Buffy didn’t know how she had done it, but during the memories she had been reliving in her head, she had made it to the kitchen, fixed a small pizza, gone back to the living room, eaten it, and turned on the TV.

‘I kinda wish I wouldn’t have agreed to meet up with William when he comes down here. There is way too much that was left unresolved when he left for this to ever be just a meeting of old friends.’

Buffy needed someone to talk to about her current situation. Since she was pretty sure Dawn was out with Connor, that left her with the option of calling Willow, the one person who had supported Buffy through everything that happened throughout junior high and high school. When she moved away to college, Buffy knew she would never find a friend as good as Willow. She didn’t even bother trying.

She picked up her phone and scrolled through to find the number from that morning. After a couple of rings, another familiar voice answered the phone.

“Harris and Rosenberg’s place, soon to just be Harris’s.”

“Xander!!”

“Buffy?”

“Yeah!!! How are you?? It’s so good to hear your voice!!”

“Yeah, yours, too…how’d you get Willow’s number?”

“She called this morning to tell me that the two of you were coming in for Dawn’s graduation. Speaking of, is your wife-to-be there?”

Xander’s blush could almost be heard through the phone.

“Oh, guess the two of you really did have a chat, huh? Well, she’s actually not…wait a minute, she just walked through the door…Willow, honey? Phone for you!! And why did you not tell me that Buffy knew about us?”

Buffy heard a distant reply of, “I haven’t seen you since you left this morning for work, Xander!! I called her from work.”

“Oh, well, she’s on the phone.”

Buffy heard Willow pick up the phone as Xander hung up the phone he had been on.

“Hey, Buff!! What’s up?”

“Will, I know it’s been a while, but I really need someone to talk to.”

“Sure, Buffy, I don’t mind at all. What happened?”

“Well, apparently, you and Xander aren’t the only ones coming through here on your way to L.A. for their graduation in a few weeks.”

“Oh, Buffy, wow!! How do you know he’s coming?”

“I got another call this morning after yours, Will. He wants to see me, to go ‘grab a bite’ or something as old friends.”

“Have you talked to him? Or, did you talk to him?”

“Yeah,” Buffy sighed, “I called him about an hour ago, and did you know he’s living with his fiancée?”

“He has a fiancée? Oh, Buffy, I’m so sorry. Did you know before you called him?”

“Yeah, luckily Dawn called right when I got in from work and she gave me the news.”

“Well?? So what’d you say?”

“I told him I’d go and to give me a call when he gets in town.”

Willow had no response for that.

“Will, what am I going to do? I mean, it’s been 6 years, 6 damn years since I’ve seen him. So what’s my problem??”

Willow’s reply was quiet as she said, “You’re still in love with him, Buffy.”

“I can’t be, Willow!!! I absolutely cannot still be in love with him!! And if I am, then that means that I can’t go out to eat with him and listen about his fiancée like we’re just friends.”

“Buffy, I think you should see him. I mean, obviously he still cares or he wouldn’t want to see you. The final decision is up to you, but I think it’d be really good if you stuck with the one you’ve already made.”

Buffy laughed dryly, “That’s exactly what Dawn said. I just…Will, if I see him, that means I have to face everything that happened the last time I saw him, and I really don’t think I can do that. Not yet.”

“I understand, Buffy, I really do. And I’m really sorry, but I need to go. I had to work late tonight, and I have a bright and extremely early morning tomorrow. But if you need me, please don’t hesitate to call me. Seriously, see him…wear the classiest outfit you can find, and see him when he comes in town. Make him see that you’re ok without him, and he’ll fall right back in…if he’s not still there already. Don’t you remember saying the exact same thing to me in 10th grade after that disastrous date??”

Buffy laughed at the memory, “Yeah, I remember that pretty well, Willow. Thank you for making me smile, and I think that sounds like a really good idea. I’ll let you go for now, and thank you for being my friend and listening to me talk about this.”

“You’re welcome, Buffy, really anytime, and I hate to go, but I’m really about to drop.”

“Don’t worry about it, Will. With all the calls I’m probably going to be making over the next 3 weeks, they’ll more than make up for this one.”

“Alright, Buff. Talk to you later!”

“Later, Will!”

Buffy hung up the phone and remembered back to the day her friend had mentioned.

Buffy had tried to call Willow the day after their disastrous date with William and Parker, but every time she called, Willow’s mother would say she wasn’t feeling well.

Buffy finally caught up with her in the halls before their first class Monday morning.

“Will, are you ok??”

“Yeah, Buffy, I’m fine. I just, well, I wasn’t really feeling awful. I just saw the way William was looking at you, and I knew I didn’t have a chance so why even try?”

“Oh, Willow, I’m sorry. I don’t know what more to say.”

“It’s ok, Buffy. It’s just, why not me, ya know? Is there something wrong with me?”

“Oh, god, NO, Willow!!! You’re really cute and nice and smart and sweet, and any guy in the world would be lucky to date you!! William just doesn’t know what he’s missing!! Tell you what, tomorrow, wear something really adorable, and when he sees you, he’ll realize what he’s missing!!”

“You really think that?”

“I guarantee it!”

“Well, Buffy, quite honestly, I think with his new look, that the 2 of you fit together better than the 2 of us. Are you interested in him at all?”

Buffy immediately looked away from her friend and tried to lie to her, “Um, well, that is…no…not at all. I mean, don’t get me wrong, he’s a nice guy and everything, but no, still so not my type and that kiss the other night didn’t mean anything, and…”

‘HE KISSED YOU?!?!?!?!”

“SHHHHHH, Willow!!!” Buffy tried to quiet the screech before it came out of Willow’s mouth, but it was too late, and people were turning to see what was going on.

Buffy pulled Willow into the women’s restroom, and she told her about the rest of the previous Friday night, including the kiss she and William had shared. After she finished filling Willow in, she began apologizing for what had happened.

Willow quickly cut her off, “Buffy, it’s really ok. Yeah, I liked him, but the way he looks at you…it really is ok. Plus, I kinda met someone on my way home Friday night.”

“Willow!!! Who???”

“Do you remember the guy William was sitting with on the first day of school?”

“Yeah, kinda short, didn’t you tell me he goes by ‘Tin Man’ or something like that?”

“NO!! He goes by Oz, short for Osbourne, his last name?”

“Oh, yeah!! So what happened?”

“Not much…he walked me home, asked for my number, kissed me on the cheek, and told me he hoped my night got better.”

“Willow!!! What’d you say??”

“I blushed and said that it already had.”

Both girls squealed, and the first bell rang so they started to head to class.

Before they went in the room, though, Willow turned to Buffy and said, “So, are you and William going to date now?”

“I don’t know, Will. I kinda ran off after we kissed, and I haven’t talked to him since…but I think I might really like him.”

“Well, then you should tell him that.”

Buffy took a deep breath and said, “Ya know what? I think I will.”

With that, she walked bravely into English literature and straight back to William’s desk. He looked up at her cautiously, as if he was expecting her to really let him have it because of the kisses they shared Friday night.

She bent down next to his seat and took his hand.

“Do you think we could talk after school today?”

William was surprised to say the least, “Uh, sure, I guess. Meet you by the library after school? Is that ok?”

Buffy smiled at him, a real genuine smile, “It’s perfect. See you then, William.”

She took his hand and kissed it gently before she winked and went to her seat.

The day passed rather quickly, and before she knew it, the final bell had rung, and it was time to meet William.

She saw him standing outside the library, leaning against the wall, looking just as good as he had Friday night. Suddenly, she was unsure of what to say to him, how to bring the subject of their kiss up. Before she could run, though, he saw her and began to head toward her, meeting her halfway. When he was finally in front of her, she looked up at him and laughed nervously.

“William, “she began, “what I wanted to talk to you about it is…well, um, Friday night, I ran off, and I’m really sorry about that…so I just wanted to, um, apologize…and…um, yeah, just wanted to apologize, that’s all.”

William, as shy as he was, was determined to not let her go until she brought up the kiss.

“You went through an awful lot jus’ to apologize for running off, luv,” he said gently, scared that the wrong word would send her running again.

Buffy didn’t respond for the longest time, but when she finally did, she blurted out in a rush, “IalsowantedtotalktoyouaboutthekissesbecausetheywerereallyniceandIwasjustscaredbecauseyouwereWillow’sdateandallofasuddedIwaskissingyouandthen…”

William chuckled softly at her obvious nervousness, and he reached down and took her hand in his, causing her to look up at him, anticipating his response to her ramblings.

“Buffy,” he began, “I really like you, and ‘d love it if you would accept my invitation to dinner this coming Friday night.”

Buffy broke out in a big smile, and she breathed a sigh of relief.

“You want to date me?” she asked, shocked that he would really be interested in her.

“Yeah,” he said as he ducked his head and averted his eyes from hers,” ‘ve wanted to since I firs’ ran into you, lit’rally.”

She smiled at his shyness and accepted his offer of a date. Before she left, he pulled her behind a tree, and he started to lean down to kiss her again. She was more than willing, but before he could, he asked, “You aren’t goin’ to run away again, are you?”

She laughed before answering “no”, and once she did, he proceeded to kiss her the way he had been wanting to since the first time he saw her.

That day, when William arrived home, his father was waiting for him.

“Hi, Da’, is anything the matter?”

“William, son, who was the young lady I saw you walking with when you left the library today?”

William blushed and said, “She’s just a friend, Da'. Her name is Buffy Summers.”

“Just a friend, eh? Well, that’s all she’d better be because we have rules in this house. One of them is your schoolwork comes first, and your schoolwork can’t come first if your attentions are elsewhere on some girl. Do you understand me, William?”

“Yes, Da’, I understand,” William said, as his shoulders slumped and he went up to his room to contemplate just how he was going to make both his father and himself happy.



Hopefully, this was a little more dynamic, instead of only background story, background story, background story. This is going to be a fairly long story, so if it seems to be dragging, it may very well do that for a few chapters. It will definitely move along more in some than it does in others. Fair warning!!