It was a couple of weeks after the semester started before Buffy had her first chance to talk to William about Willow. The redhead talked to Buffy for hours on end about the most recent “cute” thing William had done that had her crushing even harder than before. Hell, Willow had even Buffy noticing the minute things he did that appeared adorable to her, like in English when he would concentrate on answering the teacher’s questions about the meaning behind what they happened to be reading, he would tilt his head ever so slightly as he pondered the answer.

Buffy was glad that he so wasn’t her type, because if he had been, she would’ve been all over him thanks to Willow infatuation with noticing the things he did.

It was on a Friday afternoon that Buffy got her big chance. Apparently her teacher for her last class of the day had been unable to come up with things to keep the class busy, so she told them to go to the library and find something there.

Buffy made her way to the library and noticed that the other students decided to take the rest of the day off as they headed out to the parking lot. If she had a car, she probably would’ve done the same thing, but since she didn’t, she decided to make the best of it and wait out the rest of the class in the library.

She walked in to find William helping his dad shelve books that were too high for Giles to reach. The one different thing she did notice about him was that although he was still wearing tweed, he had taken off his jacket and tie, unbuttoned the top button of his white shirt, and rolled the sleeves up, giving her a glimpse of his strong arms that had otherwise been hidden by his clothes.

‘Ooh, what do you know? William does have muscles underneath all the formal clothes.’

She paused for a moment to admire his arms before shaking herself from her thoughts back to the real reason she was there.

‘ No, Bad Buffy…must talk to William for Willow, for my best friend, NOT for me. Besides, hello, so not my type!!’

William had heard the door to the library open, and after he finished the last stack of books, he turned to see who it was.

Buffy walked over to where he was standing and said, “Hi, William, I don’t know if you remember meeting me, but I’m…”

“Buffy Summers. Course I remember you. Not too often girls bump into me and then apologize for it,” William smiled shyly at her.

“Yeah, well, I’m glad you’re here. I need to talk to you about something, or someone, actually.”

William’s heart started beating faster. Sure, there were lots of attractive girls at Sunnydale High, but ever since she bumped into him the first day, he had been absolutely taken with her. He had never had such a beautiful girl apologize for bumping into him, as if he actually mattered and wasn’t just taking up space, which is the look he usually received if a girl accidentally bumped into him. Too shy to make a move, but he watched in the halls for a glimpse of her when he was sure she wouldn’t notice.

“Why don’t we sit over here?” he walked over to a nearby table.

Once they were seated, he looked at her curiously, waiting for her to start the conversation.

“Right, so my friend Willow, you do know Willow Rosenberg, right?”

William nodded, “Yeah, I know her. Redhead, ‘as a tendency to blush and stutter when she talks?”

Buffy smiled, “Well, that’s the thing. That kind of thing only happens around you, because, well, I think Willow has sort of a crush on you.”

William’s eyes grew wide, and his heart dropped. She was putting in a good word for her friend…it wasn’t her with the interest, it was Willow.

“Oh, well, uh, she’s a nice bird. Real sweet, and the blushing and stuttering is kind of, well, cute, actually.”

“So, does that mean you’d try going out on a date with her?”

“Well, thing is, I sort of have another interest…,” William began.

Buffy cut him off, “Oh please! It would mean SO much to her, really!! Just one date, and if you don’t want any more than that, then I’ll do my duty as her best friend and listen while she goes through getting over you.”

William sighed, “Ok, ’ll do it. Just tell me when and where, and’ ll be there. But ‘m only promising one date.”

Buffy squealed and jumped up right as the bell signaling the end of the day rang.

“Thank you so much!! And I’m sure the two of you will get along great!! I’ll talk to her and try to convince her to tell you the plans the next time she sees you. Oh, and William?”

“Yeah?”

“You might want to try another clothing option other than the tweed…at least for when the two of you go out. Just a suggestion,” Buffy said as she hurried out of the library to call her best friend and tell her the good news.