~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The two had already been patrolling in the graveyard for about one-and-a-half-hours and Buffy and Spike had only found one lousy newbie vampire. The slayer had been unusually quiet all night long, only speaking to Spike when she was forced to. Spike, however, didn't mind the silence. He was simply happy to have Buffy back and kicking.

"Anything wrong, pet?" Spike asked her quietly.

"No...well, I've just been thinking..." Buffy started.

"And that's never a good thing, love." Spike gently teased.

Buffy, however, only managed to crack a small smile before continuing. "I was starting to think...about us." Buffy said.

Spike looked across to Buffy, but couldn't read her expression. "Us, pet?" Spike asked, confused. Sure, ever since she had returned they had been growing closer and closer, but what was she talking about? Did she want more? Or was he getting too close?

"Yeah...uh, do you want to sit?" Buffy asked. She and Spike walked over and both of them leaned against a tombstone. "Look, uh...I've been thinking about what's been going on ever since I got back. Everyone has been getting on my case, telling me to do this and that, and be a bright, happy Slayer."

"They care about you, love. It's not like they wouldn't help you," Spike said.

"And I know that. I know that they care about me but...I *died*, Spike. I was dead for three months, not just one minute like last time...I was dead." Buffy argued.

"I remember...it's not something I really like to think back to," Spike said, lowering his head for a second. He remembered seeing her body lying on a pile of rubble looking so peaceful. That moment, he felt anguish and heartache run through him like never before. Buffy had died...because he hadn't been able to get to Dawn and save her.

"And they don't know what I went thought at all." Buffy continued. "There is just *no* way that they can even begin to understand what it was like."

"Just give it time, love. Don't expect them to understand everything that you went through right away." Spike said.

"I know. But you...you helped me get by. You understood what I was going through when I got back. I guess that you're the closest person I've got that's gone through the same thing." Buffy said, looking over at him.

"Well, I tried my best to help you out, love." Spike said.

"I know, and I am more than grateful. I think...that if I hadn't had you here, I'd be in the loony bin about now." Buffy saw Spike smile. "So, I have a lot to thank you for."

Spike, slightly surprised by her kind words, stood on his feet. It hadn't been but about six months ago when Buffy had uninvited him from her home and told him to stay away from her family and friends. However, because of her death, Buffy was thinking on a higher and more sensible level. "Well, thank you, Buffy. That means a lot to me."

"I...I also have a lot to make up for. I think that I've realized that life is precious and you have to act now or you might never get your chance." Buffy said, also standing up and looking at Spike. "I mean, you had to put up with a lot of crap from me back when I hated you so much back then."

Spike's eyebrows raised as he looked at her for a second. "Hated? I notice that's past tense."

"You did? Good." Buffy smiled at him, trying to work up the courage to keep talking to him. "Y'know...I had this whole speech planned where I gently worked my way into the real point of the conversation and...and now I think that I'm really bad at saying stuff like this."

"Just say it, love," Spike said calmly.

"Spike, I...I haven't opened my heart to anyone in such a long time. And since I've come back, I've discovered that it's because I'm afraid. I'm so afraid that it's going to get broken by another person again. But...*you*...I don't think that you'd ever do that to me."

"You know I wouldn't," Spike assured her. And that was the truth. Spike spent over 100 years with Drusilla. Although their reasons for sticking together were somewhat different, Spike was devoted to the woman he loved. And he was still in love with Buffy.

"So...I was wondering if you...if you wanted to give us-"

"There's that 'us' again," Spike commented, slyly grinning at her.

"Yeah. Do you want to give us a try?" Buffy finally asked.

Spike's face showed surprise and confusion, and then slowly changing over to pure love for her;. Buffy realized. "Really, love?" Spike asked.

"Yes...really. Spike, I mean, I'm not 100 percent sure how I feel and what my feelings are for you exactly, but...but I'd like to find out," Buffy said.

"Buffy..." Spike gasped. He stood fully upright and looked down at her. He grabbed her hand and looked into her eyes. "I'm not gonna let you down."

"I believe you," Buffy said softly.

"And I'm not leaving you like the Giant Poof or Captain Cardboard." Spike said. This was his big chance. Buffy was giving him more than a single crumb. This was more than he could ever ask for. And he wouldn't let her down- not again.

"That's nice to know," Buffy said. "I talked with Dawn about this before you came over and she was absolutely ecstatic about the whole idea."

"You told Little Bit about this?" Spike asked. This surprised him. If Buffy had talked to Dawn about this, the one person she loved more than anyone else...her family, then that must mean that she was heavily thinking about this. It meant that he meant something to her.

Buffy nodded and smiled when she saw him crack a boyish smile at her. She took one more step towards him before talking again. "Hey, I just told you what was going on in my heart and soul. The least I deserve is a kiss, right?"

Spike's smile doubled in size if that was even possible and his eye twinkled. "I think that can be arranged, love."

Spike gathered her up into his arms before kissing her. Buffy was amazed by the passion she could feel as Spike pressed his cold lips against her warmer ones. Instantly, it was like a shock wave was racing through him when he met her warn, full lips. Buffy instantly responded, wrapping her arms around his neck as she raised her head to be closer to him. She felt as though she were on fire. So many emotions were racing throughout her mind...mostly love and want.

Spike passionately and roughly kissed her, caressing her lips with his. However, throughout all of his passion, Buffy had never felt anyone treat her so gently. His hands slid around her waist, pulling her deeper into his embrace. He felt her hands travel through his hair and Spike felt as though electricity was surging through his body. Buffy felt the exact same way.

For the two of them, it was an instant connection.

When Spike finally pulled back, Buffy was breathing heavily. He held her close to him, kissing the top of her head.. Buffy thought.

Spike's mind was reeling. Never had he felt like this with anyone. Drusilla was pure lust…but this incredibly woman was more than that…much more. She was giving him a chance to prove his love for her. He heard her sigh and he felt her relax in his arms. He lowered his head and kissed her forehead, dragging his fingers through her hair slowly.

Buffy thought, breathing him in. Finally, she looked up into his piercing blue eyes. Buffy thought as she smiled at him. "That was nice." She stated.

"Just nice, love?" Spike asked, bumping foreheads with her.

"No…much better." She corrected before smiling. She felt him kiss her cheek and move back to her lips, warming her to her soul even though there was no warmth coming from his lips. Suddenly, a rustle came from the bushes at their right. Buffy and Spike once again broke apart. "How come they always interrupt me whenever I'm busy?" Buffy complained.

Buffy and Spike stepped away from each other and Spike withdrew his hands from resting on her waist. The two of them looked at where they heard the noise come from. Suddenly, two grotesque monsters lumbered out of the bushes. The two monsters growled as they approached the slayer and her vampire companion. On top of their heads were two large horns. The two were covered in a clear, glossy slime, which smelled like putrid and rotten eggs as they advanced closer towards the couple. They were clothed in rags that also were covered in that slime. "Eww!" Buffy complained when she saw the demons walking towards them.

"No rest for the weary, love." Spike said as he stood in a combat position, ready to take on the fiends in front of them.

"Talk later, kill now," Buffy said, running up and kicking the demon that was closest to her. The demon took a step back but retaliated with a punch and shove. Buffy went flying and landed on the ground in front of a tree. She shook her head, trying to regain her senses.

Spike ran forward next, trying to get back at the demon that threw Buffy to the side of the graveyard. He punched the demon with all his might, but the demon didn't even respond to getting punched. Spike withdrew his hands, now covered in the ooze. To his right, Buffy was beating up the other demon, kicking the thing before throwing a punch and then another kick.

Neither of the two could get a good grip on the monsters because the slime made them very hard to get a hold of. Whenever Buffy tried to grab the demon, it would slip out of her slender arms and get away. Buffy kicked the demon away from her, allowing herself to catch her breath. "Spike! These things...they don't get hurt!"

Spike, however, was trying to fight the other demon. He was keeping it busy so it wouldn’t get over towards Buffy. "Bit busy right now, love..." Spike muttered before kicking the monster in its stomach. "Just keep fighting the thing." He punched the slime demon in its stomach before kicking its side of its face. From the corner of his eye, he saw the slimy demon get back up onto its feet and start walking over to Buffy. "Buffy! Look out!" Spike shouted trying to get her attention.

"Wha-" Buffy tried to say. However, the demon slapped Buffy on her back, knocking her to the ground. Dazed, Buffy could only stare at the demon that now towered above her.

"Slayer..." the demon growled fiercely.

Spike tried getting over to Buffy to help her out, but the second demon grabbed him, throwing him against a tree. Spike jumped back up to his feet, growling, his facial features shifting into the demon inside of him. He shook off his leather jacket to keep it clean before he jumped up onto the demon's back, trying to hold on as the thing thrashed around. Spike pulled his arms around its neck, pulling its head around until he heard it snap. Both the dead monster and Spike fell to the ground in a huge pile.

As Spike was trying to kill the demon, however, the first demon that was standing over top of Buffy, shook his head, showering her with lumps of the mucus from his body. "Gross!" Buffy said. "Do you have any idea what the dry cleaning bill will be for this?" She jumped back up onto her feet and kicked the demon in its gut, forcing him away from her.

But before Buffy could kick the creature again, it threw a handful of slime onto Buffy's face and right into her eyes. Buffy screamed before trying to get the mucus off with her hands. She stumbled back, tripping over a headstone, and landing on the ground. She frantically continued trying to clean her face.

"Buffy!" Spiked shouted, seeing what was happened. He untangled himself from the monster and ran over to her help. He stood in front of her, placing himself right between Buffy and the monster. He looked up at the thing, standing at his full height. "Don't come near the girl." Spike said. Instantly, he remembered that night where he told Doc the same thing. "Unless you want to end up like your mate over there, I suggest that you leave."

The demon growled. "Came to do what I was suppose to." And with that, the demon lumbered back into the woods.

Spike spun around, looking at Buffy before crouching on his knees in front of her. "Buffy?" Spike asked, grabbing a hold of her shoulders to stop her from thrashing around. He tried to help wipe the slime off her face as he also tried soothing her. "Buffy...love? Can you talk?"

"Sp- Spike, my eyes..." Buffy moaned. "My eyes...they sting, all over. Oh God...help me, Spike." She sobbed before leaning into Spike's embrace.

 
"Okay, love. Let's get you home." Spike said. "Hold on," he said before running over and grabbing his jacket. He wrapped his leather coat around Buffy's shoulders before picking her up in his arms. Walking as fast as he could without causing Buffy any pain, Spike began heading back to the Summers' home.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~