“Do you mind me asking what has gotten you so upset?” Angel smiled as he helped Buffy stand up.

“It’s nothing. I’m just having a bad day. It was nice meeting you.” She turned to walk away but he grabbed her arm.

“What’s your name, miss?”

“Elizabeth.” For some reason Buffy didn’t want this stranger to call her by her nick-name. That name was something only people close to her could call her, and she didn’t want this man knowing it.

“Well, it’s very nice to meet you Elizabeth. Would you mind taking a walk with me?” Before Buffy could answer, another voice interrupted her.

“Yes, she does mind.” William practically growled through clenched teeth. He suddenly felt an extreme amount of rage that he didn’t know he could posses. He had seen red when he saw Angel talking to Buffy. How could that poofter think he was worthy of someone like Buffy? His Buffy.

“Oh, William, how nice to see you.” Angel said, smiling with a wicked grin.

“Get away from her, you wanker.”

“What’s with the hostility, Will? I thought we were friends. I let you court my sister without hesitation. Why can’t I help a troubled maiden on the street?”

“Because she doesn’t want your help. She’s with me.” Spike stood on his tip-toes to be nose-to-nose with the taller man.

“Oh, really? Why don’t you ask her?” Angel said with a laugh as they both turned towards Buffy.

She didn’t know what to do. She was furious with William, but on the other hand she had no interest in being with this Angel fellow. And did he say that William was courting his sister? That must have been the woman she had seen him with. What she didn’t no was whether or not his feelings were genuine. Making a decision out of rage, she stuck her chin out defiantly and said, “I’m with no one. You’re both pigs and I want nothing to do with either of you.” With that she turned and stomped off in the direction of her house.

William stared in astonishment at her retreating back. How could she say that? Did she really think he was interested in Drusilla? He had to prove how much he cared for her. How much he… loved her.
“Buffy, wait luv, please.” He pleaded as he ran after her.

Angel stood there boiling up with anger. How could she deny him? What did William have that he didn’t? How was this Buffy woman better than his sister? With his temper rising he headed back to the mansion to figure out a plan. William and his lover would get what they deserved. He was sure of it.

“Buffy wait, please. We need to talk.” William finally caught up with her and spun her around to face him. Her cheeks were stained with tears, caused by him he was sure. She wouldn’t meet his eyes; just kept her vision on the ground. “Drusilla, that woman you saw me with, she means nothing.” He lifted her chin with his finger so he could look into her eyes. “You, you are what matters to me. You’re my world and I can’t imagine my life without you.”
“But y-you kissed her.” Buffy sniffed.

“She kissed me, luv. I have no interest in her at all and I told her that.”

“Then why were you with her?” Buffy asked uncertainly.

“Because Da’ was trying to find a potential bride for me. I told her to leave town.”

“But…”

“I don’t want anything to do with her, I promise.” He used his thumb to wipe away a tear from her face. “I want to be with you, and only you. I love you, Buffy. I think I loved you the minute I met you.”

Buffy’s heart raced in her chest at hearing his words. She never would have imagined that one day he would be saying these words to her. She smiled and wrapped her arms around him to pull him close for a kiss. It stared out as gentle but quickly became needier as his tongue trailed over her bottom lips asking for entrance. She granted it and their tongues dueled in an ancient dance.

When she finally pulled away for air she laid her forehead against his. “I love you too, William. I have since I was sixteen.” They kissed again, passionately, oblivious to the people in the streets staring at them in disgust, and the pair of jealous eyes watching them from the shadows.