Regaining Memories -- Part 8



Regaining Memories -- Part 8
Disclaimer
: Joss Whedon, Marti Noxon, Twentieth Century Fox Productions, UPN, Sandollar Television, and Mutant Enemy own BtVS. No copyright infringements were intended. This is my story and not meant to copy the show.
Note: Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'm glad you're enjoying it! Please let me know what you think of this part!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Anne was traveling to Spike's apartment, planning on telling him some things that she figured out. She was finally ready to start facing her past and her future, just as long as he had him by her side to help her get through it.
She approached the steps. She knocked on the door, which Spike automatically answered. "Hey!" she greeted, stepping forward and pressing a kiss against his face.
"Anne...hi," Spike replied, slightly surprised. "What are you doing here?"
"What? Not glad to see me?"
"No, delighted, love...just curious."
"Well, I know that we need to...uh, talk, and I thought that now would be a good time," Anne stated her reason for being there. She and Spike entered the living room and sat down on the couch.
"So, what do we need to talk about?" Spike asked curiously.
 
"Well, I was thinking that maybe you could tell me some things about Buffy...you know, what she did, what she was-" her voice was cut off by a loud banging on the door. "Expecting company?" she asked.
Suddenly the door burst open. Three men, all dressed in leather jackets, walked through the doorway. Two were carrying crossbows, and the other was armed with a stake and cross.
"What the hell?" Spike asked, rising to his feet.
"We were sent here to take you out," one of the men said in a British accent. He pulled the trigger on the crossbow, which Spike barely managed to avoid by ducking. The arrow shot past him and plunged into the wall.
"Blood hell," Spike cursed under his breath. "Get out of my house," he demanded when he stood back up.
"Well, we're taking you with us," one of the other men growled, also pulling the trigger. Spike dodged, but the arrow lodged in his shoulder. Spike cursed and pulled the arrow out, clutching his shoulder.
"Spike!" Anne shouted, rushing towards him. "You!" she said, looking at the three men, anger in her eyes.
"We weren't here to deal with you, missy," the man who was holding the cross and stake commented. "We just want the vampire, and then, we'll be outta your way."
"I don't think so," Anne retorted. "Get out!" She ran toward the men, punching and kicking...doing anything she could to get them out of the house and keep Spike safe. Two of the men were already outside. The third man, possibly the leader, slammed his fist into Anne's face, pushing her backwards.
"We'll be back, girlie," he said, sneering in her face before turning around and fleeing into the night. Anne watched the men run, listening as one yelled, "Bugger! The bloody Slayer wasn't suppose to be there!"
Anne left the door open and rushed over to where Spike was laying. She bent down on her knees and hugged Spike, knocking his back to the floor and kissing him on the lips. "God, I almost lost you!" she said, tears falling down her face. "I could have lost you, Spike."
"It's okay, love, I'm here."
"No...but they, they wanted to kill you," Anne said hoarsely. "I can't lose you, Spike...You're the only one that can help me figure out who I really am."
"It'll be all right," Spike reassured, running his hand through her hair.
"Are you okay?"
"Yeah, I'll live," Spike said, smirking at the irony of what he had said.
Anne stood back from Spike, gazing in the direction that the three men had run off. "They were British," she noted. "They were watchers."
"I know."
"That means that they really want me out of the picture," Anne said with some disbelief. "They think that I'm turning into Buffy, so if they get you out of the way, they can end the prophecy."
"I think that's the gist of it."
"Then we've got to end it...we've got to end this, *now*," Anne said with a commanding tone.
Spike thought, proud of how she was dealing with this. "I know," he said, placing a light kiss on her temple. "We should tell Andrew about this."
"I know." She leaned over and kissed him on his cheek. "But...later?" she asked, pressing another kiss on his lips.
Spike sighed and kissed Anne, leaving her gasping for more breath and another kiss. "Yeah, much later," he replied.
 
~~~
 
Almost a whole week had passed before Anne worked up enough courage to visit Spike's apartment again. As she approached the doorstep, she mentally ran over what she was going to say and how she was going to say it. The last time she had been over at his place, they had simply slept together again. They had never gotten to actually talk about what was going on between the two of them. Hopefully tonight, she'd be able to sit down and talk with him.
Anne walked up the steps and knocked on the door. When her knuckles hit the door, the door swung open very slowly. Anne looked down at the doorknob and saw that it had been broken. "Spike?" she called, taking a step inside the house.
"Spike!" she shouted again when she saw the mess that lay before her. Shelves had been broken, the couch cushions were thrown around the room, the lamp lay broken on the floor, and books were scattered everywhere. Worst of all -- no sign of Spike. "Spike!" Anne repeated.
She took a deep breath, grabbing onto her hair and pulling. She left his apartment in a jog.
Sunnydale wasn't huge, but she didn't even know where to begin searching for him, if he was even in town anymore. She turned down the sidewalk bound for another part of town. Maybe there were some demons that she could beat up who would give her answers about what was going on. She needed answers...needed Spike.
Anne strode quickly down the main street, glancing around and down the alleys where she might find any vampires or demons. To her left, she heard sounds of something scrambling around. She turned down an alley and walked cautiously to the end of it, looking around. Suddenly, four men jumped out of the shadows, holding out primitive weapons. Anne grabbed two of them and pushed them back into the other two. She lashed out and punched one, kicked him in the face, and shoved him back onto the concrete.
She continued fighting, and very soon three of the men were on the ground unconscious. "Stop!" the final man shouted. He pulled out a gun -- a very expensive, automatic weapon.
Anne froze, not wanting to get shot. She couldn't find Spike if she was dead; that much she knew. "Stopped."
"Well, that was uncalled for."
"Yeah? But it was fun," Anne replied in a Buffy-like tone of voice.
"You're the Slayer, I'm assuming," he said, moving closer to her.
"What gave you the first hint?" Anne asked him.
"If you want to see the vampire again, you're going to have to play things our way. Do you understand?"
"Where is he? Take me to him," Anne ordered. The man turned on his heels and guided her to the end of the alley. "And for your sake, he better be alive."
 
~~~
 
Anne was led into a dark, rusted warehouse. The man who had brought her here continued walking into the room and knocked on the door. "In here," he said gruffly.
Anne entered the room and blinked, allowing her eyes to adjust to the light. "Spike!" she cried out when she saw him chained to the ceiling of the warehouse. He was barely conscious. Spikes were sticking out of his side and his face had been beaten. Three men stood around him, one holding a poker and another cracking his knuckles as they paced around Spike. The other man was standing in front of Spike with his back turned to Anne.
"Stop! Right there!" the man from the alley said firmly, holding out the gun. "I didn't say you could touch him." He turned to the man who wasn't doing anything to hurt Spike. "Mr. Travers, we're ready."
"Travers?" Anne asked. Instantly, a flash went through her mind. Memories of Buffy dealing with Quentin Travers came rushing back to her.
*****
"The Slayer is not the only one who must perform in this situation," Quentin explained about the test Buffy had to face. "I've recommended to the Council, and they've agreed, that you be relieved of your duties as Watcher immediately. You're fired." Giles was outraged and asked a question, to which Quentin responded, "Your affection for your charge has rendered you incapable of clear and impartial judgment. You have a father's love for the child, and that is useless to the cause. It would be best if you had no further contact with the Slayer."
Giles said that he wasn't going to go anywhere; something that Quentin already knew anyway. He turned to Buffy and said, "Congratulations again."
"Bite me," she replied in a cold tone.
Quentin chuckled before speaking, "Yes, well, colorful girl."
 
*****
 
Anne told herself as she started at the man who was the spitting image of Quentin Travers. "Why are you doing this?"
"Ahh, Miss Winters," Mr. Travers began, "Or should I call you Miss Summers? Are we that far along yet?"
"Let him go," Anne said forcefully.
"I don't think so," Travers said. Anne took a step towards Spike. The man who held the gun raised the barrel toward her, forcing Anne to stop moving.
"Then, what are you going to do with him?"
"Kill him, Miss Winters," Travers said calmly. "We have to kill him to end the prophecy."
"Then, you're too late anyway. The prophecy has already started," Anne said, trying to convince him to not kill Spike.
"And we will end it," he stated. "We must."
"No, I already have the memories of everything," Anne continued her argument. She had all the memories of Spike, everything that they had done together. "All the memories that I need, I've got."
Travers looked at her in surprise and then back at Spike. "Then why do you need the vampire?"
"Because I do. I...I need him, I just do," Anne admitted. She looked behind Travers and watched as Spike slowly lifted his head and squinted at her. He cracked a small, painful smile that Anne couldn't help but quickly return.
Another memory flashed through her mind...Buffy acting so powerful, commanding the watchers around, when it was supposed to be the other way around.
*****
"You're Watchers," Buffy spoke as she paced around the Magic Box. "Without a Slayer, you're pretty much just watching' Masterpiece Theater. You can't stop Glory. You can't do anything with the information you have except maybe publish it in the 'Everyone Thinks We're Insane-O's Home Journal.' So here's how it's gonna work. You're gonna tell me everything you know. Then you're gonna go away. You'll contact me if and when you have any further information about Glory. The magic shop will remain open. Mr. Giles will stay here as my official Watcher, reinstated at full salary...to be paid retroactively from the month he was fired. I will continue my work with the help of my friends..."

"But we're talking about children," one of the watchers said.

"We're talking about two very powerful witches and a thousand-year-old ex-demon," Buffy explained.

"Willow's a demon?!" Anya asked, trying to not let out her secret.

"The boy?" The other watcher asked her. "No power there."
"The boy has clocked more field time than all of you combined. He's part of the unit." Buffy paused, looking up at her friends before addressing the watchers in the room. "Now. You all may be very good at your jobs. The only way we're gonna find out is if you work with me. You can all take your time thinking about that. But I want an answer right now from Quentin, 'cause I think he's understanding me."

Travers cleared his throat before speaking. "Uh, your terms are acceptable."
*****
 
Anne walked up to Travers and looked him defiantly in the eye. "That means that I want you *out*. I want you out of this town. I want out of *my* town...this state. I want you and your crew out of this country, and I never want to see you again. You can't stop this, and I don't want you to. There isn't a thing you can do about it."
Travers stared back at her before backing away. "I see. Well, now I know that you are Miss Summers."
"Are you understanding me?" Anne asked him.
"Yes. Yes, Miss Winters...uh, Miss Summers, I understand," Travers said, backing down.
Anne sighed, relief clear in her motions. She wasn't sure if they would be gone for good; in fact, there was a good chance that they would be back sometime soon to cause even more trouble. However, at least they were gone for now. And finally, she could deal with Spike. She ran up to him and loosened the chains, dropping him slowly to the floor.
"Bu...Buffy?" Spike called out slowly.
"Yeah, it's Buffy," Anne replied, kissing his forehead. "I'm going to get you out of here, I just need to...get those pokers out of your chest." She pulled out the two pokers, flinching when Spike screamed out in pain. "Let me get you home," she whispered.
Spike chuckled when a thought went through his mind. "You need me?" he asked, gazing at her with questions in his eyes.
Anne smiled and kissed his cheek. "Of course, I need you." She peered up at Travers with a gleam in her eye. "See? The prophecy has already happened; there was nothing you could have done anyway."
Travers paused and looked down at the blonde woman. "Actually...the prophecy hasn't been completed yet."
Anne rose to her feet and stared at the Watcher. "What do you mean? I have my memories back and managed to keep Spike away from you guys. Isn't that all?" Anne questioned.
"Not even. We weren't even a part of the prophecy." Travers said cockily.
"What?" Anne asked, confusion clear on her face. "Oh...crap."
 
~~~
TBC...
 
Did you like it? Let me know!