William’s stubbed toe was automatically forgotten as he stared at the angry women standing in the doorway. He dropped it to the floor and stood up strait before glancing in Buffy’s direction. She was frozen in place; her mouth slowly opening and closing as she looked at her mother.

“Elizabeth Ann Summers! Explain yourself this instance young lady!” Joyce yelled at her daughter and took a few threatening steps forwards into the room.

“I-I… well… um…” Buffy tried desperately to come up with a believable excuse but it was impossible.

“Buffy.” Her mother warned.

“Hestayedherelastnight.” Buffy said in one breathe while staring at the floor.

“He what!? And what exactly were you doing with him all night?” Buffy took a deep breathe a looked at her mother,

“I’m in love with him.” Joyce Summers looked at her daughter with her mouth open and a confused look on her face.

“Buffy you’re eighteen years old. You can’t possibly know what love is yet.”

“Ugh, mom, don’t say that. I know exactly what it is and it’s how I feel about William.”

“I love her too, Mrs. Summers. I would never do anything to hurt her.” William finally spoke up for the first time since Buffy’s mom had walked in.

“So am I supposed to say “Okay, you can be together now, as long as you love her.”? I don’t think so.”

“Mom I love him and I would do anything for him. I trust him completely and I know I wouldn’t be happy without him. I would give my own life to save his.” Joyce looked at her daughter and saw the seriousness and sincerity in her eyes. She really was in love with this man.

Joyce then shifted her gaze to the man in question standing next to her daughter. He looked so familiar. Those cheek bones and blonde hair was hard to forget. Where did she recognize him from? She looked at him more closely and remembered. He was the Duke’s son and why was his shirt un-buttoned and only one shoe was on. Buffy’s hair was a mess, her robe and night dress were on inside out and what was that mark no her neck? Oh my, gosh!

Joyce’s eyes widened in horror as she realized what had happened between the Duke’s son and HER daughter. “Buffy, you slept with him didn’t you?” It was more of a statement than a question. Buffy looked down at the floor again and whispered,

“Yes.” Joyce closed her eyes trying to calm herself. She knew this day would come but she didn’t expect it to be so soon and she thought her daughter would be married.

“I’m disappointed in you Buffy but there’s no point in lecturing you, the harm is already done. I just hope it isn’t something you end up regretting in the future.”

“It won’t be.” Buffy smiled and looked at William, who in turn smiled back. Joyce smiled despite her anger and replied,

“Well since you’re already here William stay for breakfast. I might as well get to know you if you plan to continue courting my daughter.” William smiled and the three walked out of the bedroom to start breakfast.

Drusilla laughed wickedly at the plan Angel had told her. They were to capture Buffy and hold her prisoner at their cottage. William would come and be her knight in shining armor only to be killed by Angel. It was the perfect plan and it would happen tonight. Drusilla rubbed her palms together before hugging her brother and giving him a peck on the cheek. “You are a genius my sweet brother. The traitor will not know what to do without his sunshine. He will come running but he will not when the game. His marbles will be stolen before he can toss the jack.”

Buffy and William walked through the market place hand in hand, ignoring the people whispering about and pointing to them. Buffy’s mom already knew so now it was time to tell William’s father. They made there way through the gates to the mansion and he snuck them into the back, through the courtyard.

“Why not just use the door?” Buffy asked as William pulled her up through and window. She landed in a long hallway with marble floors and paintings adorning the walls.

“What’s the fun in that?” He smirked and walked down the hallway. They entered the huge foyer of the house and walked into the dining area. The Duke and Rose Mary were sitting at the table looking worried and tired.

“Sorry I didn’t come home last night. I stayed at Buffy’s.” William decided it would be easier to tell if he just jumped right to the chase. His father took off his glasses and began to clean them, sighing deeply. He placed them back on his face and looked at his son.

“William, what were you doing at Buffy’s all night?”

“We’re together Da’. We’re in love.” Those six simple words caused Rupert Giles to close his eyes and shake his head. Why did his son always have to go against the rules and regulations? Why couldn’t he just do as told? That would make his job and life a lot easier. He stood up and leaned against the table, his knuckles were white from the force he was using to keep them in fists.

“William, you are… are despicable! Every chance you get to make me angry or disgrace this family you take! I-“Rose Mary immediately stood up from the table with an angry glare at her son. Her chair fell back with the force of her action.

“Rupert, stop this right now! Just because you have grown up to be a bitter old man doesn’t mean you can treat your son this way!” She took a deep breathe to calm herself. “He’s in love, with a wonderful woman no less,” she glanced in Buffy’s direction and gave her a tender smile which she returned, “but you’re to busy in your work all the time to notice that. And you wonder why William is always getting into trouble and doing the complete opposite of what you ask of him? Let me tell you. It’s to get your attention. Ever since Jenny passed you have cut yourself off from your family. She was a wonderful woman and will always be missed, but you need to move on. So, William didn’t marry the daughter of a Duke or a princess or some rich, powerful women from a noble family, that doesn’t matter. He would have probably had a miserable life and I don’t think even you could have lived with that. He fell in love with an ordinary amazing person who loves him as much as he does her. To me he’s richer then any one of the girls you tried to marry him off to.”

The whole room was silent when she finished her speech. The couple was looking at her with dazzling smiles and tears streaking their cheeks. Her son stood with his mouth agape and his brows furrowed; a look of complete shock on his face.

“Well…uh… if that’s what all of you think, then there is no point in me debating this relationship. I realize now, Buffy, what I said about you was wrong and should have never happened. I apologize.” He slowly leaned back from the table and adjusted his glasses. “I’ll be in my study.” Was the last thing he said before turning and walking down the hall.