? =P

MarstersGirl13: umm, yeah, not long at all but hopefully it’ll do teehee

BuffyandSpikeForever: yeah, I know Buffy doesn’t want to see Drusilla at all…I don’t think anyone can blame her! But we all hafta do what we don’t want to do sometimes. And their encounter wasn’t tooooo bad….it could be worse, right? ^^;

Flibble: Yayyy you liked this Buffy…not very many do lol. I know it’s a total 180 from how she usually is, but she’ll be coming out of her shell soon enough! I’m going to definitely enjoy writing it ^_^

Bridget: Yeah, Spike’s dad is definitely out of the picture. I think in the movie he’s mentioned like maybe once more, but just gone kaputz. I’m glad you liked Buffy here too. It’s hard for her to deal with and be confident with Spike but with him being such a sweetie, it can’t be that bad, right? Plus, I think him not having his sight makes it a lot easier. Ease her into it, so to say =)

Mariana: I hope the update was fast enough! I’m trying to give the characters more dimensions than the movie portrays; hopefully it’s working…let me know if it needs work! ^_^