Regaining Memories -- Part 7



Regaining Memories -- Part 7
Disclaimer
: Joss Whedon, Marti Noxon, Twentieth Century Fox Productions, UPN, Sandollar Television, and Mutant Enemy own BtVS. No copyright infringements were intended. This is my story and not meant to copy the show.
Note: Thanks for the feedback everyone!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

She felt Buffy touch her forehead with her warm fingers and then jumped up on the bed, finally awake. she thought for a second. She looked across and saw Spike lying on his back, his eyes tightly closed. Anne pulled the sheet up to her chest, fear filling her heart. Anne thought, terrified of what Spike’s first words would be. She could vividly remember her dreams of Buffy and Spike's first morning after, and she was unsure of what to do and how he would act and how she should react.

So...she was Buffy Summers. No wonder everyone compared her to the original slayer. They were the same, and for some reason, Anne wasn't as upset about that as she used to be.

The only question was -- did she want to deal with this? Acknowledging that she was Buffy Summers meant throwing away the life she had built for herself for almost twenty one years, and Anne wasn't sure if she was ready to do that. She needed time, time to think and plan and figure out what was going to make her happy. But would Spike give her the time?

The phone rang on the bedside table and on instinct, Anne reached over and picked it up. "Hello?"

"Uh...Spike?" Andrew asked.

"Oh! Andrew!" Anne cried out, forgetting that she was over at Spike's house. "He's here; do you want to talk to him?"

"Well, it would just be easier to talk to all of you all at my apartment. You two should train some also," Andrew said, his voice sounding surprisingly calm.

Anne thought to herself. "All right." She hung up the phone after saying goodbye to her watcher. Anne leaned over the side of the bed searching for the clothes that she had worn last night. She grabbed her shirt and threw it on quickly before turning over and looking for her pants.

Spike's legs shifted, and he raised his hands in the air, stretching, before he opened his eyes. He gazed at Anne and watched as she frantically looked around for her outfit. "Good morning, love," Spike said in a low voice.

Anne paused, not even turning around to look at him. "Morning Spike. C'mon, we have to get over to Andrew's place."

Spike stared at her backside in amazement. There hadn't even been one sign that she wanted to acknowledge what had happened between the two of them yesterday. "So...we're just going to act like nothing happened?"

Anne froze, not knowing if she should say, "No, I don't ever want to leave your embrace again. I love the way you make me feel, the way that you made me feel last night," or if she should respond with a simple...

"That's right," she said simply.

"Oh...I see," Spike said with hurt saturating his tone. "Well, now I *know* that you are Buffy."

"Do *not* compare me to her!" Anne said, turning back around and glaring at him. "I am *not* Buffy Summers." The words came flying out of her mouth before she could even stop herself.

"Oh really?" Spike noted sarcastically. He grabbed her bare waist and pulled her close to him. "Then how come I know exactly what makes you weak.…" He ran his hands down her thigh, and he smiled when he heard her breath jump and her heart beat increase. "What makes you moan..." He dragged a trail of cool kisses up her shoulder, neck, and cheek.

Anne sighed, telling herself to drop the facade and give in to his love. Instead, she pushed him away and stood up, the sheet wrapped around her waist. "That's just a coincidence," she said coldly. "I read about Buffy's life and. I...I just wanted to let you believe that you were with her again."

"You don't mean that," Spike said, the hurt returning to his voice.

"Yes I do!" She carefully avoided his eyes by looking down for her clothes and finding the rest of her outfit. She slipped her clothes back on before throwing the sheet back on him. "It...last night was nothing to me! *You* are nothing to me."

"Oh really, love? Well, that's not the impression I understood from last night," Spike said, smirking up at her.

"Spike, you don't matter to me! You are *dead* to me!" Both her and Spike's eyes widened when they realized what she had said and the fact that she had said it to him one hundred years ago. "Oh god," she whispered. "We have to go."

 
~~~

 
Spike and Anne entered Andrew's apartment, standing as far apart from each other as they possibly could. Wilona and Alex were sitting at Andrew's table while Andrew paced around with a book in his hand.

"Ahh, the two of you are here," Andrew said. "It's about time."

"Well, we would have been here sooner, but since Spike is allergic to the sun, we had to get the blanket and run," Anne said, rolling her eyes over to Spike.

"Well, excuse me love...sorry my being a vampire slowed you down," Spike growled back at her.

Anne ignored him and walked over to the table, sliding off her jacket and sitting down. "What's the deal here, Andrew?"

"Well, I was researching Giles' old journals last night when he started talking about how the Watcher's Council was always out to get Buffy," Andrew informed the tense pair. "The prophecy reads:

Memories lost,
This shall be the way of the slayer,
Through the help of a darkness
Memories regained
The legendary Slayer will return,
Then must defeat the obstacles
And reclaim her name.

"
I think that with this prophecy, it could relate to the watchers. Spike?"

"Well, they were never fond of Buffy, that's true," Spike said thoughtfully, "And since Anne *is* Buffy, they are obviously not going to like her." He rolled his eyes and smirked at her.

"I'm *not* Buffy!" Anne hissed with irritation, shooting a burning glare at Spike. "I don't care how many times you say that name; I am not her."

Wilona looked over at Alex with worry in her eyes. "What are they talking about?" Alex shrugged but looked back at the two, enjoying the show.

"I mean, can't you just drop it!" Anne said, throwing her hands in the air. "The only reason that I'm so...so mixed up right now is you!"

"So what? You want me to leave? I'm here whether you like it or not, Slayer, and I'm here to stay. I was sent here to protect you, and I'm not going to break that promise. I don't care whether-"

"Spike! Shut up!" Anne said loudly.

"Should we...uh, stop them?" Wilona whispered over to Alex.

"How?" he wondered.

"Make me!" Spike shouted, standing to his feet and facing her, a look of anger and pure hatred on his expression. Spike was inwardly thinking. He didn't want to be fighting with her. No, he wanted to apologize for everything that he had said this morning at his apartment and on the way to Andrew's apartment.

Anne looked at up him, preparing to say something else. Instead, she bit her lower lip and crossed her arms, turning her head and refusing to look him the eye. she asked herself, not wanting to fight with Spike. Tears welled in her eyes, and Anne fought to keep them down. "Spike, just be quiet," she said softly.

Spike saw the threatening tears and softened, following her command. He sat down and signaled Andrew to continue.

Andrew glanced back from Anne and then to Spike. "As I was saying...I think that the Watchers could be planning something to get Anne out of the way and keep the prophecy from ever happening." He closed the book that he was holding and peered over his glasses at the group. "I tried to call the Watchers and didn't get any response, so I can't confirm this, but something is wrong."

"So what do we do, Andrew?" Wilona asked.

"I'm not sure; all I know is that we have to be prepared for anything," Andrew said wearily. "Spike, I want you and Anne to go downstairs and train."

Spike glanced nervously between Anne and Andrew. "Uh, I'm not sure that's the best idea, mate."

"I don't care!" Andrew said. "I want you two to take whatever...problems that you have and just get over them for right now, do you two understand?"

"Yes," the slayer and vampire both responded at the same time. "Come on, Spike," Anne said, rising to her feet. "Let's go."

 
~~~

 
Spike closed the door behind the two of them after they went into the training room. Spike kept his distance from Anne, not sure if they should be in the same room with each other. He turned around and saw Anne walk over to the hurdle. She leaned her elbows on top of the hurdle and shed quiet tears, placing her head in her hands.

"Anne?" Spike asked, taking a step towards her. "Anne?" No reply once again. "...Buffy?"

"Hmm?" she asked, straightening up. "Oh...don't call me that."

"Okay, fine," Spike replied.

"I hate you," Anne said bitterly. "If you had never come here, everything would still be the same. But you had to come to my town and screw everything up."

"I didn't have a choice," Spike said.

"I know," Anne started. "And now...all those dreams are invading my mind. I can't get them out of my head."

"Dreams?"

"Yeah...I've been having dreams. They're of you and Buffy. What you two did, how she died, what you did to her...she did to you, I watched it all play out," Anne said, sighing. "But that doesn't make it any easier."

"I'm sorry," Spike said honestly.

"I know, but...God, I wish that you had never come here."

"Well, I'm still sorry," Spike said slowly, his heart going out to her. He never meant to hurt her feelings; hell, he was against this from the very beginning. The only reason he even thought about going was that Buffy told him to.

Anne sank heavily onto the love seat across the room. "I just don't know..."

"Don't know what?" Spike asked, following her and sitting down beside her.

"I don't know who I am anymore," Anne admitted. "Am I Buffy? Anne? Who?"

"You're...you," Spike said. "You're the woman that I fell in love with one hundred years ago...the woman that I *am* falling in love with all over again."

Anne looked over at him with disbelief in her eyes. "You love me?"

"I've always loved you."

"You love Buffy," Anne corrected him.

"Wrong...it's *you*." Spike said. "The same, vibrant Slayer. It doesn't matter what name you go by; it's your *soul* that I love."

A tear slowly dropped down Anne's cheek. "God, how can you love me after this morning?"

"I just do."

"I should have..." Anne started, not really knowing how she could even begin to make it right. "I could have been nicer, I should have *not* acted like Buffy did to you that time."

"I wasn't really expecting anything else though," Spike said, smiling at her. "I mean, that's how you treated me for the majority of our time together, so why should I have expected anything else?"

"But still...I was acting on the memories I had of you and Buffy, not the way that I *really* feel for you. I just didn't want to deal with anything right then," Anne said. She remembered everything that Buffy had told her, everything that she had seen, but she still didn't want to admit that she was Buffy Summers, not Anne Winters. "I don't want to deal with this right now...God, I don't want to."

"Well, if you need more time to deal...I can wait," Spike said without hesitation.

"Really?" Spike nodded. "Thank you," she said, trying to show him that she was sincere with her eyes.

Anne leaned over and gently kissed him. When she pulled back to end the kiss, Spike's hand came out and rested against the back of her head, stopping her from pulling away. Anne scooted closer to Spike, wrapping her arms around his neck as she straightened up to return her kiss. "God, Buffy," Spike muttered, pausing to allow Anne to take a gasp of air before pressing his lips against hers once more.

To their right, the training room door opened. Anne and Spike heard a high-pitch squeal and they quickly jumped apart, guilty looks on both of their faces. Wilona stood in the doorway, a stunned expression on her face.

"Uh...uh..." she stammered, her mouth dropping open.

Anne took a deep breath to calm herself and ran her fingers through her hair. "Wilona!" she said, standing up. "What...uh, what did you want?"

"Uh...Andrew...he wants you two back upstairs," Wilona said slowly.

Spike rose and the two of them started walking towards the doorway. Spike ran his hand down Anne's back, giving her a comforting pat, before moving ahead and climbing the stairs. Wilona gave Anne a "Details now!" look, to which Anne replied with a "Later" expression.

 
~~~