~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

When Spike walked into the house carrying Buffy, they were greeted by Dawn. She opened the door for them the whole way, smiling at Spike as he walked in. She was excited because this was supposedly the night that Buffy would talk to Spike about her feelings for him. "Hey guys! You're back from patrol early." But then she saw Buffy lying in Spike's arms, not moving with her hands placed over her stinging eyes. "Oh God...Spike, what happened?"

"Nothin' Sweet Bit, just...lets get her up into the bathroom." Spike said, starting to carry her up the stairs. "Can you get a washcloth, Bit?" he called out to Dawn.

"Sure," Dawn replied, running ahead of Buffy and Spike and into the bathroom and grabbing a cloth out of the linen closet. "You want water on it?"

"Yeah, some warm water." Spike said, entering the bathroom. He put down the toilet seat before placing Buffy on top of it, letting her lean against the back wall. Dawn handed the wash cloth to him within another moment, and Spike started washing off her face. "Thanks, Nibblet." Spike said to her.

"Wh-what happened? What did this?" Dawn asked.

"Some nasty buggers." Spike replied. "A...a slime demon or something." He washed off the slime before rinsing off the cloth and going back to clean up her eyes. "She was complaining about her eyes...stinging and hurtin' her."

"Is she gonna be okay?" Dawn asked nervously.

Spike, who didn't even know for himself whether or not Buffy would be okay, simply nodded. "Sure she will, 'Lil Bit. Big Sis always pulls through." Dawn was silent and didn’t respond, knowing that he was just trying to make her feel better. "C'mon love, you gotta open your eyes..." Spike whispered at Buffy.

Dawn noticed his small act of caring and love for her older sister. "Did, uh...did Buffy talk to you? About trying the two of you out?"

Spike's eyes lowered. "Yeah, she sure did, Bit. Right before we were attacked by those nasties and she got slammed in the face with this gunk. Right before as, once again, I fail to protect her." He thought back to that night where she had asked him to do *one* thing and he had failed at that. Because of his failure, he had gotten her killed. And now...well, who knew what had happened to her.

"Spike, that wasn't your fault. What happened *that* night, or tonight." Dawn said, trying to reassure him.

"Sure it wasn't, Bit..." Spike said to her, "but somehow I just-"

"Spike...?" A weak voice called out. Buffy's arms started moving, trying to straighten her legs and arms out. Her eyes opened and she started looking around at her surroundings. She blinked several times.

"Buffy?" Spike and Dawn called out together. Dawn quickly hugged her sister. "You're okay!" Dawn said.

When Dawn let go, Buffy tried to stand up, but Spike pushed her back down. "Not now, love. You're still weak." Spike said. He stared into her eyes, which were darting back and forth, not meeting his own eyes even once.

"Dawn? Spike?" Buffy asked tentatively.

"Yeah?" The two replied, looking at her.

"Where are you?" Buffy asked.

"What?" Dawn asked. She looked over at Spike, giving him a 'has she lost her mind?' look.

"I...I can hear you...can feel you..." she ran her hand down Spike's arm. "But...but I can't..." her voice died off, realizing what was going on.

"Can't....?" Dawn asked, trying to start Buffy off. "Can't what?"

"Oh God," Spike said softly. "She can't see, Dawn." He told her calmly. He waved his hand in front of Buffy's eyes, but they didn't follow his hand. She didn't know that he was even doing that.

"What?" Dawn asked. "N-no. She'll be fine. Just give her a few minutes. Maybe it takes a while."

Spike lowered his head, sighing. His heart, whether beating or not, was breaking all over again. He had failed her, had failed his slayer. It was a simple thing to do- to keep the demons away from her. Well, he managed to keep one away from her, but one wasn't good enough. She had just said that she wanted to give them a chance, and this was how he repaid her? She was alive, yes, but she was...blind. How would she be able to survive this?

"C'mon, love, let's move you downstairs." Spike said.

"I can do it, myself." Buffy said, pushing herself up onto her feet. After trying to get herself steady, Buffy started walking ahead. Without warning, she tripped over the rug on the tiled floor and barely missed knocking her head against the sink. Both Dawn and Spike remained silent, both not knowing what to do. "Oh God...I can't see, I'm blind..." Buffy sobbed, finally realizing what this was going to mean.

Spike walked ahead of Dawn, walking up to Buffy and scooping her up into his arms and carrying her downstairs as Buffy cried against his chest. Dawn followed the two, keeping quiet. When Spike walked into the living room, he laid Buffy down on the couch, walking over and getting a comforter to cover her up. "Here, love...if you're cold..."

Buffy had curled herself into a small ball, trying not to cry. "I'm fine," Buffy said.

"You're not fine, love. You need help..." Spike said. He looked over at Dawn, who was standing in the corner. 'Help me out here, Dawn,' his look was saying.

"Uh...I can call Xander and the gang and let them know what's going on." Dawn said. "We can go over there tomorrow and figure out what to do and how to get your sight back. Is that okay, Buffy?"

Buffy lowered her head. Now she'd have to face her friends as a blind person. She couldn't deal with this. Tears silently started falling down her cheeks again. Now everyone would be rushing up to help her, treating her like she was a complete invalid. And now that she couldn't see...how would she be able to protect Dawn and her friends now?

Spike watched her as she cried. "That sounds fine, Nibblet. Why don't you go do that now?"

"Okay," Dawn murmured before walking into the kitchen to call Xander.

"Buffy?" Spike asked, sitting down on the edge of the couch beside her. "Do you want anything, love?" Buffy shook her head. "Or...how about the blanket?" Spike searched the room, trying to find something that she might want or need. "Or, how about-"

"Fine, I'll take the blanket." Buffy said, cutting him off. She didn't want help, but if it would get Spike to shut up. she thought. But right now, her sight came before the boyfriend pleasantries.

"Okay..." Spike said. He unfolded the blanket and started wrapping it around the small woman who lay on the couch. he thought for a second as he finished covering her. "Anything else you need, love? I could, uh...go get you something to drink...eat..."

"Spike! Would you just *stop* trying!" Buffy shouted at him. Suddenly, all of her anger was being released, and it was all being directed towards Spike.

Dawn had just finished her conversation with Xander. They were all going to meet up at the Magic Box tomorrow to research this demon that had hurt Buffy. Xander said he was going to call Giles to let him know what was going on. After hearing Buffy yell at Spike, Dawn ran into the living room.

Spike, stood up off the couch, staring at her with a surprised look on his face. He was surprised that she had just yelled at him. All he was doing was trying to help her out. Not only was he surprised...he was somewhat hurt. "I'm just trying to help you out, love. I can help you get used to all this."

"I don't *want* to get used to all of this." Buffy said crossly. She looked down to where her hands were resting. Not that she could see her hands, but she didn't want Spike to think that she was trying to look over at him.

"Well, let me at least help you then!" Spike yelled at her.

"I don't need your help." Buffy replied coldly. "And I don't want it either."

Dawn was surprised. She figured that if Buffy would allow anyone to get this close to helping her when all her defenses were down, it would be Spike. After all, tonight was the night that she finally told him that she had feelings for him. How could she be so cruel to him now?

Spike stared at her, millions of thoughts rushing through his head. he thought. Then he asked her aloud the next thought that came to his mind. "What happened to 'us', then, Buffy?"

"Us?" Buffy asked back, shouting it at him. She threw off the afghan and climbed to her feet. She didn't move forward so she wouldn't trip over the coffee table. "That was before I went *BLIND* Spike. Right now, there *is* no 'us.' There can't be an 'us.'" And then she told him what she was thinking about. "Right now, getting my sight back is going to come before the boyfriend pleasantries."

"Buffy..." Dawn gasped, surprised and stunned that Buffy would speak so fiercely towards Spike. After everything he had done for her friends and family, this was how she repaid him?

Spike's mouth dropped open, anger, confusion, and surprise coursing throughout his body. Now he was just pissed off. How dare she treat him this way! "Fine, Slayer!" Spike yelled coldly, using the term he used whenever she managed to piss him off. "You call me when you need me." Spike started walking towards the front door, grabbing his leather jacket off the stair railing.

"Don't count on that any time soon!" Buffy shouted out to him as Spike opened the door and walked out, slamming it behind him.

Dawn and Buffy stood there silently, both unmoving and quiet. Buffy suddenly let out a loud sob, falling to her knees, and then to the floor. Dawn rushed over to her sister, wrapping her arms around her. "It'll be okay," Dawn said, trying to soothe her sister.

"No...no, it'll never be okay," Buffy said. Buffy cries increased, the tears streaming down her cheeks as Dawn only hugged her tighter. "It's never going to be okay ever again."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The next morning, Dawn and Buffy silently attempted to have a somewhat normal morning. Dawn helped Buffy was her face, brush back her hair into a ponytail holder, and get dressed in a simple outfit. Then, Dawn helped her down the stairs to get some breakfast and finish preparing to go to the Magic Box.

"Buffy, do you want your black leather jacket?" Dawn asked.

"Doesn't matter. Not like I can *see* if I look good or not," Buffy said glumly, sitting on the couch. She didn't move so she wouldn't accidentally run into anything or trip over something that was on the floor.

"Hey, you look great," Dawn said, coming over and sitting next to her. Dawn leaned against Buffy, wrapping an arm around her. "Don't worry, Buffy. We'll get through this."

"Thank you, Dawnie," Buffy whispered, moving to kiss Dawn's forehead.

"C'mon," Dawn started, jumping up to her feet. "Let's get over to the store. They're all waiting for us."

Buffy tentatively stood to her feet and, with the constant help from Dawn, started walking out the door and towards the shop.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~