~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~




~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 
 
Buffy fought...she couldn't breathe...everywhere she felt there was dirt...she pushed against the top...no movements anywhere else...dirt flowing in and no way out...there was mud in her hair, fingers...

It was pressing her to death...she couldn't get out...no escape......she was slipping away...no escape this time...dying...

"No..." Buffy started moaning, thrashing around on the couch. "No!"

Her screams shook Spike out of his sleep and he tried to gather his thoughts as Buffy thrashed and kicked over on the couch. She was dreaming, and from the looks of it, it couldn't have been a good dream. He quickly strode over to the couch and started shaking Buffy, gently at first and then harder.

"Buffy!" He shouted to her.

"No!" Buffy said, her hands moving to push him away. "NO!"

"Buffy!" He shouted once more, shaking her shoulders back and forth.

Her eyes snapped open and she stared at him without recognition. She closed her eyes for one second. As she opened her eyes once again, her awareness began to return. "Spike?" she asked tentatively.

"Yeah, love, it's me..." Spike whispered, his arms closing around her in comfort "It was a nightmare, you're okay. It was just a nightmare."

Tears started welling in her eyes and she lowered her head. "God, it was awful," she started, burying her head in Spike's shoulder. He ran his arms up and down her back to give her solace. He felt her salty tears soak through his shirt and his hands ran through her hair as she cried. "Spike...I couldn't get out. The dirt kept coming. I couldn't breathe." and she gasped for breath as her cries continued. "I was suffocating and I couldn't get out this time."

"Shh, love. It's okay now, I've got you," Spike said comfortingly. He remembered what that was like -- climbing out of your own grave. The only difference was that he didn't have to worry about breathing as he made his way through 6 feet of dirt and rocks. "It's all over, and you're okay."

"It's not over, Spike. They keep coming, the dreams, the monsters, all the things I have to face when all I want to do is lay down and rest for once. I can't even do that without having nightmares." Buffy said. She moved back and looked at Spike's eyes, which seemed to be shimmering with tears of his own. She realized again that her pain was his pain.

"You'll get through it all," Spike said, not knowing what else to say that wouldn't cause her even more pain. "You've got friends, a Watcher that's only...20-something hours away, and...you've got me." Spike said. He cupped the back of her head in his hands and kissed her forehead before he could stop himself -- it just seemed so right.

Buffy stopped crying and looked at him, seeing the love and adoration in his blue orbs. she thought. she asked herself. "Uh, maybe I should...go," she said awkwardly. She rose from the couch and started toward the door, wiping at the tears on her face

"Buffy, wait. Maybe you shouldn't be leaving in this condition," Spike said.

"No, I'm fine. It's a short walk from here back to the house." Buffy said, backing away from him.

"Look, I'm sorry that I-"

"No, I'm fine. I can get back over there by myself."

"Buffy, it's it because I just kiss-"

"No! It's not that, I just..." Buffy's voice died off, knowing very well that it *was* that. "I should get back in case Willow and Dawn start to worry about me." She started opening the door.

"Okay," Spike finally said, defeated.

"But I'll be out patrolling tomorrow...so, if you want to join me..." Buffy said, her eyes meeting Spike's. "I'll be out then." After giving Spike one small smile and wiping her eyes dry, Buffy stepped through the doorway and silently closed the door behind her.

Spike fell back into the couch cushions, smelling the air around him. he thought, lying down on the couch and stretching his body out. he added. He drifted into unconsciousness thinking of Buffy and the taste of her skin.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Slayer! Watch out!" Spike yelled as a vampire tried to roundhouse Buffy while she fought another one to her right. He grabbed the vampire that he was fighting by the collar and shoved him towards a headstone.

"Thanks!" She shouted back to Spike as she ducked one vampire's attack and then staked the one in front of her.

As soon as Buffy and Spike had met up, both planning to talk about their feelings towards each other, a group of vampires had emerged from a nearby crypt and fighting had ensued. Now the two were fighting off about 10 vampires, something that usually wasn't a problem except for the fact that Buffy hadn't fully gotten her slayer skills back up to par since her resurrection.

Buffy punched a vampire to her left in the gut before following through with a kick and then staking him in his dead heart. She turned to her left and started punching a new vampire. She felt weak, something she hadn't felt since she first became a slayer and her muscles weren't developed enough for the job.

Spike, on the other hand, was doing better than Buffy. He had already staked 4 of the 6 vampires around him and could tell that he was about to get one more. He grabbed one of the vampires by the shirt and spun him around, raising his left hand into the air and driving the stake home. The vampire exploded and Spike looked around for the other one that had just been standing there and was now missing.

"Spike! A little help here!" Buffy said, dodging the vampire whose kick then arched over her head. She blocked his punch before ducking once again, trying to get a clear shot in order to stake him. Three vampires surrounded her and one of them had just kicked the stake out of her hand. "A stake would be nice about now!"

Spike ran toward her. "Heads up, love." he said before throwing a stake in the air. Buffy caught it and very quickly dusted the vampires to the left and right of her and spun around to kick the vampire behind her. Spike watched as she fought the last vampire, amazed at how beautiful she was slaying and fighting. he thought.

Buffy tried to grab hold of the vampire's arm but he managed to slip out of her grip. He shoved Buffy hard, sending her flying back into Spike before he took off running for the woods. Buffy hit Spike with enough force to knock them both to the ground, and Buffy landed on top of the vampire. The two both groaned from the pain rushing through their bodies from the fall.

"That was great, love." Spike said with his usual sarcastic humor.

"Well, can't that just be the one that got away?" Buffy said, looking down at him. Neither one of them made a move to get up and chase the fleeing vamp.

"Not fair, I already had ‘the one that got away’ tonight," Spike said. He resisted the urge to push her golden locks of hair out of her face as she smiled down at him.

"Well..." Buffy started, catching her breath. "Then I guess tonight we've got ‘the two that got away’"

"Whatever you say, pet." Spike said, smiling at her. She returned the smile instantly. And the two smiled at each other a second longer until Spike said, "Uh, love, you want to get off me?"

"No, I really don't." Buffy said, and with that, she straddled him, pushing him flat onto the ground as she leaned down and pressed her lips against his. She held his arms down on the ground, keeping him from doing anything but kiss her. Her lips ran over his as the two kissed.

"What are you doing?" Spike finally managed to ask after Buffy pulled back gasping for air.

"What's it look like?" she asked, smiling at him with a sly gleam in her eyes. She lowered her mouth again, this time releasing his hands as she held into the sides of his face with her fingertips. Spike's hands traveled down her sides and rested at her hips as their mouths met over and over again, pausing only when Buffy needed to breathe.

 
Buffy pulled away and sat up straight, still not moving off of Spike's body. "Hey, Spike, remember when we were doing...this in that crypt when Willow did that spell? And Xander and Anya were fighting for their lives against that demon and we were just on the ground in this very position?"

"'Course I remember that, slayer," Spike said. "Bloody hell, been wishin’ it could happen again. It was very...well, I had Buffy taste in my mouth for days."

 
Buffy grinned, and delivered the only insult her mind could come up with at the time. So what if he’d heard it before? She was slightly distracted by the feel of his body beneath hers at the moment. A girl couldn’t be expected to be original all the time, could she? "You're a pig, Spike."

Spike returned her smile. "Yeah, but at least I'm not the one who wanted 'Wind Beneath-'" Buffy kissed him again, cutting off his embarrassing reminder of what he had yelled out to her friends.

"See? Don't need a wish for it to happen again." Buffy said, kissing him once more. "You make me happy, Spike. You're the only one so far who's actually been able to make me smile and laugh and remember all the good times instead of the bad and the …other bad parts of my life. I don't...I don't know where this is going, but I wanna find out. You want to find out with me?"

"Hell yes," said Spike, and he sealed their pact with a kiss.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~