Buffy headed up to her bathroom and began running the water. Once she was settled in the bath, her thoughts once again drifted to memories she usually did her best not to think about…

When William had finally entered the room, Buffy looked over at her best friend, Willow Rosenberg, and noticed that her jaw had dropped at the sound of his accent. After class let out, the two friends stood in the hall, talking, before they had to part ways for their next class.

“Willow?” Buffy said in a teasing tone, “Did I see the look of a forming crush on the new guy?”

Willow blushed and looked away before replying, “Well, he seems really smart, so big plus for me, I’m not the only brain in our grade anymore. And his glasses are so cute, and did you hear his accent?”

Buffy smiled, “Yeah, the way he talks is pretty cool. I think you should definitely try to get to know him better. I bumped into him in the hall this morning, and he seems like a really nice guy. A little nerdy for my taste, but you’re really into smart guys, so definitely more your type than mine.”

“Yeah, maybe…oh my gosh, I’ve got to head to class before I’m late, Buffy. See you at lunch?”

“Sure, Will, see you then.”

They each left to go to their next class. Buffy’s was Algebra II, and Willow had Advanced Trig./Pre-Cal that met in the library due to the lack of students that met the requirements for the class and were interested in taking something so advanced.

Willow walked in the library to find it seemingly empty.

“Hello?” she called semi-quietly, “Is anyone here?”

“ ‘ll be right there, just a moment please,” a voice from the back responded.

Willow walked over to a table and set her books down. She looked up to see a man come around a corner of one of the shelves. He walked over to her and smiled.

“ Hello, I am the new librarian here, Rupert Giles Ellingson, and you are?”

“Oh, I’m Willow…Willow Rosenberg. My schedule said that Advanced Trig./Pre-cal is supposed to meet in here?”

“Oh, yes, yes it is,” Mr. Ellingson replied, “but unfortunately I received a note this morning informing me that your teacher, Ms. Everett, has become ill and won’t be in today. I would suggest using this time for a study hall if it wasn’t the first day of school, but since it is, you’re welcome to look at any of the books or sit quietly, whichever you would prefer.”

Willow looked around the library and back at Mr. Ellingson, “I thought other people were supposed to be in this class, Mr. Ellingson. Why am I the only one here?”

“Oh, my dear, please call me Giles. I may be English, but ‘m not much for formalities with names. And, yes, I suppose the other students are just running late.”

At that moment, the door opened, and William and another boy walked in.

“There are your other classmates now, Willow.”

‘Hey, Da’,” William greeted his father, “Where’s the teacher?”

“She is ill today, William. All of you just use this time to engage in a quiet activity, and if you need anything, I’ll be in the back shelving books.”

The three of them sat at the table where Willow had set her books, and for a few minutes, only awkward silence surrounded them.

Willow was the first to break the silence with a question to William.

“Hey, you’re in my English class, right?”

“I believe so,” William replied, “I remember your red hair.”

Willow blushed and turned to the other boy sitting at the table with them.

“Hi, I’m Willow Rosenberg, what’s your name?”

The boy looked up and nonchalantly replied, “I’m Daniel Osbourne, but everyone calls me ‘Oz’.”

“Oh, as in ‘The Wizard of’…that’s really neat,” Willow replied with a laugh.

The three engaged in conversation for the rest of the period, and Willow learned that Oz had his own band and aspired to be a professional musician once he finished high school. Every time she would look at William, though, she would blush and have to look away after a few seconds. Once she found she couldn’t speak to him without stuttering, she left the conversation to the two boys and just sat and enjoyed listening to William’s accent. Soon enough class was over, and the rest of the day until lunch passed rather quickly.

When the bell rang signaling lunch period, Willow met Buffy at the table they had shared for the past 2 years.

“Hey, Will, how’s your day been so far?” Buffy greeted her.

“It’s been ok, I guess. I have 2nd period with William, and I tried to talk to him, I really did, but, Buffy, every time I would look at him, I could feel my face heat up, and I had to look away before it got too bad,” Willow answered, sounding defeated, “How am I ever going to get to know him better when I blush every time I look at him?”

Buffy smiled at her friend, “Sounds like you’re crushing on him pretty hard there, Will. I’m sure it’ll get better the more you’re around him.”

“I hope so,” Willow responded.

“If you need any help or advice on this, Will, just ask, and I’ll be glad to do whatever I can, ok?”

“Really, Buffy? You’d really help me?” Willow squealed.

At that moment, another young man joined their table. They both looked up to see the third of their original group of friends, Xander Harris.

“Hello, Ladies,” Xander greeted them both, “Who’s helping who with what?”

“Hey, Xan, “they both greeted him with a smile.

Buffy explained, “Willow has a crush, and she gets all blushy around him, so I offered any help or advice I could give.”

Willow turned back to Buffy, “You’re so much better at getting to know people than I am. Could you try to talk to him and put in a good word for me and find out more about him?”

Buffy sighed, “Sure, Will, I’ll do what I can and I’ll get back to you with the results.”

Xander tried to join in the conversation, “Who’s the crush guy, Will?”

Willow searched the cafeteria for the British young man, and she finally discovered him sitting at a table with Oz, just the two of them.

She smiled dreamily and said, “He’s over there.”

Xander turned to look at him and said, “Oh, a new guy, huh? Glasses, tweed suit, I’d say he’s definitely in the brain category.”

Willow sighed and said, “Yeah, I know…”

“The next time I see him, I’ll try to start a conversation and I’ll let you know the results, Will, ok?” Buffy asked her friend who was currently staring at William.

“Huh? Oh, sure, yeah…thank you so much, Buffy!!” Willow exclaimed, finally coming out of her daze.

When lunch was over, the three friends parted ways to finish out the rest of their day.


Buffy remembered that day as if it had just happened, and she smiled.

‘My matchmaking skills were such a failure, but fortunately, Willow wasn’t completely disappointed.’

She realized the water had gotten cold, so she got out, toweled off, put on an old t-shirt and sweatpants, and headed downstairs to listen to her answering machine.