A/N: The angst is pretty much over and there's only one chapter left. This chapter is hopefully a lot brighter than the last and there's no cliff hanger. Aren't you proud of me!? =)

******************************************************************************

Giles appeared at the doorway breathing hard; Joyce close behind him. He almost had a heart attack when he saw Angel’s dead body lying on the ground. He ran over to check for a pulse even though he was sure the man was dead, he just couldn’t believe it. He stood up from his squatting position on the floor and shook his head. He looked in the direction of William with disappointment. Buffy was cradled in his son’s arms, shaking with sobs and clinging to William’s shirt. William was gently rocking her and smoothing her hair with his hand.

Rupert cleared his throat and Buffy pulled away from William. They both looked up at the Duke. “Oh, Buffy, sweetie.” Joyce ran into the room and pulled Buffy into a hug, “I was so worried, honey, are you all right?” She looked at Buffy’s tear stained face and another onslaught of tears overtook the young woman. Joyce gently guided Buffy out of the room, leaving father and son alone.

Giles took of his glasses and began to clean them, “I see Elizabeth is okay.”

William nodded, “She’s a little shaken up but she’ll be okay. I’m sorry about Angel Da, I just wasn’t thinking and I know you’re upset.”

“Upset!” His anger got the best of him and he began to yell, “I’m more than bloody upset! I’m disgusted. How could you do such a thing?! I understand that you were angry at Angel for harming Buffy, but you know better than to kill him. I’ve taught you better.”

“Yeah, I’m sorry for what I did, but the bloody ponce deserved what he got!” William sighed and looked at the bed, “He tried to rape her Da. Just to spite me and he almost got away with it.”

The Duke sighed and walked over to the bed to sit down next to his son. He placed a hand on his shoulder, “I’m so sorry William. We should have been more careful and none of this would have happened. But that still doesn’t give you the right to do what you did. You’ll have to live with the consequences.”

“Yeah, I know. I have to learn how to control my anger. I’m sorry Da.”

“It’s okay, son.” William was surprised when Giles pulled him into a hug. But he quickly fell into the embrace of his father and his tears fell. They stayed that way for a while. Rupert soothed his son as he sobbed for the woman he loved. The tears were a mixture of sadness and relief. She had been through a horrible ordeal but she was alright now, and they were thankful.

William grabbed Drusilla and pushed her into the carriage roughly, “Why William? The stars told me that you would betray us but I did not believe them. They-“She was cut off by the door closing on her face. Rupert said goodbye to his son, Buffy, and Joyce before getting on the carriage and heading back towards the castle with Drusilla. She would get a trial back in town in a few days but for now would be held to the dungeons.

Because William could use the excuse of self-defense and he was the Duke’s son, he was pretty safe from the dungeons and a hanging. Now he would have to deal with the guilt he felt but that wasn’t a big problem. Part of him thought killing Angel was a good thing and felt little remorse about it.

“Thank you, Will. I should have listened to you when you asked me to stay. Then all this wouldn’t have happened. I was stubborn, I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be sorry, luv. It’s all over now and you’re safe. That’s all I care about. Let’s try and move on, I know it will be hard for you, but you’re strong.” He kissed her forehead in a loving gesture and she scooted closer to him in the carriage.

They pulled up to the front doors of the castle and everyone got out. Rupert was there already by the time they arrived. Buffy headed straight for the bath. She felt dirty and hoped having a bath would help her feel cleaner. The other three sat down in the living room along with Rose Mary, a servant brought out tea.

“Thank you William. You saved my daughter and I am extremely grateful. I know you truly love her and you have my blessing.”

“Thank you, Mrs. Summers, that means a lot to me.”

“Buffy has been through a lot and the two of you are welcome to stay here as long as you like.” Giles offered.


It had been two weeks since the incident. Buffy and her mother had moved back into their own home. William and Buffy had been spending every day together. Today the two families were going to have dinner together at the mansion.

Everything was set up beautifully when Buffy and Joyce arrived. The long table in the dinning hall was adorned with meat, cheese, fruit, bread, vegetables and wine. Flower arrangements of roses were placed in the center of the wooden table. Candles burned brightly in the evening light that flooded the room. Five chairs were set up around it, the seat cushions were brown and green with embroidered designs.

They had a nice dinner filled with the occasional small talk and comfortable silence of good friends. Dessert was brought out. It was apple and cherry pie, scones and others pastries, and ice cream.

“That was the most delicious meal I’ve ever had. This dinner has been wonderful.” Joyce complimented, wiping her face with a napkin and taking a sip of wine.

Buffy and Spike sat across from her. The whole night they had been stealing little glances at each other and right now they had their joined hands on the table and were smiling lovingly at each other. Suddenly William looked away from her and cleared his throat to get everyone’s attention. “I have an announcement to make and right now seems like a good time to make it," he took s deep breath and looked back at Buffy, giving her a warm smile and squeezing her hand,

“I know Buffy and I haven’t known each other that long and I’m aware that we’re from different backgrounds, but I love her. I’ve spent my life searching for someone who challenges me and keeps me guessing and I’ve found her. Every minute I’m away from her I feel empty and lost. I know I’m supposed to marry a Lady and all, but being who I am, I never follow rules, I follow my heart. This isn’t any different,“ he knelt down next to Buffy and directed his words to her, “I don’t want to spend my life alone or without you any more. My heart beats faster when ever I’m near you and I can’t picture my life with out you in it. I love you so much and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. So Elizabeth Anne Summers, will you marry me? Say yes and you’ll make me the happiest man alive.”

Buffy was speechless as she looked at the man before her. All the love and admiration shone brightly in his eyes. “Of course it’s yes! I love you so much, William.” He grabbed her and pulled her into a hug. He spun her around before putting her back on the ground and the two shared a loving but passionate kiss.”