William sleepily opened his eyes and let out a yawn. He pulled the covers away and stretched. Quickly pulling on a tunic and pants, he headed downstairs for breakfast. He was surprised to see a young, blonde woman sitting at the table.

Buffy had been with the family for a few days. Her family had come as soon as they heard about the accident. They tried to take her home, but Rosy had insisted on keeping her at the house for a while. After a long debate, Buffy’s family finally agreed.

Her wounds were healing surprisingly quickly. William and Buffy had talked almost every day whenever he went to check on her. They had become good friends in a short amount of time.

William walked by her, raising an eyebrow. She just smiled as he sat down.
“Good morning, William!” His father replied in an unusually cheery voice.

“Morning Da, Rosy, Buffy.” He acknowledged everyone at the table. “I see you’re feeling better.”

“Yes I am. I was getting sick of being in that bed all day.” She joked.

“Well, I’m happy you’re up and out of bed too. I was getting sick of all that whining.” He smirked at his joke.

Rosy just smiled at the friendly banter. It was obvious how fond the couple were of each other. Rupert hadn’t noticed and that didn’t surprise her. Ever since the loss of Jenny he had become so consumed in his work as Duke, he rarely paid attention to what was happening around him.

That was why he and William weren’t close anymore. The death had caused their close relationship to dissolve. She had no doubt that he loved his son; he just wasn’t as open about it as he once was. The happy, outgoing son she used to know was now buried under a serious, disciplined man.

But today, at the table, part of the old Rupert was showing. This Buffy woman made him and his son happy. His eyes were brighter then usual and he was smiling. There was definitely something interesting about this girl, to be able to capture both her son and grandsons heart. She would work very hard to keep Buffy around.

“So are you going back home today?” William asked sadness evident in his voice.

“Yea. My family will be happy to have me home and they need me. I don’t want to intrude anymore then I already have.”

“You aren’t an intrusion dear.” Rosy spoke up, “We have enjoyed your company. You even made Rupert smile.” Everyone turned to the Duke, who was now choking on his tea.

“Thank you. And thank you for everything else you’ve done for me. I should probably be heading back home.” She stood up and straitened her green dress.

Rosy headed up to the guest room to get her clothing. It had been washed the day she arrived. Buffy voiced her thanks to the women as she and William headed back to town.

They decided to walk instead of using a carriage. Apparently that had been a bad idea, because when they reached town it had begun to rain. William groaned and looked for a shelter. Buffy on the other hand, began to spin around happily. The rain droplets ran down her smiling face.

William stared in awe for a moment. Even in the pouring rain, this woman was beautiful. He smiled, shaking his head before he spoke.
“Is that how you were hit by a carriage? Dancing in the rain like a silly bint?” She stopped her dancing to fix him with a glare.

“No.”

“Then why are you standing there in the pouring rain? You’re going to get a cold.”

“I like the rain.” Was her simple answer, he just chuckled.

“And why is that?”

“It’s peaceful. Haven’t you ever noticed how right before it rains, everything just stops, just waiting for the rain. Then when it’s all fallen, there’s a feeling of peace and contentment.” As if Mother Nature was listening, the pouring rain turned into a light sprinkle then stopped. William looked around, and noticed how true her words were. Everything was quiet and peaceful. He opened his eyes when he felt a hand on his arm.

“See what I mean?” Buffy asked, her wet hair falling over her shoulders, as rain droplets ran down her nose.

“Yea.” He whispered. She closed her eyes and inhaled, smiling.

“And don’t you just love the smell?” He breathed in the scent.

“Peaceful and content.” He whispered. She opened her eyes and gazed up at him. “You’re amazing, Buffy. And you’re beautiful.”

“Thank you.” She said softly, lost in his blue eyes. He began to caress her cheek absentmindedly. She leaned into his touch and closed her eyes. He leaned in and brushed his lips against hers.