Regaining Memories -- Part 3



Once again, thank you for all the feedback and reviews left at ff.net. I'm glad that you are enjoying the ride, and continue to enjoy it as I keep posting. Thanks!
 
Regaining Memories -- Part 3
Disclaimer
: Joss Whedon, Marti Noxon, Twentieth Century Fox Productions, UPN, Sandollar Television, and Mutant Enemy own BtVS. No copyright infringements were intended. This is my story and not meant to copy the show.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
True to his word, Spike showed up the next night to help Anne train. He waited outside of Anne's apartment on the fourth floor while Anne changed into some decent workout clothes. When Anne walked through the doorway, Spike fought to keep his mouth from falling open.
There she was, the perfect embodiment of Buffy Summers. Dressed in a white tank top, gray sweat pants, and her hair pulled back in a slightly messy ponytail, Anne went through the doorway and smiled as she approached Spike.
"Hey," she greeted.
"Uh...hi," Spike replied.
"Andrew isn't here, but he said that we could work out in the gym. No one else is supposed to be there tonight, so we can have some privacy," Anne explained, starting out of the apartment. Spike followed her closely since he didn't know where the gym was. "So, did you help your slayer train, also?"
"Not really, love," Spike stated. "I, uh, had this stupid thing in my head that prevented me from hitting humans."
"Oh, is that why you helped her, then?"
Spike didn't know what to say without giving out too much information. "I don't think you really have to worry about that, pet. The chip doesn't work anymore, but I still help out. Trust me, it wasn't the chip," he said gruffly.
"Oh, touchy subject I guess," Anne replied, not wanting to bother him with too many questions. She led Spike down another hallway towards a closed door. "Okay, we're here." she said as she opened the door and crossed the threshold.
Spike shrugged off his black leather jacket and stood in front of her. "Okay, ready, love?" he asked.
"Pfft, of course I'm ready," Anne commented. "I'm ready to kick your ass." With that, the two started fighting.
 
~~~
 
"So...dish, girlfriend!" Wilona squealed when Anne showed up at the Golden Stake a few nights after Spike and Anne had started to spar. "What's he like? Details!"
"Wil, he's just helping me train," Anne maintained, sitting down at a table with Alex and Wilona. "We've been going at it for like six days, and I think I'm actually improving. He sorta showed me just how bad Andrew was teaching me."
"Well, that's good right?" Wilona asked. "Not to mention that you get to spend time with this totally hot guy."
"Will! He's a vampire!" Anne emphasized.
"Like that ever stopped her before," Alex commented wryly. "C'mon, Anne, let's dish about your new guy," he insisted, imitating a perky, happy blonde.
Anne broke into a grin and laughed. "Anyway, there was only that one slayer that he was with several decades ago from what I've picked up on, and I doubt that he'd ever try to hook up with one again."
"Ah hah! So you *have* thought about it," Wilona said enthusiastically.
"Well, he's not as great as you think, Wilona...trust me."
"Why not?"
"He's *so* annoying! Spike thinks he knows everything. He'll talk to me and act completely normal, but then, when I try to ask questions about the slayer that he fell in love with, he refuses to answer me," Anne explained.
"Well, maybe that's just a topic that he can't talk about," Wilona said. "It must be tough for him to-"
"And then when we're fighting! He is always criticizing my technique. 'Oh, love, your right side is clear open for all the little nasties,' or something like that," Anne said in a horrible English accent. "It drives me insane. And he's just so...vibey. I get these crazy vibes from him."
"Well..." started Wilona, unsure of what to say after her friend's ramble.
"And can we say 'control freak' here? He thinks that he is just...*so* overqualified to help me out with the training. He thinks that this is just a job; I'm surprised that he doesn't ask to get paid to help me spar," Anne said, her face getting hot with anger. "He's just so serious *all* of the time."
"Well...maybe he does that unintentionally," Wilona suggested, always wanting to keep the conversations calm and non-judgmental.
"Look, I'm going to get some coke or something. You guys want anything to drink?" Anne asked, rushing to her feet. Both of her friends shook their heads "no" before Anne told them, "I'll be back."
"Well?" Wilona asked Alex once Buffy was gone.
"Good God, I've never heard Anne talk that much about one guy since I've known her," he observed. "Think she likes him?"
"Oh yeah, there's definite like-age," Willow said. "Too bad that he's a vampire."
 
~~~
 
"No, love...you're dodging too soon," Spike told Anne as he took a step back from her. "You're leaving your left side wide open for nasties."
Anne took a deep breath, trying to not reveal her anger in a single outburst. "Look, I haven't exactly had this kind of training with Andrew, okay?"
"Well, I don't see how you've lasted as long as you have," Spike asserted. He swung his arm out, and Anne easily dodged it, tumbling into a somersault and landing behind him. She lashed out and kicked him to the floor, sending him sliding on the mat.
"I can handle myself just fine," she retorted, rising to her feet and standing in a fighting stance.
Spike copied her motions and ran back up to her, picking her small body up off the floor and flipping her over his back. "Yeah, I can see that," he replied sarcastically. "You're doing just fine."
She looked up at him with a glare in her eyes. "Oh shut up," she said, before standing up once again. "Break time."
"What? Tired already?" he asked, following her.
Anne walked over to the edge of the room and grabbed a bottle of water. "Tired? Puh-leese. It just looked like you needed a break." she thought to herself. She'd never argued with Andrew or her friends this much.
Spike did a double take. It was as though he was transported one hundred years into the past, in the Magic Box, where he and Buffy would train together. he thought to himself. He glanced over the blonde woman as she drank her water and wiped her forehead. "Y'know something? You're a skinny little chit," he commented, walking up to her. Buffy had always been skinny; something that Spike constantly teased her about.
Anne whirled around and stared at him, "I am *not*...what's a chit?"
Spike smirked. "I mean, do you eat anything? You're just all bones."
"I'm not skinny, I'm fit," Anne replied defensively.
Spike moved closer to her, saying, "I bet that I could touch my fingertips from either side of your waist." He approached Anne and laid his hands on her bare waist.
Anne fought the urge to jump back. Not because he was a vampire, even though that should have been her first concern, but because he was so cold. She was burning up, and the feeling of Spike's cold hands on her hot skin was comforting. She took a deep breath and tried to calm her frantically beating heart. "See?" She managed to say. "No -- not skinny."
"Hmm, I guess not," Spike said, gazing down at her. He took a breath, although unnecessary, and looked down at his hands. "Anne..."
"Yes?" she asked, peering up at him.
Suddenly, Spike stepped back, pushing her body away from him. He dropped his hands to his side and lowered his face to the floor as he kept backing up from her. "So -- sorry love," he muttered. he asked himself.
Anne froze, never expecting that to happen. she thought to herself. She stood there a second, trying to compose her emotions. Anne took a sip of water and wiped her sweaty forehead, trying to play their moment as if she'd already forgotten it. "Anyway, up for a second go?"
"Always, love," Spike said, grinning at her, his usual attitude having resumed.
A light layer of perspiration had covered her body from the intense workout with Spike. Anne took a towel and wiped her face, neck, and arms, and she quickly tossed the towel out of her way. Her blood was pounding in her ears from the activity. "Okay, Big Bad, give me everything that you've got."
 
~~~