Returning 6/9



Returning 6/9
By *~Rachel*~

Disclaimer
: Disclaimer: Oh yes…they are ALL MINE! (Sarcastic) Haha. RIGHT. Joss Whedon, Marti Noxon, Twentieth Century Fox Productions, UPN, Sandollar Television, and Mutant Enemy own BtVS. No copyright infringements were intended. This is my story and not meant to copy the show.

Rating: It's basically PG-13 all the way though until the last part, which is sort of borderline R/NC-17

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 
Buffy ran around her room, trying on various tops and necklaces and other things. Spike was coming over tonight. It was actually going to be the first time that the two had ever been alone at her house without the watchful eye of Willow or Xander or someone like that. She sprayed some perfume on her wrists and brushed through her hair, smiling to herself in the mirror. This was it...now or never. She loved Spike, she really did, and she wanted to tell him that and watch as his blue eyes lit up in surprise.

Downstairs, she heard the doorbell ring. she thought to herself. Usually Spike would walk in without warning and come up behind her when she was least expecting it. However, maybe tonight he was going to be polite.

Buffy walked down the stairs and walked up to the front door. She smiled, getting ready to great Spike as she opened the door. "Hey-!"

It was Riley. "Buffy, hey," he said, looking at her. he thought.

"Riley..." she said, at least acknowledging that she remembered him. Her smile had disappeared as she stood there, looking at him. She didn't want him here, especially when Spike was due any minute.

"How are you?" Riley asked. he thought. He knew that Buffy would think that it was suspicious if Riley couldn't enter the house by himself.

"I'm good," Buffy managed to say. "Listen, uh, I was kind of expecting some...friends, and they-"

"Well, this won't take long," Riley said.

"Okay then," Buffy said, moving aside to allow him to walk in. She stared at him, her eyes cold. "Well, are you coming in or not?"

Riley thought triumphantly to himself. "Sorry, I just didn't know if you were okay with me coming back into your home," he said as he walked through the doorway.

"Well, I can't say that I'm happy having you here but..." Buffy started walking into the living room and Riley followed, a look of hunger and evil stretching across his face. "Now that you *are* here, I guess I could ask you how things went?" She sat down on the couch and Riley sat down as close to her as he could without being *too* close.

"God, Buffy, it was horrible," Riley started. "So many of my men died...so much death, so many demons everywhere."

Buffy looked over at him, saying, "Riley, I'm so sorry."

"It was awful," Riley said. "But, we got released and now I'm back. I thought that we could, you know..."

"Riley, I don't think so..." Buffy said. "It's been a year. You don't know what's happened to me since you left. I’ve been seeing someone -sort of - and I think it may be..."

"Spike?" Riley spit out of his mouth, his farm-boy act starting to dissolve.

"Wh-what? How do you know about Spike?" Buffy asked. He didn't reply and she immediately got suspicious. "Riley, what happened?"

"Oh don't worry, I got him out of our way," Riley said smugly.

"What did you do?" Buffy asked, rising from the couch. "Riley, what did you do to him?" He didn't answer, just stared at her and smiled. "Whatever," Buffy said, starting to walk to the foyer. "I think you need to go," she said, her voice floating back to him. Riley rose from the couch and started walking up to Buffy, his facial features shifting into the face of an evil demon. "I need to go out there and find him...fix whatever you did to him." She opened the door for Riley to leave.

Riley walked up to her and grabbed the side of her neck, bending it to the left and baring in place of: bearing the right side of her neck, the side where each of them -- the Master, Angel and Dracula - those that had come before him, had bitten her. Her eyes widened at what he was doing. Riley growled in her ear before saying, "You're not going anywhere." He licked the side of her neck, his free hand grabbing her hands as they tried to push him off.

"Riley! What the hell are you doing?!" She shouted.

Her only answer was a feral growl before she felt his fangs penetrate her flesh and bite her.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Spike woke feeling dazed. He looked around, confused by where he was. It took him a couple of minutes to realize that he was in the lower level of his crypt. He shook his head, trying to force the headache to go away. he thought.

Spike climbed to his feet and pulled himself up the ladder before grabbing a stake from the weapons chest he kept in the corner He ran out the door of the crypt and used all his supernatural speed as he raced toward Buffy’s home, trying to get there before it was too late.

What normally seemed a short distance now seemed like a never-ending marathon as he ran to Buffy's house. Finally, he rounded the curve in Revello Drive, racing past the same streetlight he and Buffy had been kissing under the night before, and dashed across the road to her house. He let his mind wander and the thought that he may never kiss her again made Spike sick to his stomach but he kept his thoughts together, refusing to break down when Buffy may need him the most.

He sprinted up to her front porch, gasping for breath unnecessarily, and felt his heart drop when he saw Riley drinking from Buffy. The front door was open, the two of them lying on the floor as Riley slowly and painfully drew the blood out of Buffy's jugular. Briefly, Buffy met Spike's eyes, and he could see her whisper his name before his eyes closed. "No..." He whispered, fearing the worst for the woman he loved so much.

Spike jumped the three stairs on the front porch and ran inside the house. He pulled Riley off of her and pulled the stake out of the left-side pocket in his leather jacket. Riley turned to face him, his eyes gleaming and teeth and lips stained with blood.

"See?" Spike sneered in Riley's face. "I told you that you weren't the long-haul guy." And with that, Spike drove the stake home, right into Riley's dead heart. Riley exploded into a cloud of dust and settled around Buffy and Spike.

"Buffy?" Spike asked, bending down to look at her. Her eyes were closed and he couldn't see her chest moving up and down. He felt for a pulse in her wrist and felt a faint 'thump thump, thump thump.' Spike thought. "Buffy? Love, wake up!" he urged her.

He carefully picked Buffy up in his arms, the usual strong and powerful slayer feeling weak and feeble in his arms. Once again, he was running, only this time towards Sunnydale General, praying that he could get her there in time.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Hey! We need some bloody help here!" Spike shouted as he burst through the doors of the emergency entrance, Buffy held close in his arms.

Immediately, two nurses ran up to Spike and the unconscious slayer. "Okay, what happened, sir?" the brunette nurse asked.

"She...she got attacked, lost a lot of blood." Spike explained, trying to tell as much as the truth as he possible could. "Bloody hell, she needs help. I felt a pulse, but I couldn't get her to wake up."

"Okay, sir...we'll take it from here," the first nurse said, signaling him to follow her to one of the stretchers. "What's the victim's name?"

"Buffy...Buffy Summers," Spike managed to say. He laid Buffy on the stretcher and grabbed hold of her hand. He looked at her pale face and frowned, dragging his hand through her hair. Spike thought.

"And your name?"

"Sp-William," he said. "Uh...Winthrop," he said, trying to remember his last name and failing miserably. He made up something in his head. "Please, you guys have to help her."

"Sir, we'll do whatever we can." The second, and much older, nurse replied. "Debbie, pull Ms. Summers' file, please." she told the nurse who was following her. The brown-haired nurse and another man grabbed the ends of the stretcher and started wheeling it down the hallway. Spike followed the two, holding onto Buffy's hand.

"I'm sorry, sir," the nurse said, stepping out and holding Spike back.

"What?"

"You can't come with her." She said.

"Bloody hell I can't. I- I need to be there. I have to..." Spike said.

"Mr. Winthrop," she started. "Let us do our job. You did a good thing by bringing her here when you did, and now we need to take over."

Spike sighed. He hated rules, but he mostly hated rules like this. "Okay, I'll be out here."

Debbie, the nurse who had pulled Buffy's folder walked back over to the nurse that had helped Spike. "I got her information. This is the second time in three years that she's been here for the exact same thing," she said as the two of them started wheeling Buffy past the double doors.

Spike watched Buffy disappear down the hallway, hearing the two ladies talk about the last time Buffy was here for a "loss of blood" accident. he thought as he walked back into the waiting room. Then, feelings of shame and guilt washed over him. He should have gotten to her house sooner. He should never have let Riley get out of his crypt in the first place. Spike thought.

He walked over to the phone and dropped some change in the slot before dialing Xander's apartment number. "Hey...Harris there?" Spike asked Anya on the other line. "Yeah...yeah, it's Spike. Look, uh, you better round up the gang...something's happened to Buffy and she's at the hospital," he explained to Xander. As soon as he said that, Xander hung up the phone to go find Willow and Dawn.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~