Returning 7/9



Returning 7/9
By *~Rachel*~

Disclaimer
: Disclaimer: Oh yes…they are ALL MINE! (Sarcastic) Haha. RIGHT. Joss Whedon, Marti Noxon, Twentieth Century Fox Productions, UPN, Sandollar Television, and Mutant Enemy own BtVS. No copyright infringements were intended. This is my story and not meant to copy the show.

Rating: It's basically PG-13 all the way though until the last part, which is sort of borderline R/NC-17

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 
 
The gang arrived in short order. They saw him sitting in the shadows, anxiously waiting for news. More than anything, he wanted Buffy to walk into the room and tell him she was ready to go home. They crossed to him with worried looks on their faces.

"What happened?"

"Is she okay?"

"What did the doctors say?"

"What did you *do* to her?"

Tons of questions came out of all of their mouths at the same time, leaving Spike no time to actually answer all of them. Finally, they all quieted down and looked at him. Spike slowly stood up and stared at all of them. "She's going to be okay I think." He said to them.

"What happened, Spike?" asked Dawn, looking up at the blonde vampire with tears shimmering in her eyes.

"She, uh, got attacked, Sweet Bit," he explained.

"But...you were supposed to protect her," Dawn said, jumping to conclusions. "Where were you?"

"Helping?" Xander asked? "Attacking her in the first place?"

"Shut your *gob* Harris!" Spike shouted at him. "I would *never* do something like that to her!"

"Xander, I'm sure that Spike can explain all of this," Willow said. She was reminded when the same thing happened to Buffy and Angel when he had brought her to the hospital. They had all jumped to conclusions that Angel bit her for the hell of it, not because she forced him to. She didn't want that to happen again, so she was going to try and give Spike a chance. "Spike, what happened?"

 
"Uh...Riley, he came back to down with a new look, all fangy teeth and yellow eyes," Spike tried to explain. "He, uh, bit her and-"

"Oh, now you're just struggling for an excuse," Xander said. "Trying to do anything that can take the blame away from *you* and place it on someone else...someone that hasn't been here for like a year."

Spike scowled at him, knowing that this was just the opportunity that Xander needed to get everyone to turn against him. "Look, whelp, I know what I saw and what I did. This is just what you were hoping for, I know that." He looked over at Dawnie, who stood there with tears streaming down her face. "Look, Lil' Bit, I-"

"Why weren't you there?" Dawn whispered to him. Spike stared at her, his undead heart tearing in two from the tone in her voice and her facial expression. he thought. Spike gathered his composure and started walking away. He would head back to his crypt, pack up his things, and leave. Spike thought, because then he'd be just like all the rest of them, all the rest of those stupid blokes who had left her, and Spike was better than that.

A nurse walked into the waiting room. "Uh, is William Winthrop here?" she asked.

Xander and the gang walked up to her. "Yeah, he had to leave. Uh, this is Dawn, Buffy's sister, and we're her friends...extended family, I guess you could say." he explained to her. "So, how is she?"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

A day and a half later, Buffy snapped out of her coma. She jumped awake and gasped for breath. she thought. Her hand instinctively ran up to the right side of her neck, feeling the taped piece of gauze that was placed there over the bite wound. she thought, rising from the bed.

She saw her clothes lying on the chair across from the bed and slowly dressed, trying to shake off that feeling of dizziness and weariness. she thought. Well, her thoughts didn't even want to go there.

Slowly, she started walking out of the patient's room and saw all of her friends and sister sitting on a long bench in the hallway. She walked up to them, testing out her vocal chords with a simple, "hey."

"Buffy!" they all shouted at the same time.

"Are you okay?" Willow added. Everyone rushed up to her and surrounded her.

"Yeah, I'm getting there." Buffy said, trying not to move her neck to sharply. Whatever Riley had done when he bit her hurt. She hadn’t experienced this much pain from previous bites for some unknown reason. The only thing that she could think of was when Angel bit her, she loved him and allowed it. She even forced him to drink from her. The Master didn't take much blood from her, it was mostly the drowning part that killed her. Then, when Dracula bit her, Buffy was under his thrall. She didn't feel much of anything from him except the power that he had. Maybe since she could feel was Riley was doing to her and it was against her will, that she was feeling pain even days after it had happened.

"What happened?" Tara asked.

"Uh, Spike brought me here," Buffy said, her mind still fuzzy. "Did he have to leave? I guess so because of sun light, right?" She remembered something very similar to this happening when Angel had brought her in. she thought.

"You've lucky we didn't stake him right then and there," Xander said.

"Why? What did he do?" Buffy asked, confused. What had happened after she lost consciousness?

"He...he did *this*! All of this to you! Then he made up some lame-ass story about how Riley had come back to town and bit-"

"But he did, Xander...Riley did come back." Buffy said. "If it hadn't been for Spike, I probably would have been killed or turned...Xander, he saved me."

Xander lowered his eyes in shame. Xander wondered. Everyone lowered their eyes, regretting what they had and had not said to the vampire that had worked his way into their circle of friendship. Anya regretted trying to jump into the conversation to support Spike. Tara wished that she could have summoned up the courage to speak out against Xander's words. Dawn scolded herself for being so unfair to Spike, the person who had protected her all summer long. How could she have acted that way to him when no one else was supporting him?

 
"Where did he go?" Buffy asked.

"We, uh, we don't know, Buffy," Willow explained. "He just kind of walked off."

"Well, I need to find him," Buffy said, starting to walk away from her friends. Her legs felt like jelly and she instantly started collapsing to the ground. Dawn ran up and grabbed onto her, holding onto Buffy.

"Whoa, watch out, Buffy," Dawn said, steadying her sister.

"Thanks, Dawnie." she sighed and shook her hair out of her face. "Okay, maybe I should get home first and get some sleep...two or three days worth of sleep." she said.

"Don't worry, Spike still probably be sneaking into your bedroom tonight or something," Dawn said. "You know how he is."

"Yeah, I do," Buffy replied. "I'll go home and rest up some and then head out to find him. He must be feeling awful right about now."

Willow and Tara came up to Buffy's side and held her steady in between the two of them. Willow eyed Xander warily, angry that, once again, he had gotten in the way, saying things that shouldn't have been said and turning his friends against someone else. "Come on, Buffy, let's get you home," Willow said.

"Is there...can I help you guys with anything?" Xander asked, stepping forward.

"Xander, just leave it alone." Willow said. "Look, we'll take Buffy home to let her get some rest...give her some time," Willow helped Buffy to walk out of the waiting room. The two went searching for a nurse so they could check Buffy out of the hospital. Buffy never liked hospitals and didn't want to spend anymore time here than was necessary. Dawn gave Xander a sad smile before following her sister.

 
"Well, I'd say that went well..." Anya started, "Big mouth," and she turned around and walked out of the room also. Xander shook his head, thinking, as he turned around and ran after his fiancée.

"Anya, wait up..." Xander called out after her.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~