The message played over and over again as she committed the sound of his voice and his phone number to memory.

“Buffy, this is William. Don’t know if you remember me, but jus’ called to tell you ‘ll be in town on my way to L.A. for Connor’s graduation in ‘bout three and a ‘alf weeks. ‘d love to see you if you’re free. Call me back, please. My number is…”

Didn’t know if she’d remember him?!?! How the hell could she possibly forget???

‘Hmmm, three and a half weeks, huh? Well, I guess it’s time I either do something about this or wonder “what if?” for even longer than I already have.’

With a deep breath, before she could lose her nerve, she picked up the phone and dialed the number he’d left on the machine.

After the fourth ring, an answering machine picked up.

“Hi, you’ve reached Spike Ellingson and Drusilla Worthington. We’re not in right now, but if you’ll leave your name, number, and a short message after the beep, we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.”

At the sound of the beep, Buffy said, “Hi, um, this is Buffy Summers, and I’m calling for Willia, er, Spike…Spike, if you could call me back when you get in, I’d…”

Suddenly she heard the answering machine cut off and a voice say, breathlessly, “ ‘ello? Buffy?”

“William…” Buffy breathed, “Um, hello…I got your message and was just calling you back…”

“Yeah, hello, luv, long time no see…or hear from. How’re things back in good ol’ Sunny D?” William asked, sounding as confident as she remembered from the last time they spoke.

“They’re ok, I guess. I wanted to stay in L.A., but after Mom got sick, I didn’t really have any choice but to move back here. How are you and…how are you doing?” Buffy asked nervously twisting the phone cord around her fingers.

“ ‘m good…really good. I ‘ave plans to be married within the next year. I heard ‘bout your mum. Real sorry ‘bout that. She was a great lady…wish I could’ve made it to the funeral, but I didn’t find out until after it ‘appened.”

“Yeah, it’s fine. It was a small ceremony, but I think it’s what she would’ve wanted. And, yeah, congratulations on being engaged. I heard that you have a fiancée from Dawn, and I’m, um, really glad that you’re happy,” Buffy said quietly, her heart breaking all over again from the memories of her mother and of hearing the words ‘getting married’ from his mouth instead of secondhand.

There was an awkward silence, and finally William spoke again.

“So, ‘m gonna be in town in a few weeks, Thought it’d be nice to see you again, catch up on the past few years an’ such.”

Even though Buffy was pretty sure she knew the answer to her next question, thanks to Dawn, she asked it anyway.

“Will Drusilla, I guess is your fiancée’s name, be with you?”

“Oh, no, she ‘as to work the days ‘ll be gone, put in extra hours at the office or some such nonsense. It’ll jus’ be me.”

“Oh, ok, well, I’d really like that, to see you and to catch up. It’s been a long time, William,” Buffy finished wistfully.

“Yes, Buffy, I know…” William trailed off, sounding almost as wistful as Buffy had.

“And when are you goin’ to start callin’ me ‘Spike’?” William finished, trying to lighten the tone of the conversation.

Buffy smiled at his obvious attempt and tried to respond in a lighter tone as well, but it failed miserably as she said, “You were never ‘Spike’ to me, William.”

William sighed heavily and at a seeming loss for words, he said, “Yeah, well, uh, sorry luv, but ‘ve gotta run. ‘ll give you a ring when I get in town, yeah?”

“Sounds good. I look forward to hearing from you.”

“Ta, luv.”

After she heard the click of his side being hung up, she replaced the receiver and softly said, “Goodbye, William.”