William bent down next to Buffy. Her face was covered with dirt and blood. He gently picked her up and walked back to his horse. Once he had situated her in front of him, he rode off towards his house.

The doors of the mansion flung open as William walked in carrying Buffy. “Help!” He called, his voice echoing off the walls. “Help me! Rosy, Dad!” Rupert and his mother came running down the stairs. When Rose Mary saw the small girl in William’s arms she immediately started a bath, motioning for William to follow her. He laid Buffy down and helped Rosy remove her clothing.
“William, go outside. I’ll clean her up.”

“But…”

“William, go. I’ll clean her cuts and her face; you go find some clothes for her. And get the guest room ready.” William took one last glance at Buffy and did what he was told.

His father walked into the guest room as he was preparing it. “Who was that girl, son?”

“It was Buffy. I met her in town. She was hit by a carriage.” He sighed and sat down on the bed, running a hand through his blonde curls.

“Oh, dear lord. We’ll keep her here until she recovers. I’m very proud of you son. It was a good thing you did in bringing her here.” He sat down next to his son.

“I just picked her up and brought her here. Nothin’ amazing.” Rupert placed a hand on his shoulder.

“Yes, William it was. You may have saved her life.” He patted his son and left the room. William stopped him.

“Thanks.” He was given a smile as his dad left.

A few minutes later, Buffy was in the bed with all her cuts cleaned and bandaged. She still hadn’t come back to consciousness though. William ran a tender hand down her cheek. He rubbed his thumb over her lips and a sad smile came to his face. “Is that her, William?”

“Yea, this is Buffy. Will she be okay?” His eyes filled with concern.

“She did lose a lot of blood and her rib appears to be broken. But she looks strong. I think she’ll be just fine, thanks to you.”

“I hope you’re right. She really is beautiful isn’t she?”

“Yes, she is. She’s also very lucky. Supper will be ready in a little while. If she is awake by then, we should try to get something in her.” William nodded still looking at Buffy.

She hadn’t woken by the time supper came around. William ate quickly so he could go back to her. He wanted to be there when she woke up. He came back to the room and sat down. He took her small hand in his and rubbed his thumb in a circle over it. “Come on, luv, wake up.” Her eyes fluttered and finally opened. Buffy looked around the room. When her eyes landed on William, fear and confusion filled them.
“Where am I? Who are you?”

“Buffy, it’s me William. We met in town, remember? This is my house.”

“William? What happened to me?”

“You were hit by a carriage and I found you, brought you here.”

“Thank you.” She smiled weakly and closed her eyes again. His heart leaped with joy. She was going to be okay! He kissed her gently on the forehead and left the room.

The next morning, Buffy woke up just in time to see William walk in with some breakfast. He helped her sit up in bed to eat.
“Thank you again for saving me.”

“You’re welcome. I didn’t want anything to happen to pretty girl like you.”

“Thank you.” She let out a gasp. “Oh no, my mom and sisters. They don’t know what happen to me. They must be worried sick.”

“Relax, pet. I’ll tell them what happen. Now finish your breakfast and get some rest. You’ll need it to get better.” As he walked away, Buffy grabbed his hand and placed a kiss on top. They smiled at each other for a long moment before he finally left.