Regaining Memories -- Part 1



Regaining Memories -- Part 1
Disclaimer
: Joss Whedon, Marti Noxon, Twentieth Century Fox Productions, UPN, Sandollar Television, and Mutant Enemy own BtVS. No copyright infringements were intended. This is my story and not meant to copy the show.
Note: Thanks for the feedback everyone!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
On the evening of February 14, 2004, Tara, Willow, Xander, and Anya were out at the Bronze for their annual Valentine's Day Party. Even Dawn was out with her friends dancing at the Bronze. Dawn planned to sleep over at a friend's house that night after the party where she would get to gossip about boys and have a little bit of fun. Because of this, Buffy was at home by herself with her only plan to eventually go patrolling.
The doorbell rang, and as Buffy walked up it, she wondered who would be visiting her at this time of night when everyone that she knew was out having fun. She opened the door and saw Spike standing on her welcome mat.
Ever since they had broken up for the final time, Spike and Buffy had slowly formed a tentative friendship, trying to hold together a relationship like they had before Buffy kissed him for the first time that night in the alley. It had taken time and hard work on both sides, but at least on the outside, it seemed to be working. As long as Spike never brought up their secret past, Buffy never fought against seeing him.
"Spike, hey," she greeted with a small smile of her face. "What are you doing here?"
Spike paused, taking a second to glance at the woman he loved. Yes, he still loved her in every possible way. After their final break up, Spike had fought to keep some type of relationship to with the slayer, thinking up every possible way that he would at least be able to *see* her even if he wasn't allowed to touch her. If patrolling and babysitting Dawn were his only chances of interacting with Buffy, he would take it them. At least, she was finally happy, that was all he wanted -- was for her to be happy. "Well, I thought we could go patrolling, love," Spike said.
"Oh, good.…I was planning on doing that soon anyway," Buffy remarked. "Why don't you come inside and let me grab some stakes?"
Spike took a few steps inside holding something behind his back as Buffy walked over to the living room and opened the chest. She pulled out a couple of stakes and stuffed them into her pockets before coming back up to Spike. "Okay, ready?"
"Uh...Buffy," Spike started.
"Yeah?"
Spike pulled out a small bouquet of flowers from behind his back. "Uh, I got these for you for, y'know, Valentine’s Day." Spike stammered.
"Spike...thank you," Buffy said as she took the flowers out of his hands and smelled them. She breathed in the scent of lilies and lilacs mixed with baby's breath and carnations. "You...you didn't have to do this," she added.
"Well, I figured that it'd be better than anything that I...that I did to you in the last couple of years," Spike said as he remembered the night where he chained her up, forcing her to listen to his words of love.
"Well...things were different then." Buffy commented. Two years ago, she didn’t know of his feelings for her, and she hadn't figured out her feelings for him. Then, last year, she had simply abused his feelings for her just so she could have some simple "feelings." Yes, things were definitely different now. "Thank you," Buffy said, smiling. Before she could chicken out, she moved forward and kissed Spike's cheek. Buffy thought.
"Wow, uh, you're welcome, love," Spike said, amazed at the affection she had shown him. He hadn't been expecting that. Spike was surprised that she even dared to kiss him again after what that had led to last time. But things were different… that much Spike knew. Since Buffy was finally happy about being back on earth, maybe things wouldn't turn out badly.
She smiled, upon seeing the love in his eyes that he was trying to hide from her. "Let me go put these in some water." She walked into the kitchen with the flowers in her hands and came back out a second later. "Okay, are we ready now?" Buffy asked.
"I was born ready," Spike proudly stated.
Buffy rolled her eyes; yet, she wasn't annoyed. Secretly, she hadn't been annoyed by Spike in a long time -- at least several months, which had to be the longest time ever. "C'mon, Big Bad, let's go patrol," Buffy said. Together, the two of them walked out into the night.
 
~~~
 
"Well, I'm sorry I bugged you so much about coming to patrol with me," Spike said. It was about two hours later, and there had been absolutely nothing in the graveyards. Apparently, even demons celebrated Valentine’s Day. Maybe they were all dancing with their honeys at the Bronze.
Buffy and Spike headed back to her home, signaling that the night was over. "Well, it's okay," Buffy said as she stepped onto her porch. "It's not like I had anything else really planned to do tonight." In secret, Buffy had planned to lie around on the couch with a tub of ice cream in her lap and sob over the Valentine’s Day movie-fest. Buffy unlocked her door and turned back around to face Spike. "Thanks again for the flowers, Spike. I love them."
"You're welcome," Spike said, starting to walk off the porch.
"Oh, but wait," Buffy said as she stopped Spike. "I didn't get anything for you."
"That's okay, love," Spike said, speaking truthfully. She’d kissed him on the cheek and said thank you for the flowers two or three times. It wasn't much, but for Spike at least, it was a start. It was a crumb, and that was all he wanted. And hopefully this time, it would be a start in the right direction.
"Oh well, I guess this will have to do," Buffy murmured. And with that, she leaned forward and kissed him on the lips. She pressed her warm body into his cooler one, dragging her hands down his arms before latching onto the sides of his leather jacket. Spike mimicked her motions as the two kissed in the dark. They hadn't kissed in over a year -- almost two; yet, neither had forgotten how to act and react.
Buffy slowly pulled back and looked at him. "Wow, uh...," Spike stuttered.
"Happy Valentine’s Day, Spike," Buffy said under her breath, turning and walking into the house.
"Best present ever, love," Spike whispered into the air around him.
 
~~~
 
As Buffy made her way to the graveyard where Spike's crypt was, she hummed a song in her head. It had been almost a month since Valentine’s Day and that night when she kissed him. And it was all because of that gentle, chaste kiss, that Buffy knew that once again they had crossed that inevitable line.
From there, their relationship progressed into a light and innocent coupling. Never had Buffy and Spike been in a more chaste relationship, but since neither of the two wanted to ruin their chance, both agreed to take things slow. However, tonight she planned to tell him that her extreme like/hate for the bleached-blonde vampire had turned into a deep love and longing. She had it all planned out, and hopefully, her babbling wouldn't ruin the moment.
She neared his crypt and immediately saw Spike leaning against a headstone waiting for her. "'Ello, love," Spike greeted her.
"Hey, Spike." She walked up right into his arms and kissed him quickly on the lips.
"So, what's the plan, love?" Spike asked.
"I figured a quick patrol. Maybe we can head back to my house and spend some time together...Dawn won't be there, and we'll have the house to ourselves." Buffy said, hoping she could get her point across.
"That sounds mighty fine to me," Spike agreed.
"Good," Buffy said, still holding onto Spike's hand. The two started walking out thorough the graveyard, keeping their eyes open for anything.
Almost an hour passed, and there was no sign of anything in the graveyard that Buffy and Spike were patrolling in. "There's nothing here, love," Spike announced. "Do you want to head on home?"
"Let's go check Restfield Cemetery quickly," Buffy suggested. Although she just wanted to go home with Spike, she wanted to make sure that there weren't any vampires that were planning a surprise attack.
"Sure thing, love," Spike said, falling into step with the Slayer as they crossed the street.
They walked down several blocks of the town. When they neared the cemetery, Buffy and Spike saw some vampires that were walking around in the cemetery. There must have been a nest near by because there were about ten of them.
"Looks like we're going to wind up getting some action tonight after all," Spike commented, pulling out a stake.
"Damn," Buffy agreed, starting to pick up her pace. "And here I was, thinking we were home free for the night."
Buffy ran into the fight, jumping up into the air and leaping over one of the headstones. She swiftly moved up to a vampire and punched him in the face before swinging around and kicking him in his side. Before she could retaliate with another punch, four other vampires slammed into her body and knocked her onto the ground.
Spike followed Buffy's entrance, picking a fight with the remaining vampires to keep Buffy from getting too overloaded. As Spike was working on the other five vampires, the number quickly fell to four. Spike swung around and grabbed one of the vampires by the shirt.
"Man, you're crazy! Killing your own kind," the vampire yelled into Spike's face.
"Yeah, yeah. Sing me a new one," Spike said, driving the stake home. "Well, that isn't so bad, is it kiddies?" Spike asked the remaining vampires. Then, he noticed that Buffy wasn't fighting right beside him. "Buffy?" He quickly glanced around the cemetery, giving the four vampires a chance to retaliate.
One vampire with a scar across its cheek and another vampire with long brown hair grabbed onto Spike's arms, holding him tightly. Spike fought to free himself, but couldn't move his arms. "Hey! Let me go!" He shouted, moving his body around to free himself.
"Spike!" Buffy cried out from the other side of the cemetery, ducking from a thrown punch.
While Spike was fighting the other vampires, Buffy had quicl;y staked three, but the other two were amazingly strong. The two remaining vampires that were attacking Buffy had somehow gotten the upper hand of the battle. They'd forced her to run to the other side of the cemetery and placed her in a tightly- enclosed area.
"SPIKE!" She shrieked again as a vampire tossed her to the ground.
"Buffy?" Spike asked, still unable to move.
A second later, two vampires carried the slayer, who was violently kicking her legs in the air to get free, from behind a crypt. They let go of her and shoved her against the wall of the crypt. Buffy slowly regained her senses and reached in her back pocket to pull out a stake. She raised it in the air, aiming for the vampire that stood in front of her. Suddenly, the vampire that was beside her grabbed onto her arm as she raised it, quickly spinning her around into his arms. Controlling her own stake with his hand, the vampire plunged the stake into Buffy's chest. Buffy's eyes went wide with shock and pain. "Oh....oh God," she moaned, looking down at her chest.
"NO!" Spike screamed. His body went wild, thrashing around and trying to free himself. "Buffy!" He struggled for a second more, finally becoming free before he ran over to Buffy and the two vampires. He threw himself at one with his stake held out in front of him and quickly dusted the vampire that was holding the stake.
The remaining vampire released his grip on Buffy as he stared at Spike. "You're pathetic, protecting the Slayer," he said. And with that, he ran disappeared into the shadows of the graveyard.
Spike dropped the stake he was holding and ran over to Buffy's side. He bent down on his knees and cradled her head. "Oh God," he muttered, running his other hand down across her chest. The vampire had staked her heart….God, he had killed her.
"Spike...I- I slipped up," Buffy stammered.
"It's okay, love. It's okay," Spike said, trying not to look too worried. His hand brushed over her chest and was covered in blood when he pulled away.
"Spike...don't let- let them bring me...back," she said. "Please."
"Okay, Buffy," Spike said softly. He gazed down at her and smiled while he lightly trailed his fingers over her forehead.
"Ma-maybe stakes aren't the...the best way to kill..." Buffy gasped. "They always seem...always backfire on me."
Spike felt the corners of his mouth smile lift slightly. "It'll all be okay," he said, trying to soothe her. Tears welled in his eyes, but he refused to cry in front of her.
"Spike...I- I love..."
Spike watched as the fire and light died out of her eyes and as her body spasmed before going limp. Spike fell back, moving away from her and not believing that he had witnessed her death two times… Each time had been his fault. If only he'd been quicker, faster...more helpful than he had been, she'd still be alive.
"No...no...," Spike chanted. "BUFFY!"
He had lost her. When everything had been going *so* perfectly, he'd lost her, his sunshine in his dark world. And when that fire burned out of her eyes, he also knew that it had disappeared from his. She was lost to him, and she'd never be found again.
 
~~~
 
Spike closed his eyes and cursed under his breath. One dream and every memory that he'd ever shared with Buffy was suddenly rushing back to him in full force. he thought to himself.
He climbed out of bed and grabbed a bag, throwing a couple of shirts and other materials into the sack. One hundred years had changed everything around him, but Spike's style was still the same...the same black, leather jacket and an unusually dark dress style. Cars were rare these days, but Spike still used one. The vehicle wasn't the DeSoto, but it would do for his needs.
Once packed and ready to go, he walked out into the night and headed towards his car. Once inside, he turned on the gas and started driving towards Sunnydale, California, the home of the current Slayer.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
TBC.....