Part 5:



Part 5:
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The next evening, Spike got ready to head over to Buffy's house. Although the sun hadn't fully set yet and he was seriously thinking about running over to Buffy's house now and dealing with getting singed from the sunlight. However, he wanted to look his best when he arrived. He would rather not have a trail of smoke follow him as he ran through the door. He grabbed his leather coat off the back of the chair and pulled it onto his body before beginning to pace back and forth again, counting down the minutes until the sun would have fully set.

 
The sun was barely visible now as Spike looked out the window. Spike was anxious to leave and willed the sun to go down just the slightly bit faster. He grabbed a cigarette and lit it before pacing again, willing the sun to go down just the slightest bit faster. After that cigarette was finished, he checked the window again. He thought to himself, seeing that the sun had finally set. He walked up to the doorway and opened the door, preparing to step out. He was so busy thinking about Buffy and the two of them that he didn't even see the stranger who stood in front of him. "Spike," a voice growled at him.

Spike stopped walking and looked up at the figure standing a few feet away from him. "Well, well, well," Spike said. "If it isn't Captain Cardboard back from South America."

"How ya doing, Spike?" Riley asked coldly.

"I'm fine, mate," Spike said. He started moving past Riley, but Riley blocked his move.

"Mind if I come in?" Riley asked Spike. He walked past Spike and entered his crypt. Spike sighed and cursed, turning back around and following him inside his crypt. Spike thought. He wanted to head over to Buffy's house so he could be with her as long as possible.

"Looks like I got here just in time," Riley said, walking deeper into Spike's home.

 
Spike raised an eyebrow, taking a few steps towards the man. Did he know what was going on? "What's that supposed to mean?"

"You know what that's supposed to mean," Riley replied. "You...and Buffy."

"What about me and the slayer?" Spike asked, trying to play it cool.

"The fact that I had to resist the urge to throw up when I saw the two of you together." Riley sneered, walking up to Spike. "So, what's the plan, Spike? You use her? Your chip has stopped working and so now you decide that the time is right to charm her with...well, whatever charms you have, before stringing her along until you can find some way to kill her?"

Spike stared at him in shock. "What's your excuse, Soldier Boy? You left her a year ago. I didn't see your name on her anywhere."

Riley grabbed him by the fabric of his shirt. "And if I find out that you actually looked everywhere..."

Spike shoved him off, taking a step back. "Sod off. She's not *yours*, mate. You left her, and I haven't."

"To my dismay, you haven't. You're right about that." Riley said. "I swear to god, if I find out that you've hurt her, screwed around with her brain at *all*, then I will --"

"It's not going to be like that, mate!" Spike exclaimed.

"Oh really? Because all I see is some lame-ass vampire who thinks he's got Buffy under his 'spell' and has nothing good to offer to her unlike-"

"That's enough!" Spike shouted, drawing out his left fist and punching Riley in the face. Riley fell to the floor in a heap as Spike stared at his fist in shock. "What the hell?" he whispered.

Riley slowly started to rise, shaking his head in an attempt to throw off the dull pain. He hadn't really been hurt by Spike's punch, it had only caught him off guard. When he stood to his full height and stared at Spike, Spike found himself gazing into Riley's eyes...his glowing, and eerily yellow vampiric eyes. "Surprise," Riley said. "Guess I'm not as ‘Soldier Boy’ as you thought."

"You're...you're a vampire," Spike could only stutter. He wondered how come he didn't notice it in the first place.

 
"Yeah, it's kind of funny how it happened," Riley said, walking around Spike. "My commander in the rainforest directed us to raid a village in the where those demons were living. He didn't know that the demons were in league with the vampires there. Before you know it, everyone's dead or turned and, well...I woke up with a craving to return to Sunnydale. I even got a warlock to cast a spell on me so that no one knows that I'm a vampire, not even Buffy. She'll think that I'm still good ol' Iowa-farm boy.

"You see, I guess I figured that if Buffy was hot for Angel, a vampire with a soul back then, and always had a soft spot for *you*, then...Hell, why *wouldn't* she ask me back to stay with her?" Riley said, grinning at Spike. "I mean, I come back to town and find that she's all hot for *you*, a vampire with a government chip installed into his brain."

"Buffy's not going to like you like that, and you know it," Spike said. "Okay, you got the monster in you now, but she's already got a monster...me."

Riley growled as he ran up to Spike, shoving him back to the wall of the crypt. "I don't think so, Spike. She sees me, she'll jump out of her however-many-months-long-insanity and come back to me, with open...well, you know."

Spike swung his arms around, pushing Riley off of him and then following through with a punch to the right side of his cheek. He kicked Riley in his gut and faced him. "Well, lucky me. Guess I finally can do what I've always wanted...kill you."

Riley growled in response. "You can try. Try your best, Spike." And with that, Riley leaped forward and kicked Spike in his stomach before hitting him on his back and shoving him towards the floor of the crypt. The fight continued. Along with his combat training and vampirism, Riley was a strong fighter, an equal match for Spike.

Spike dodged Riley's slow left-handed jabs as he tried to stay out of the way of his right fist. "So, what's your plan, mate?" Spike asked in between dodging. "You go over and turn Buffy and the two of you wreck havoc on Sunnydale?"

"Well, good idea..." Riley said, ducking as Spike tried to kick him. "Actually, I was thinking about turning Dawn first and making Buffy watch and *then* turn Buffy before we go wreck havoc on the town."

"You don't come *near* Niblet," Spike growled fiercely. "I'm not allowing that to happen."

Riley stared at him, momentarily letting down his defenses. "What's happened to you? Sure you've got a chip, but you're still a vampire, it's not like you've got a soul."

"No, but that little girl has gone through a lot, and I'm not letting her *or* Buffy down." Spike said, remembering the night when he promised Buffy that he would protect Dawn. He still held onto the promise and would until he or Dawn died. "Not that you would know anything about that," Spike added before punching him again.

Riley grabbed Spike and threw him up against a wall. Bending the blonde’s arm up behind his back, Riley smashed Spike hard into the wall, then forced him to turn and meet Riley’s own eyes. "Getting tired?" he asked.

"Not in the slightest," Spike replied. He tried to push Riley off, but his heavier body didn't budge.

"Well, I know that I'd love to stay around and fight, but I have to get to Buffy's house." Riley said. "I know that she'll just be speechless to see me." He punched Spike in his stomach and jabbed at him in the face with his fists. Riley pulled out a taser from behind his back and turned it on. The electricity shot out as he turned the taser on and pressed it against Spike's back.

"Arg!" Spike screamed. "Bloody hell!" Riley repeated the motion, this time sticking the taser on Spike's chest.

In a quick motion, he grabbed Spike and threw him across the room where he landed lying across the hole to the lower level of the crypt. Riley walked up to him and kicked him in the ribs, pushing Spike down into the basement where he landed on top of a pile of rubble. He looked down at the fallen vampire making sure he made no move to get up. "I'll be seeing you, Spike," Riley said before walking out of the crypt and turning toward Buffy's house.

 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~