“Do you ‘ave any idea jus’ ‘ow beautiful you are?” he whispered as he leaned down to kiss her, their first kiss ever...

The phone rang and woke Elizabeth Anne Summers, better known as Buffy, from her almost pleasant dream.

‘Dammit,’ she thought, ‘always when it starts to get good.’

She looked at her clock and noted that it was 7:00 AM, 30 minutes before her alarm was scheduled to go off.

She picked up the phone and said, “Whoever this is better have a damn good reason for calling this early!”

“Buffy?”

“Willow!!! Oh my god!!! It’s been years since I’ve seen or talked to you. How are you? Is everything ok?”

“Oh goddess, yes, Buffy...why do you sound so panicked?”

“Well, Will, it is 7 in the morning, and most calls I get to chat don’t come until at least 10 or later.”

“I am SO sorry!!! It’s 10 where I am. I guess I didn’t think about the time difference. If you want to go back to sleep, I completely understand, I’m just so sor…”

“Willow! It’s ok…I’m up now, and it’s good to hear your voice, so tell me what’s up?”

“Well, I thought I remembered that it was getting close to time for Dawn’s college graduation, and when we graduated high school, we made that pact that we would stay in touch and visit, even if it took as long as Dawnie’s college graduation for it to happen.”

Buffy laughed, “Oh, yes, I remember that. And, you’re right…Dawn graduates from UCLA in…goodness, I guess it’s about a month.”

Willow smiled at the now seemingly happy tone of her old friend’s voice.

“I wouldn’t miss it for the world, Buffy.”

“Do you think Xander remembers that pact we made, too?”

“I’ll be sure and, um, remind him when I get home.”

“Willow Rosenberg!!! How did I not know the two of you were together??”
“Well, he flew up to Boston about 2 months ago and told me that he had traveled all over looking for the one that completed him, and his path led him to me. We’re getting married in November.”

“Well, I’m glad I found out about it before the actual wedding!!! Please tell him I said hello, and I look forward to seeing you both at Dawn’s graduation. I’m sorry I have to go, but it’s time for me to start getting ready for work.”

“Oh, sure, yeah, I completely understand. I’ll call closer to time for us to come and let you know when we’re flying in, ok?”

“Sounds great! Talk to you later, Will.”

Buffy hung up the phone and shook her head. Six years had passed since they had last seen each other. Willow moved away to go to college at M.I.T., and they had tried to keep their friendship what it had been when she left, but distance had eventually taken its toll as the phone calls that started out once a week gradually decreased to nothing.

Buffy had stayed close to Sunnydale for her college career. She went to UCLA and had graduated in 3 ½ years with, not only a B.A., but also Honors in Art History with a double minor in English Literature and Business. She had worked for a couple of years in L.A. as an art consultant for a well known gallery but had moved back home when she received a phone call telling her that her mother was very ill. Not long afterwards, her mother had died, and Buffy was forced to take over her mother’s art gallery and start a new life in a place she hadn’t been for 5 ½ years.

As she sat and pondered Willow’s call, other memories of another time and another place threatened to occupy her thoughts. Before they could, though, her phone rang again.

‘I’m already going to be late for work as it is, I’ll just let the machine pick this one up.’

She heard the greeting she had recorded and the beep which was followed by a voice that had haunted her for the past 6 years.

“Buffy, this is William. Don’t know if you remember me, but jus’ called to tell you ‘ll be in town on my way to L.A. for Connor’s graduation in ‘bout three and a ‘alf weeks. ‘d love to see you if you’re free. Call me back, please. My number is…”

Buffy froze and her heart leaped into her chest at the sound of his voice and his message.

‘He wants to see me?!?!’ she thought, ‘After all these years…’

With a final look at the clock, she hurried to the bathroom to get a shower and start her day and decided that her questions could wait until after work to be thought about.



Review for more, and please be gentle, this is my first fanfic, ever.