Returning 1/9



Returning 1/9
By *~Rachel*~

Disclaimer
: Disclaimer: Oh yes…they are ALL MINE! (Sarcastic) Haha. RIGHT. Joss Whedon, Marti Noxon, Twentieth Century Fox Productions, UPN, Sandollar Television, and Mutant Enemy own BtVS. No copyright infringements were intended. This is my story and not meant to copy the show.
Rating: It's basically PG-13 all the way though until the last part, which is sort of borderline R/NC-17
Summary: OK, everyone has done their own little version of what if Buffy and Spike were together and then Riley returned. Well, this is my version.
Spoilers: Probably most of fifth season and then since this story takes place in 6th season, spoilers for that. It doesn't really flow with the episodes, but it would be some time after "After Life" and before "Once More with Feeling," even though I make up my own "After Life" Type of scene.
Author’s Notes: Signifies thoughts.
Distribution: My site, Sinister Attraction, the groups I'm sending them out to, and....anyone else can just ask me first! (I'll probably say 'yes')
Special Thanks: Thank you SOOOO Much to my first beta EVER! Mary, thank you, thank you, and thank you again! You rock!
Feedback? OF COURSE!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 
It had been exactly 17 weeks and 2 days since Buffy had been brought back from the dead. Only Spike knew that Buffy had been in heaven rather than hell. However, she still didn’t understand why her friends had felt the need to bring her back. She was hurting, she was confused, and more than anything she just wanted peace once again. Buffy began spending most of her time alone in her room, reluctant to spend time with the gang. Almost every night she would go out to patrol, and eventually try to meet up with Spike so they could patrol together. When she wasn't patrolling, which seemed to be every other night or so, she tossed and turned in bed, trying to wake up from her constant nightmares.

Spike...he was the only one who actually knew what had happened to her and where
she had been. Strange as it may have seemed, Buffy found herself seeing Spike in a new light. She could relate to him in ways that she never thought possible, and sometimes it scared her -- she wanted more. Buffy would hang out with him until she knew that everyone would be asleep and she wouldn't have to worry about anyone bothering her with questions. As she patrolled with Spike, she learned his fears and guilt from the night she died; his feelings for her; his life 100 years ago, and more than she ever thought possible.

Word spread that the Slayer had returned from the dead a second time. Because of this, none of the demons wanted to take the chance of running into her. It seemed that almost all of the vampires and demons had cleared out of Sunnydale after those demon bike riders. Buffy was grateful of this, however, because it just made her nights go a little bit easier. Nevertheless, Buffy walked around the deserted cemetery with a stake in her hand.

"Evenin' love," a voice called out to her left.

Buffy spun around and looked toward the voice, already knowing whom it was. "Hello Spike," she greeted.

"Another night patrolling?" he asked, walking up to her. As soon as the sun had set he had started looking for her to see if she was out patrolling or not.

"What else?" she asked, continuing to walk. Spike fell into step with her. It was scary how alike they were now. Each of them knew more about each other than ever. When she came back, Spike was the only one who never pushed her to get back to the schedule of living. Instead, the two would talk as they patrolled- about stupid things, the way things were before he came back to down and was kidnapped by the Initiative. Spike was beginning to know Buffy better than Willow did anymore, since Buffy spent all of her time with him.

As Spike walked along side Buffy, he though to himself about peaceful he felt around her. However, ever since her return, that was the way that he always felt. He only hoped that she felt the same way. The two hadn't argued at all, something that Spike was grateful for. Spike had already figured that he had gotten more than a crumb. Maybe she was finally accepting all of him. Maybe she would start looking at him differently and his dreams would come true.

Spike decided to break the silence, saying, "How have you been?"

"I'm okay...I guess," she started. "Willow and all of them keep pestering me, trying to make me cheer up. Dawn has been staying with Xander and Anya most of the time because I'm just too busy to do anything for her...and yet I'm not doing anything. I'm just sitting here..."

This was about the 6th time that Buffy had shared her feelings with Spike, not knowing why she even started telling him what she was thinking. What made him so different that she could tell everything to without even having a second thought?

 
"They just want you to be happy, love." Spike said. "They think they did you a big favor by bringing you back."

"Well, they didn't. I wish they had just left me there." Buffy said.

Spike cleared his throat, wanting to change the subject. Truthfully, although he was shocked and angry that she had been brought back the first night he saw her, his feelings had changed. Now, he was beyond happy that the gang had brought Buffy back. However wrong it might have been, she was back here and befriending him, something that he never expected.

Buffy went on, saying, "Sorry, I know that you don't really want to hear me talk about this..."

"No, I don't mind it, love." Spike said.

"It's just that...it's nice," Buffy started, stopping her walking. She turned toward Spike, meeting his eyes. "It's nice to have someone to talk to that will listen to me and help me deal with all of this."

Spike smiled, glad that she finally admitted it. He had listened to her talk every night of their patrol and tried to reassure her. However, she had never come out and actually mentioned anything about it. "You know I'll be there for you, love." he managed to say.

 
She gazed up into his eyes, suddenly having the urge to kiss him and hold onto him until morning. She hadn't even had those lusty thoughts since Riley had left her, and that was more than one year ago. However, now the thought of it was killing her. she asked herself. "Look, I don't think we're going to find anything out tonight. It's been pretty quiet. Maybe we should just head back?"

 
"Sure thing, love." Spike said, turning around with her. The two started walking back the way they had come.

"Spike?" Buffy asked.

"Yes, love?"

"Can...can I hide at your place for a few hours?" Buffy asked, looking at him.

"What?" Spike managed to spit out. Now she wanted to come over to his crypt? He was beyond confused now.

"Well, I don't really want to go home. If I do...Willow is going to nag at me about how I should be doing *this* and doing *that* and *not* doing this and that and...and I don't really want to deal with that now," Buffy explained. Hopefully she could hide out at Spike's place for a couple hours until she was sure that Willow had gone to sleep.

"Sure thing, love. Uh, the place is a little messy- wasn't expecting company." Spike said.

"Oh, that's fine. I just...don't want to go home yet." Buffy said.

"Okay then, back to the crypt it is."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Buffy threw some empty beer bottles off the couch before sitting down. She plumped up a couple of the tattered throw pillows and lay down on the couch, getting as comfortable as she could.

"Make yourself at home, love." Spike said, seeing that she already had. He had emerged from the basement after grabbing himself a beer.

"Thanks," she said, smiling at him. Buffy thought.

"Do you want anything to drink?" Spike offered.

"Uh, let me think...if my choices are blood and beer, then I think I'll say no." Buffy said. She appreciated him being polite, however.

"Oh please, you think that's all I've got?" Spike asked her, raising his eyebrows. "Hold on a second." And with that, he climbed back down the ladder. Buffy shifted into a more comfortable position.

Honestly, she was very tired. Ever since she had come back, Buffy had been bombarded by dreams in the middle of the night that would wake her, and keep her up until dawn. Nothing she did seemed to make them stop. She closed her eyes, thinking that maybe if she could get some rest here at a new place -- even though it was Spike's place -- she wouldn’t be plagued by the nightmares. She moved her head against the pillows and started falling asleep.

Spike climbed back up the ladder holding a bottle of Minute Maid Lemonade in his hand. He tried one of those at the Bronze last week, and was hooked. he thought. "Buffy?" he called out. "I managed to grab one of these..." His voice died off, his eyes looking at the slayer resting on the couch. he thought. "Buffy? Maybe you shouldn't fall asleep," he said, walking over to her. He didn't want the gang to worry about her and send out a search team. He gently shook her shoulder, trying to wake her, but the girl didn't budge.

Spike set the bottle of lemonade to the side and looked at Buffy. It was so quiet that he could hear her heartbeat pounding as though it was reverberating off the walls of the crypt. He crossed the room and sat in an old chair from which he had a clear view of the slayer. Before long, he was drifting off himself.

 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~