Buffy walked into her house and into the kitchen. Her mother was making soup. Buffy sat down at the table and began cutting carrots for her mother. She was still in a dreamy state and it was obvious.
“What happened that made you so happy?” Her mother asked.

“The Duke’s son, William, was in town and I met him!”

“You met William? What was he like?”

“He was charming, and handsome and very nice. He kissed my hand.” Joyce Summers shook her head. She knew about her daughters crush on William, and she didn’t want her to get her hopes up.

“Buffy, don’t take what he did seriously. I’m sure he was just trying to make a good impression.” Buffy sighted, knowing her mom was right.

“Yea, I know. He was so perfect though. I wish I could at least see him again. Maybe we could be friends.” She frowned at her statement. “Life stinks.”

Rupert Giles sat in his study reading when his son came home. He was worried that William wouldn’t be ready for his future life. He was a very rebellious child and rarely listened. He had told him not to go out in town, yet he did any way. He listened as his son walked up the stairs and shut the door to his bedroom. He sighed, taking his glasses off to clean them.

William lied down on his bed and let out a sigh. He hadn’t stopped smiling since he had left Buffy. There was something about this girl that made him happy. His heart fluttered at the thought of seeing her again, which was probably unlikely. .

His door opened and his grandmother walked in. Rose Mary Giles was a very spirited 70 year old woman. She had long white hair that hung in a braid down her back. She was a little chubby and about 5’6 tall. She was like a mother to William and see was very observant.

“Who’s the girl?” She asked with a knowing smile.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” He said defiantly.

“I’ve known you long enough, William, to be able to tell when there’s a girl. Now who is it?”

“Her name’s Buffy. I met her when I went in town. There’s just something about her that…” he trailed off. “I’m such a ponce.” He sighed sitting up and putting his head in his hands.

“You’re not a ponce, William. You’re in love.” He let out a chuckle.

“I ‘m not in love. I barely now the girl.”

“That doesn’t matter. Love, real love, true love, happens in an instant. It doesn’t matter how well you know each other.” She stroked his temple. “You should go out and find this girl. She obviously made an impression.”

“How can you know?”

“I can see it in your eyes, William. Now go find her before you miss out on something wonderful.” With that she placed a kiss on his forehead and left.

William jumped up and went to the stables. He saddled up on his horse and headed to town. He came upon a crowd in the street. It looked like there had been some kind off accident. A carriage was toppled over along with a fruit stand. Everyone was gathered around something in the street. He got off the horse and quickly made his way through the crowd. He looked at the form on the ground. Shock overtook him and his heart twisted.

“Buffy?”