Regaining Memories -- Part 9



Regaining Memories -- Part 9
Disclaimer
: Joss Whedon, Marti Noxon, Twentieth Century Fox Productions, UPN, Sandollar Television, and Mutant Enemy own BtVS. No copyright infringements were intended. This is my story and not meant to copy the show.
Note: Thanks for the feedback everyone! This is about it, we're almost done with the story, so enjoy the 2nd to last part!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
"We have a problem!" Anne said as she hurried through the doorway into Andrew's apartment.
"Anne!" Wilona and Alex called, standing and approaching their friend. "What happened?"
"Where's Spike?" Wilona asked.
"He's upstairs, sleeping in my apartment," Anne explained, trying not to smile or blush. "Those damn watchers tortured him...god, I hate them all." Andrew came through the doorway, clearing his throat. "Oh, present company excluded, of course."
"Naturally," Andrew said. "Now...what was this problem?"
"The watchers, they weren't part of the prophecy, Andrew," Anne explained. "Travers just came here to stop me from getting my memories; they had no part of this."
"Oh dear," Andrew said, rubbing his forehead. "Then...what is?"
"The end of the world…that's what Travers told me," Anne revealed.
"Again?!" Wilona and Alex yelled in surprise.
"Travers told me that there was something that would try to re-open the Hellmouth. Andrew, can they really do that?" Anne asked. Years ago, decades before Anne had been called, a slayer and a small group of friends had managed to permanently close the hellmouth. "I thought it was deactivated."
"Well, truthfully...so did I," Andrew admitted.
"What do we do?" Wilona asked in concern.
"Well...surprisingly enough, it's going to have to start with --" Andrew's voice was suddenly cut off when the ground beneath them started to shake. Andrew dropped the book he was holding and managed to stumble toward the three people standing in the middle of the room. "Hurry! In between a doorway!" he commanded.
Anne, Alex, and Wilona followed Andrew's orders and waited until the rumbling passed. "Wow...," Alex started after the shaking ended. "What do you think that was? A 3.4?"
Wilona took a nervous step away from the doorway where she had been standing. "Wow...that was my first major earthquake."
"That wasn't an earthquake," Anne said softly, when she remembered Buffy having a very similar experience.
"What?" Andrew asked. "Anne?"
"That...that was the hellmouth reopening."
 
"What? How do you know that?" Andrew asked her.
"I just know," she answered him seriously. "All right...we need to stop it from opening completely," she said in a commanding tone.
"How?" Alex asked. "We don't even know where the hellmouth is located anymore!"
"I know where it is," Anne stated. "It's where Sunnydale High School used to be..." everyone looked at her with blank stares. "The -- the high school back in 1999." she thought.
"What are you talking about, Anne?" Alex questioned her.
"It's where the middle school is," Anne said. "The high school got blown up and they rebuilt the middle school there."
"Oooh," replied the group.
"The hellmouth was located in the library and..." Anne's voice died off as she started walking over to Andrew's desk. She opened the cabinet and pulled out Giles' journal. She opened the book and flipped through several pages, her eyes skimming over the words and pictures before she stopped. Anne flattened out the page and stared at the layout of the school, a star located on the mouth of hell.
"Wil," she started. "I need blueprints of the current school," Anne said.
Wilona walked over to Andrew's table and turned on her laptop. "Okay," she said.
 
Anne walked up to her and lay the book next to the computer. "I want to find out where the library would be today if the school was still standing."
"All right," Wilona said, her fingers flying over the keys as she broke through the city's codes.
"Hurry, Wil...hurry," Buffy chanted underneath her breath.
"Here!" Wilona exclaimed. "Here are the blueprints."
Buffy looked down at Giles' book and his scratchy writing, and then back up to the computer screen, trying to figure out where they matched up. "There," she said, laying her finger on the screen. "I think it's going to open there."
 
~~~
 
"So...what's going to happen if the hellmouth opens? Anyone know?" Alex asked as he followed Anne, Andrew, and Wilona through the building. They were walking through Sunnydale Middle School, the grounds where the high school had once stood before Buffy blew it up.
"I do," Anne said in a soft, yet commanding tone.
"Yes, you seem to know what's going on better than I do," Andrew observed. "How is that exactly?"
"I'll tell everyone later," Anne stated.
"Maybe we should have brought Spike," Wilona suggested.
"Spike is in no condition to fight," Anne said. "I can't have him fighting if he's going to be a liability." she told herself. "Besides, I can handle it."
The gang rounded a corner and followed Anne as she walked through several different hallways. The blueprints had suggested that the hellmouth now rested underneath the cafeteria. Anne just hoped that Giles knew what he was doing when he drew the layout of the high school. "I think that there should be about...three demons trying to do this ritual thing."
"And....*how* do we know these things?" Alex asked.
"I'll explain everything...if we get through this," Anne said, looking around the corner. She stopped walking, frozen when she saw the demon standing on the floor. She looked past the demon and her mouth dropped open when she saw the huge crack in the floor, steam and sounds rising out of it.
Behind her, Wilona gasped as Alex whispered, "Nope, just one *really* big demon!"
The ground started shaking beneath their feet again and the gang grabbed onto the wall for support to keep themselves from falling. Anne watched the crack widen even more as the demon dropped something into the slit. Suddenly, a monster with three heads began rising out of the hellmouth, slime falling off its skin, and Anne knew that was just the beginning.
The ground started shaking beneath their feet again, and the gang grabbed onto the wall for support to keep themselves from falling. "We have to do this *now*!" Anne cried out. With that said, she pulled out the sword that had been sheathed in her belt and hidden inside her jacket. "Back me up, but don't get too close," she explained to her friends and watcher. And after saying that, she dashed into the room, prepared to do battle.
 
~~~
 TBC....
 
Epilogue to follow asap. Please let me know what you think of the story so far.