~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The next day, Buffy and Spike woke up together. Treating the day as though it was completely normal, the two had eaten breakfast together, stealing occasional kisses the whole day. The two knew that as soon as they met up with the Scoobies, they would have to disband and pretend as though they were not together.

Early that morning, Buffy called Willow and told her that she and Spike would not be at the shop as soon as the sunset. Buffy also filled Willow in about what she would have to do to defeat the Skiritosh. Buffy figured that she and the gang would go out and start patrolling for it around the graveyards that night. Hopefully, it hadn't skipped town yet.

Hours seemed like minutes for Spike, who was dreading the moment when Buffy would have to face off against the Skiritosh demon. When Dawn came home from school, Buffy and Spike filled her in about what Buffy was getting ready to face. Dawn tried to force Buffy to change her mind- Dawn didn't want there to be any chance that she would loose her sister again. Later, however, Dawn finally gave in. The three of them spent the afternoon together, trying not to think about what was coming. Finally when the sunset came, Spike knew that it was time to go. "Ready?" He asked Buffy as he walked into her room.

Buffy, who was lying on her bed, rose and stood up. "Ready as I'll ever be." She said.

"C'mon, love. Let's get you to the shop." Spike said. He walked over and helped her walk down the steps and after Dawn came running down the stairs also, the three of them headed towards the town where the shop was.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Buffy, Dawn, and Spike walked into the shop. Over in the corner, Tara and Willow were talking together as Anya and Xander gathered a couple weapons for Buffy. "Hey," Buffy said as she walked inside.

"Hey Buffy," everyone in the room replied before going back to helping her get ready.

Spike led Buffy over to the chair where she sat down, waiting for everyone to finish preparing. Dawn followed Buffy, going to sit down beside her. Xander walked over to her, holding an axe. "Here, Buffy," he said, giving it to her open hands.

"Thanks Xander." Buffy replied. She tested the axe, moving it around in her grip, saying, "this feels good. I think I can use this."

"You know I don't want you to do this," Xander said.

"Yeah, you and everyone else in this room." Buffy said, mostly thinking about Spike as she said that. The two had talked together that afternoon about what they would do if something happened to her.

"Look, all we want is for you to be safe." Xander said. "I've seen you sparring with Spike and...and you're good, but I don't know if..." his voice trailed off.

"Don't worry, Xander. I'll be fine. I can handle this," Buffy said. "I just want to go and get it over with."

"Well then, kiddies. What are we waiting for?" Spike asked. He had regained his 'bad ass' attitude since he was around Buffy's friends and was trying to act coolly as possible. In reality, however, he just wanted to grab a hold of Buffy and never let go of her ever again.

"Oh...Tara, can you stay here and watch over Dawn for me?" Buffy asked.

"S-sure thing, Buffy." Tara replied softly. She smiled over at Dawn, hoping that she could get a smile out of Dawn.

"Be careful, Buffy." Dawn told her sister, taking her hand and squeezing it.

"Don't worry, Dawnie. I'll be fine. I'm coming back, okay?" Buffy said, trying to reassure her.

"Okay," Dawn replied softly.

"Okay, let's go," Buffy said. All together, Buffy walked out the door followed by Spike, Willow, Xander, and Anya. Buffy held onto her axe with a couple stakes in her pockets as the group headed out to the graveyards to start searching.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"You know, I don't think it's here," Anya said. "It's late, I'm cold, and I want to go home so Xander and I can-"

"Ahn, honey. They don't need to be hearing this now." Xander said, sighing over her complaints. "But she's right, there's nothing here, Buff."

"Maybe they whelp's right, love." Spike said. "There's nothing here."

Buffy, who had been searching for about 2 hours with the gang, sighed loudly. "But- but this was the graveyard and everything. This was where we found him."

"Well, Buff, maybe tonight isn't the night." Xander said.

"Yeah, c'mon Buffy. We'll patrol tomorrow night," Willow agreed, trying to help keep Buffy's hopes high.

"All right, let's start heading back then," Buffy said. Inwardly, Spike sighed. She was alive for one more night. One more night where he would get to stay under her roof, keeping a constant eye out for his Slayer. Spike started guiding Buffy back and her friends followed behind the two. However, Buffy suddenly stopped walking when she heard a sound to her right. "Do you guys hear that?"

"What?" Willow, Xander, and Spike asked.

"A noise, over in the bushes." Buffy said. "Spike?"

"Hold on, love." Spike said, letting go of her shoulders. He walked over and looked behind a crypt that was a few feet away. There, he saw the demon that the gang had been searching for the entire night. He thought, walking back over to Buffy.

"Well?" She asked when she heard Spike approach her.

"Yeah, it's him." Spike said. "Ready, love?"

"Ready as I'll ever be," Buffy said, spinning the handle of the axe around in her hands. The grip of the axe felt tight in her grip, and Buffy knew that she could do this. Thanks to all of Spike's help and wisdom, she knew that she could do anything. "This won't take long, you guys. Stay back, okay?"

"You got it, Buffy." Willow and Xander replied.

Spike led Buffy closer to where he saw the demon. "All right, the bugger is over there. Just...get his attention and go get him. All right, love?" Spike asked her.

Buffy swallowed thickly. Now nervousness was creeping up on her. "All right then." Spike let go of her shoulders and started walking away. "Spike?"

"Yeah, love?"

"Wish me luck?"

Spike walked back up to Buffy and kissed her, pouring every ounce and particle of passion and love that he could muster without just taking her into his arms and never letting go. "Good luck," he said softly, his voice husky with desire for the small blonde in his arms.

A few feet back, Willow, Anya, and Xander were watching the scene between the two blondes with looks of shock on their faces. Well...Willow's features were more of a smirk than anything else. "What the hell?" Xander asked when he saw Buffy and Spike kiss.

"Oh...they never told you?" Willow asked her friend smugly.

Spike smiled down at Buffy. "Come back to me, Slayer."

Buffy smiled, feeling his chest rumble as he growled towards her. However, no longer was the term 'Slayer' a cold remark at what she was- it was *who* she was. It was a part of her that Spike loved. Buffy thought. "Count on it," she replied before untangling herself from Spike's arms and walking a few feet away. Spike walked back to where her friends were standing to watch over her.

"Hey!" Buffy yelled, trying to get her attention. "Hey, I'm talking to you, you.... Skittle demon." Buffy paused, knowing that wasn't right. "Yeah, I'm talking to you. Why don't you come out here and face me?"

In front of her, the Skiritosh demon lumbered out from behind the crypt. "Slayer..." he growled very slowly.

"Yeah. You think you're all special because you made me blind?" Buffy asked. The demon growled in response. "Well, c'mon- fight!" Buffy said, initiating the fight. She heard the demon take a step towards her and before he got the chance to move, she guessed where it was standing and ran towards him.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"So...how's it going?" Spike asked Willow who was watching the fight intently.

"It's going okay," Willow replied. She watched as Buffy swung the axe in midair before finding the demon and punching it away from her. Buffy swung the axe again, this time swiping the demon's arm. It was pretty much a stalemate right now- neither of the two showed signs of stopping or failing.

Xander and Anya, who were also watching Buffy took the time to talk to Spike. "So, did we miss something here?" He asked Spike.

"Look, Harris, don't stake me for it." Spike said, trying to concentrate on Buffy. "Just a good luck kiss- nothing more."

"Bull, that was a love type of kiss." Xander said. "Please don't tell me you're still thinking about getting in her pants."

Spike wanted to brag. He wanted to tell Xander that he was going to get that chance someday. That Buffy said that she loved him...that he meant something to her finally. But he just sighed and rolled his eyes before turning back around and watching Buffy fight. Spike said, watching Buffy swing the axe towards the demon.

Suddenly, the Skiritosh demon swiped out his arm, whacking Buffy against her face. She went flying back, landing on the ground several feet away. It threw her concentration and she momentarily lost grip on her axe. Spike moved to go help her up, but Willow held him back. "No! You heard what Giles said- no helping."

"Right, Red." Spike said. "Sorry." The gang went back to watching Buffy fight the demon.

Meanwhile, Buffy was fighting for her life by now. She was tiring and there seemed to be no end to this. This wasn't like sparring against Spike. This demon wasn't holding back or anything. The Skiritosh demon hit her, throwing her against the tree. Buffy threw her hair out of her face out of habit and climbed back to her feet. She breathed in and out, each breath seeming to be harder than the next.

"Slayer..." the beast growled. "Give it up. You really think you can fight me? Blind?"

Buffy closed her eyes, doing as Spike had always instructed her. She felt around with her other sense. Her ears listened to the demon walk across the dry grass. She smelled the putrid slime of it's skin as he walked closer. She could feel him move with each breath of wind.

"You've got no chance, Slayer. I will-" Buffy threw the axe out in front of her, throwing it towards where she heard and felt the demon. A second later, she heard a sickening 'squish' as the axe flew into the demon. With a groan, the Skiritosh demon fell to the ground, lifeless.

Buffy stood in her fighting stance for another second. "Guys?" she asked, trying to get her friends' attention. "Did I get it?"

"Buffy! You did great!" Willow said, running up to her. Anya and Xander followed behind her and hugged her quickly. "C'mon, let's get the blood." Willow said, turning back around and walking over to the demon.

"Spike?" she asked, trying to hear him.

Suddenly, a pair of arms wrapped around her waist, and she breathed in the scent of smoke and cologne. "You did great, love." Spike said in her ear. He kissed the nape of his neck, not caring if anyone was watching them.

"What is up with those two?" Xander asked as he watched Willow get the blood from the demon.

"Let's get back to the shop and then we'll give this to Buffy." Willow said, placing the bottle back in her bag. "C'mon guys," she said. She watched as Buffy and Spike hugged each other. "Okay!" she yelled, trying to get their attention.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Once back in the shop, after a few hugs between Buffy and Dawn, Willow got out the blood of the demon and handed it to Buffy. "Okay, here you go, Buffy." Willow said. Buffy took the bottle and quickly drank it down. She made a face and a sound that meant she obviously didn’t like the taste of the blood but tried to swallow it in one gulp. "Is it working?" Willow asked.

"I don't know, give me a second." Buffy said. The room was silent as they waited.

Buffy blinked, trying to speed up the process. The black void that she had been seeing for the past months slowly began lightening. "It's working," she said excitedly. The gray became lighter until all she could see was a pure white. Then, colors began forming. Blurry at first, Buffy began seeing shades of black...red...blonde...

Then, the blurred colors gradually became shapes and Buffy found herself looking directly into Spike's eyes. "Spike!" Buffy shouted. She smiled and then jumped up out of her seat and into his arms, surprising him and catching him off guard. Together, the two of them fell to the floor as the two kissed.

"Uh..." everyone started saying, trying to look anywhere but where Buffy and Spike were. "Looks like we've missed some things," Willow said.

Dawn smiled at the scene. Her sister had her sight back and, from the looks of it, a new boyfriend. A boyfriend that wouldn't leave her or even start to think about giving up on the idea of the two of them. From behind them, everyone in the room heard a 'thump' as Xander fell to the floor in a dead faint.