Soon enough, it was time for summer vacation. It seemed that all the students were looking forward to a much needed break from school, all except for Buffy and William. They weren’t going to have much of an opportunity to see each other over the break. Buffy’s mother had informed her the week before, that she needed to go on a business trip for a month to Europe and she wanted both of her daughters to join her. William, on the other hand, was going to be stuck in Sunnydale with his father for the summer.

On the last day of school, before Buffy had to go home and pack, they said a tearful good-bye in the parking lot. Buffy cried and promised to write him letters every day to let him know how much she missed him, and William’s eyes got a little teary as he realized he wouldn’t be able to see her until school started. They both understood that even when Buffy returned, the risk of seeing each other would be too great since their friends would be out of town, and they wouldn’t be able to go out alone because of Giles’ suspicions.

Buffy left for Europe, and although she didn’t write William every day, she did manage to get a letter or a postcard to him once a week. William began writing her back at the address of the hotel she was staying at. The letters started off casual with always an “I miss you” at the end, but neither one had the courage to be the first to say “I love you.”

One particular day, William was feeling very lonely and was missing Buffy even more than usual. He sat down to write her a letter he didn’t intend to send in order to get his feelings out.

‘Dearest Buffy, I feel more alone today than I have since you left. I can’t help but wonder if you miss me as much as I miss you. These past months that we have been together have been the best ones of my life. I can hardly believe that a beautiful girl such as yourself could ever care for me the way I do for you. You deserve so much more than I can give you, yet you seem to be happy with just me. I’ve realized something very important while you’ve been gone. I knew I was falling for you during the school year, but now I am quite certain that I am completely in love with you. Being with you fills me with a joy I can’t put into words, and I can only hope that you share my feelings. I intend to tell you this when school begins and I can finally see you again. I miss you so much. All my love, William’

He addressed the envelope and intended to give it to her the first day of school if he found he couldn’t say the words aloud.

Giles knew that his son and Buffy had been writing letters back and forth, and even though he was suspicious of the depth of his son’s feelings for the girl, he didn’t pry and continued to hope it was only correspondence between two close friends. He came in William’s room one day while William was running errands, and he spotted the envelope on William’s desk. Thinking that his son had intended to send the letter, he took it and put it in the mailbox. That afternoon when William got home, he noticed the letter was missing. He became frantic and considered asking his father if he had seen it, but he knew that would start a conversation about him and Buffy that he didn’t want to deal with while she was still away.

A few weeks went by with no letter or postcard from Buffy, and William was more than a little concerned. Then, a week after Buffy was scheduled to have arrived back home from Europe, a post card with a Sunnydale postmark came in the mailbox. On the back, written in large letters were simply the words, “I LOVE YOU, TOO!!”

William was both upset that his father had apparently sent the letter he had been meaning to give to her the first day of school and elated that she did in fact return his love. He set the mail on the counter and accidentally left the post card in the stack. He went up to his room to write another letter and send it to her at her house, choosing to keep in touch with her through mail instead of phone calls that his father might overhear.

He was in the middle of a very heartfelt letter when a gentle knock came at his door.

“Come in,” William said, not bothering to look up to see who it was.

Giles stepped in the room with the postcard in his hand.

“William, I believe we need to have a talk,” he said, obviously very tense.

William looked up to see his father standing there with Buffy’s post card.

“Um, Da’, it’s not what it sounds like…I, uh, well, that is…”

“You lied to me, William. There’s obviously been something going on between the two of you for longer than I thought. Why did you deliberately go against my rules?”

William knew he had no option other than to tell his dad the truth.

“I love ‘er, Da’. I am completely in love with ‘er,” William said quietly.

“I see,” Giles said,” and I’m sorry, but I can’t go back on my rules, William. You must break it off.”

William felt the prick of tears at his eyes, but all he did was nod. He refused to look at his father as he said, “I understand. I’ll do it first thing when school starts.”

However, Giles wasn’t finished, “Son, I hope you know I have your best interests at heart. You’ve come too far with your grades to risk losing it for some girl that may not be around in a year, or even a month. And I can’t let the fact that you lied to me go unpunished, so you’re grounded for the next month and a half. You cannot go out with your friends and there will be no use of the phone. Also, if I find another letter addressed to Buffy, you’ll be grounded for even longer than that.”

William turned away, determined to not let his father see him cry. As soon as the door to his room shut, he climbed into bed, holding on to his pillow for comfort and to muffle the sobs as he cried himself to sleep.