Returning 3/9



Returning 3/9
By *~Rachel*~

Disclaimer
: Disclaimer: Oh yes…they are ALL MINE! (Sarcastic) Haha. RIGHT. Joss Whedon, Marti Noxon, Twentieth Century Fox Productions, UPN, Sandollar Television, and Mutant Enemy own BtVS. No copyright infringements were intended. This is my story and not meant to copy the show.
Rating: It's basically PG-13 all the way though until the last part, which is sort of borderline R/NC-17
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 
By far, this was the most innocent relationship Spike had ever been in. Buffy never let their smoochies go any further than that. Nevertheless, Spike didn’t mind waiting. Although he knew that he loved her, he wanted to help Buffy find out what she was feeling for him.

Sometimes Spike would meet up with her behind the Magic Box to talk and hang out while she was sparring. He'd help out with her fighting skills in the training room, giving them another chance to be together. They went patrolling together almost every night, which provided a good excuse for them to be together without the gang suddenly walking in on them. Then, when everyone was sleeping or out partying at the Bronze, Spike would meet at Buffy's house for some late night make-out time.

 
Much to Spike's dismay, their "togetherness" was a secret from everyone else. No one in the gang knew about their nightly meetings and the many kisses that the two used-to-be-enemies shared.

 
However, Xander, Willow, Tara, Anya, and Dawn had all noticed a change in Buffy's mood and appearance. Everyone was wondering what had gotten into her that had made her suddenly change and do a 180. No longer was she moping by herself in her room, she was out and around, walking into the Magic Box with a smile on her face. She started going back to the Bronze with her friends or having nights that she would share only with her sister so the two of them would remain close.

Her only worries were what everyone would say when they finally found out- because her friends *always* found out about things like this. Buffy remembered what they all thought while she was dating Angel and didn't know what everyone would say if they found out that she was dating Spike.

Spike noticed the changes within her also. Every time he saw her acting more like the normal Buffy, he smiled when he thought that *he* was the cause of it.

 
Two months passed. Demon activity on the Hellmouth was down, and Buffy was thankful. Finally! Some time alone with her...well, whatever Spike was to her now.

Buffy sat on top of a headstone in one of Sunnydale’s many graveyards with that very question running through her mind. What did Spike mean to her? The term 'boyfriend' just didn't seem to fit him, but they weren't pure lovers yet either.

"Penny for your thoughts, love?" Spike asked, walking up behind her. He quickly kissed her cheek as she stood up.

"Ugh, money's pretty tight these days," Buffy complained. "I'll give them to you for free."

"Then give away," Spike said, walking around and standing next to her. He wrapped an arm around her waist and kissed her forehead. "What's wrong?"

"Wrong? Nothing," Buffy said, starting to walk in between the tombstones and flower bouquets. "I was just...thinking about us."

"Really?" Spike asked, feeling a wave of dread coming over him. "What about us?"

She looked over at him and smiled, knowing what he was thinking. "No, I'm not going to dump you, Spike." she said, smiling when she saw him sigh with relief. "I was thinking about, well...what we are."

"Well, I'm a vampire and you-"

"No, not that kind of 'what,' like...'boyfriend,' 'couple,' or...whatever." Buffy said. "Y'know what I mean?"

Spike stopped walking and grabbed her arm to stop her also. "What do you want us to be?"

Buffy looked around, everywhere but where he was standing. She didn't want to disappoint him with a lousy answer. "I -- I don' t know."

"Well, that's okay," Spike said. She was with him and that was all that mattered, no matter how long it took. One night while kissing her, Spike was so caught up in the moment that he whispered how much he loved her. Buffy, however, only smiled and said, "I know," before kissing him again. Even though she might not share his feelings - yet -- it was great that at least he could express his.

"But it's *not* okay. We've been together for like 2 months and I'm still confused by what's going on between us." Buffy said. "I mean, you're *mine* and I don't want to let you out of sight, but there's not a term that --" Buffy's voice was cut off from Spike's lips pressing against hers.

He pushed her body up against his as he wrapped his arms around her waist and ran his lips across hers, pausing here and there to allow Buffy to breathe. Finally, Spike pulled back and rested his forehead against hers, sighing. he thought.

"Not that I'm complaining, but what did I say?" Buffy said.

"Nothing, love." Spike said. "Just...you called me yours. That's...that's a lot better than a simple title like boyfriend...sounds poufy anyway."

"Well, I'm yours, right?" Buffy questioned before Spike slowly nodded. "Well, you're mine, okay?"

 
"Okay, pet." Spike replied, his voice thick with love. Quickly, he took a step towards her and raised her head with his fingertips before kissing her. Gentle at first, before quickly turning passionate and out of control, Spike's arms seemed to swallow her whole as the two kissed, their tongues mingling and their fingers sweeping through each other's hair.

"Well, look what we've got here," A loud and obnoxious voice called out from behind Spike. "Spike and some blonde bimbo making out!"

Buffy and Spike broke apart and grinned sheepishly at each other, knowing very well whom that voice belonged to. "Evenin', Harris." Spike said, turning slightly to reveal Buffy’s face.

"Spike..." Xander said, looking at the vampire in front of him. Anya and Willow were at his side. The three of them had been looking for Buffy, planning to give her a night off by offering to patrol for her "And Buffy!" Xander shrieked, his hands dropping the axe he was carrying. "Buffy...Buffy-bot!"

"Xander..." Buffy started. Her eyes darted back and forth between Xander's denial and Willow and Anya's shocked expressions. They at least, knew that she wasn't the bot.

"I thought the bot was destroyed," Xander said to Anya. His fiancé only managed to slightly nod and grunt, not believing what she was seeing.

"The Bot was trashed, whelp." Spike said.

"Spike, be nice." Buffy said, slapping his arm.

"Sorry, love," Spike apologized.

"Xander, it's me...Buffy." Buffy explained, taking a step towards him. The only reply she received was the sound of Xander Harris falling to the ground in a dead faint.

 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Buffy and Willow tried slapping the sides of Xander's face to get him to wake up. "Xander!" Buffy said.

"Hmm? Wha-oooh, my head." Xander said. He looked at Buffy and then behind her at Spike who was standing a few feet away from him. "Please tell me I imagined Buffy and Spike making out."

"No...uh, no you didn't." Buffy said. "Uh, we're kinda together...hey, did I forget to mention that at the Scooby meetings?" Behind her, Spike chuckled.

"Oh man, what a nightmare," Xander said, climbing to his feet.

"It's not a nightmare, Xander, it's...me and Spike, and we're sort of trying out the together aspect of life." Buffy said. "If you have a problem with it, then oh well. You're just going to have to deal with it."

"But Buffy, he's-"

"Hey! All those times when Anya makes some tactless comment or used to talk of her old 'demon days' or tried to get her powers back and released that evil Willow in our town, did I ever say anything when you were dating her?" Buffy asked. Xander was always the person who got on her case whenever it dealt with her and her significant other. "No offence, Anya." Buffy said over to her.

"That's okay," Anya replied.

"But Buffy...he's just-"

"He's with me." Buffy said, looking over at him. "What business is it of yours, anyway?"

Xander lowered his eyes; inwardly realizing that the reason she was doing so well was because of Spike. "Okay, Buff. Let me just take some time to get used to all of this."

"Okay Xander."

"And...let me go home and put some ice on my head where I landed." Xander added, starting to walk off. "Anya, you coming?"

"In a minute, sweetie!" She called back out to him.

Buffy wandered back over to where spike was standing. "Well, wasn't that interesting?"

"It was bloody fun, pet." Spike relied. "It looks like Demon Girl and Red want to talk to you and I think I'm out of all my beer and smokes, so I'm going to head over to town and grab some."

"Good, and anyway, I'd like to get home to relieve Tara of Dawn-duty." Buffy said.

"Okay then," Spike replied, "I'll see you tomorrow night, right?"

"You got it." Buffy replied, smiling up at him. The two met in a sweet, chaste kiss, before Spike walked away from her and faded into the shadows.

Buffy walked back to where Willow and Anya were standing and the three fell into step together, heading in the general direction of Buffy’s house. A smile was plastered on her face and she had to force herself to not laugh about how happy she was feeling right then. "What?" she asked when she noticed the others staring at her.

"What?!" Willow asked back. "Buffy, that was...Spike, you and- and Spike-"

"Yeah, we're kinda...together I guess." Buffy said.

"That's the reason you've been so happy these last couple of months." Willow said slowly, as understanding began to dawn. Right then and there, her feelings for Spike changed. If the vampire could bring a depressed and sad Buffy back into the light and make her laugh then he was worth keeping around for a while.

"Yeah, he helped me get back to everything and…" Buffy said. "He helped me live."

"Well, that's good then." Willow said. "That's good."

Anya turned her head and looked at Buffy with this "you've got to tell me now" look. "So..." she started. "How is he in bed?"

Buffy burst out laughing and quickly tried to be quiet. She blushed the slightest bit as she collected herself. "Anya, no...I don't know. We haven't...y'know, yet."

"But you're going to right? He'd be your orgasm friend...much like Giles' old orgasm friend when we lost our voices." Anya said, remembering the time when the Gentlemen came to town.

"Eeew...that was too much information." Buffy said. "No, we're...taking it slow I guess and just seeing how all of this turns out."

"Well, that's good." Willow said, jumping onto the Buffy and Spike bandwagon. Her friend was happy, and -okay -- Spike was the cause of it, but that wasn't the point.

"But I bet he's a *hell* of a kisser," Anya said, smiling over at Buffy.

Buffy grinned and let out a laugh that almost sounded like a snort. "Oh yes, hell yes." she said, giggling like a 16-year-old.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

For once, something very unusual was happening- everyone was getting along. Buffy and Spike were together, Xander and Anya were engaged, Tara and Willow were still going strong, and Dawn was free from the threat of some Hellbeast God or anything else. Everyone was worry-free and able to get out and have fun at night, almost as though Sunnydale was no longer on a Hellmouth.

 
Xander and Spike were actually getting along and Buffy seemed to have recovered 100% from leaving heaven. She realized that she’d get to go back there one day and she should live in the *now* with her friends and Spike at her side as long as she could. She loved him, which was clear to her now, and didn't want that feeling to go away. All in all, things were going pretty well. Which, of course, meant that something very evil was coming up.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

It was late at night, but the bus depot was still packed. Buses were rolling into the station and pausing only long enough to allow people to climb aboard before driving back off into the night.

One bus from northern California slowly stopped. A tall and broad shouldered man stepped off the bus steps. He was the only person stepping off of the bus- after all, who would want to come and stay in Sunnydale?

The man walked away from the brightly-lit bus station, swinging his beaten black leather bag over his shoulder. The familiar path appeared before his eyes and he started walking into town. "Good to be home," Riley said to himself as he breathed in the fresh air.

He'd drop off his bags at a hotel in town and then head out for his first stop -- Buffy's house.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~