The week passed by slowly, as it tends to when there’s something exciting coming up, but soon enough, it was Friday. The girls decided to get dressed at Buffy’s house and meet the guys at the restaurant.

That evening, the girls left Buffy’s house half an hour early because neither one could contain their excitement. Willow was dressed in the top and jeans Buffy had picked out the previous weekend, and Buffy had with a short denim skirt and a bright red tank top. They arrived at the restaurant, nick named “The Godfather” for the excellent Italian food they served. Parker and William were waiting for them near the entrance. Apparently they hadn’t been able to wait until seven, either.

As they walked toward them, Buffy’s eyes weren’t fixed on Parker as his were on her. No, instead, she found that her eyes kept coming back to William .It appeared that William had taken care of his own makeover that afternoon. He had gotten his hair cut short and had it styled with a few spiked ends in the front. That surprised her, but what made her knees go weak was when she noticed how well the royal blue polo shirt matched his sparkling…beautiful…blue eyes, which weren’t hidden by the thick glasses he always wore.

“Did you get contacts?” Buffy blurted out once they had reached the guys.

William ducked his head, pleased that she had noticed he looked different.

“Yeah, was sick of my glasses,” he said with a shrug.

Parker noticed the looks Buffy kept giving William, so he walked over and took her hand.

“You look beautiful, Buffy. Are we all ready to go in?”

Buffy blushed at the compliment. “Thanks, Parker. Yeah, we’re ready.”

The meal went by uneventfully, except for the fact that Buffy and William continued stealing glances at the other when they weren’t looking. Although Buffy and William might not have noticed the glances, both Parker and Willow did. When they had arrived, Willow had completely calmed down compared to how excited she had been when they first made the date. But with his hair cut short and the way he looked now, she felt herself losing interest. ‘Or maybe it’s just accepting defeat,’ Willow’s inner voice told her.

Parker on the other hand was seething. What did that nerd think he was doing anyway, the way he kept looking at Buffy?!?! And why the hell did she keep returning the looks?!?! This might’ve been their first date, but it still angered him that he didn’t have Buffy’s full attention. He kept his cool, though, and continued to try and charm her with compliments and gentle touches.

After dinner, the four started to head to the Bronze. Buffy noticed that Willow looked absolutely depressed, and she took her aside to find out what was wrong.
Willow could barely look her in the eye as she said, “I guess I’m just not feeling well, Buffy. I think I’m going to go on home, but you go ahead and have a nice time. Call me tomorrow sometime .”

Before Buffy could try and convince her otherwise, Willow was gone. William noticed her walking away, and he came over to ask Buffy what was wrong.

Buffy, who was still looking confusedly after Willow, replied, “I have no idea. But I guess she just wasn’t feeling well. I guess I’ll call her later and see if she wants to talk about it then. You guys still up for Bronzing it, or would you rather not?”

Parker took an opportunity to glare at the young man who had held most of Buffy’s attentions that evening, “Not if the number of people going is going to be higher than two.”

Before William could get defensive, Buffy stepped in front of Parker with her arms crossed, and said icily, “And just what the FUCK is that supposed to mean, Parker?!?!”

Parker realized that he was very closing to pissing Buffy off and losing out on the rest of the evening, so he quickly tried to come up with a response. He reached out and brushed a strand of hair away from Buffy’s face and said gently, “I just want to spend some time with you, beautiful girl. Without this complete nerd being in the way.”

William overheard what he said and immediately began to walk away, completely embarrassed and humiliated. Of course he didn’t stand a chance with her! No amount of make over in the world could change that he was shy and a complete brain. Before he got too far away, though, he heard Buffy say, “Parker, that was very rude. William is new in town, and he doesn’t know that many people. He’s really nice, and if he wants to, he’s going to the Bronze with us. Now, if you have a problem with being nice to someone who’s new here, then maybe you don’t have to go.”

Parker couldn’t control his temper anymore after having watched the glances between the two for most of dinner. He began to storm away, and when he reached William, he looked condescendingly at him and said, “You’ll never be good enough for her to really be interested in you.”

Then he said, loudly enough for Buffy to hear, “Besides, all she was really good for was one thing, right? So it’s probably just as good that I go and find a girl that I might actually have a shot at more than innocent kisses outside the front door!”

William turned around and punched Parker as hard as he could in the face, breaking his nose. He then grabbed Parker by the shoulders and said, “You don’t EVER talk about a lady like that. You don’t EVER talk about THIS lady like that. Understand?”

William let go of his shoulders, and Parker ran off with blood dripping down his nose.

“Um, thank you,” he heard a soft voice behind him say.

“You’re welcome,” he replied, “Didn’t realize you’d heard all that.”

Buffy offered him a small smile and said, “You really are a nice guy, William. I don’t know anyone else who would’ve just done that for me.”

William looked down at her, and as their eyes met, they were both frozen…lost in the other one’s stare. He finally broke out of his daze and realizing it was now or never, he moved closer to her.

“Buffy?” he said quietly, afraid to disturb the moment they were having.

Buffy took a step forward, still holding his gaze and standing almost right in front of him.

“Yes, William?” she said, just as quietly.

William began turning bright red and broke their stares, looking at anything but her.

“William, what is it?”

William took a deep breath and closed the last bit of space between them as he leaned down and whispered, “Do you ‘ave any idea jus’ ‘ow beautiful you are?”

The statement caused Buffy to blush just as much as she ducked her head, breaking away from the emotions she saw in his eyes. He reached down with one finger, and lifted her chin until he was looking into her eyes once more.

“You’ll think this terribly forward of me, and I agree. And I know I was supposed to have a date with Willow tonight, but seeing as how she would hardly talk to me during dinner and left right afterwards without so much as a ‘good-bye’, er, what I’m trying to say, Buffy, is…well…would you mind too much if, um, well, if I were to…”

Buffy understood, or she thought she did, anyway, what he was trying to ask her. She reached up her hand to cup his cheek and looked him directly in the eyes.

“William,” she said, cutting him off, “Kiss me.”

William stood there in complete shock before Buffy had to reach up and drag his head down to meet hers in order to initiate the first kiss. Right as their lips were nearing, though, William took control and put both his hands on her face, cupping her cheeks. He brought her face up the rest of the way, and kissed her, gently but with a firmness as well that hinted he wasn’t completely inexperienced.

He pulled back enough to look her in the eyes and whispered, “May I do that again?”

Buffy’s response was to stand on her tiptoes and pull his head down to hers as she kissed him forcefully.

William was completely lost with the forcefulness of her kiss. God, this is what he had been looking for!! He had kissed another girl before he moved to Sunnydale, but those kisses had been absolutely nothing compared to this one. He knew he was falling for this girl, and fast.

Buffy tried to pull their bodies closer together, but William knew if she did, he would be frightfully embarrassed because she would immediately know exactly what an effect her kisses had on him. He pulled back from her again, in order to catch his breath.

It was then that Buffy’s pleasure filled haze seemed to clear and she realized that she had just been making out with her best friend’s date for that evening.

She instantly felt guilty, even though it had been she who had told him to kiss her.

‘I was just running off of appreciation for what he did to Parker, that’s all it was.’ she thought frantically.

William noticed the panicked look in her eyes, and before he could ask what was wrong, she said, “Um, sorry, William…I’ve…I’ve gotta go…right now. See you in class on Monday?”

Before he could say another word, she was already gone, and all William could do was stand there, dumbfounded, and think, ‘What the bloody hell jus’ ‘appened?!?!’