The rest of Buffy’s day went by uneventfully, and she hurried home to relax and reflect on memories of days long ago…

It was the first day of her sophomore year of high school in Sunnydale, and she was running late getting to her first class of the day, English. As she rounded a corner in the hall, she bumped into someone and books went flying. Buffy took a moment to collect herself and immediately began apologizing.

“Oh my gosh!!! I am so sorry, I wasn’t even watching where I was going!!! I just…I’m running late for my first class, and…”

A smooth, quiet British accent cut her off, “’S ok, luv. Actually, you aren’t late just yet. Still got a couple of minutes before the late bell. Where are you headed in such a hurry?”

Buffy looked up into the bluest eyes she had ever seen. While she was mesmerized by the color, she also took the time to notice that they belonged to a young man who had an unruly mop of light brown hair, glasses, and he was dressed in a tweed suit.

She smiled and replied, “I’m headed for English literature. I don’t believe I know you, are you new here?”

The young man answered, “Well, yes, I am. My da’s the new librarian here. We just moved here about a month ago, and I got here early to explore the halls and learn where my classes are. My name’s William Ellingson, and you are?”

Buffy stuck her hand out, and as he shook it, she said, “I’m Buffy Summers, William. It’s nice to meet you. Where’s your first class?”

William smiled and said, “Well, coincidentally, it’s English literature as well, but ‘ve got to go to the library first. Da’ wanted to speak with me.”

“Oh, well, then I guess I’ll see you in a few minutes,” Buffy replied with a smile before she resumed her path to English.

“Guess so,” William said quietly as he watched her go.


Buffy was shaken from the remembrance of their first meeting by the telephone.

“Hello?”

“Buffy, hey!”

“Oh, hey there Dawn…how does it feel to be graduating in a month?”

“It’s so great!! I can’t believe that in a month, I will be a fully functioning member of society.”

Buffy laughed and said, “Does this mean you’ll stop borrowing money from me when that happens?”

“Hey! I only needed that money last month to help out for food when you came to visit me!” Dawn replied, knowing her sister was teasing her.

“Yeah, I know. So to what do I owe the pleasure of this call? Just calling to chat?”

“Well, actually, I was talking to Connor…”

“Talking to your boyfriend, what a surprise!”

“Ok, can we stop with the sarcasm? There is an actual connection between our conversation and the reason for my call.”

“Well?”

“He told me William, I mean Spike, is coming to graduation and that he mentioned stopping in Sunnydale on his way here.”

“And that has what to do with me?”

“Well, the two of you used to be…close, and I know he has a fiancée now, but she can’t make it to graduation, so I just wondered if maybe you might try to see him while he’s in town.”

Buffy sighed, “Dawn, that was years ago. And, actually, he called this morning and left a message letting me know that he was going to be in town for a few days. I just don’t know, though…”

“Buffy!! He wants to see you!! That’s wonderful!!”

“I guess, but it’s been years since the last time I saw him. How am I supposed to handle making casual conversation with someone that I…”

“Am still in love with?”

“Dawn!! I told you that was years ago. I just don’t want things to be awkward, and I’m afraid they would be if we saw each other for longer than to just say ‘hello’.”

“Buffy, seriously, give it some thought. Connor said when he called that he asked about you and wanted to know how you’re doing and what you’re up to these days.”

“He was just trying to be polite, Dawnie. But, I guess I’ll think about it. I’m not making any promises, though, ok?”

Dawn squealed, “Yay!!”

“Dawn…” Buffy said warningly.

“I know, I know, it was years ago, but I really think it would do the two of you some good to see each other and catch up on old times.”

“I guess…Oh! And by the way, Willow called me this morning, too, and she and Xander are planning on coming in town for your graduation as well.”

“Really?!?! Wow, I haven’t seen either one of them in years. This is going to be so great!!”

“I hope so. Dawn, I’ve got to go. I foresee a long, hot bath and a relaxing night in the nearby future that I’d really like to get started on.”

“Ok, that’s cool. I’ll talk to you later. Love you!”

“Love you, too, Dawnie. Bye!”

Buffy hung up the phone and thought about the conversation she’d just had with her sister.

‘Well, I’m not going to get anything accomplished by sitting here thinking about questions I don’t have the answers to. After my bath, I’ll listen to his message again and decide if I want to call him back or not.’


Thank you SO much for reviews, they make me happy!!! Also, fair warning, there will be hints of other potential pairings with both Spike and Buffy, but this story will DEFINITELY have a happy Spuffy ending.