Spike looked longingly at the house next door as Buffy got out of the car. So many good memories were had in that house, in that yard, and in that drive way: his friends pulling up in a limo outside of his house as Buffy walked across the yard to meet him for prom; walking out the door the day of graduation and finding a motorcycle he’d always talked about restoring; the worried look on his mum’s face as he hopped onto the seat; running lines in his room with Buffy; his first kiss underneath the mistletoe, with her, the person who popped up in most of his memories.

Spike watched as Joyce opened the door to welcome them home. Buffy ran up the stairs and enveloped her mother in a tight hug, as if they hadn’t seen each other in years. Suddenly Buffy turned towards the care and motioned for Spike to join them. That seemed to snap him out of his thoughts. He took a deep breath before opening the car door and stepping out slowly.

“Spike come here and give me a hug.” Joyce yelled, holding her arms open. That seemed to encourage him, as his steps got bigger.

“Joyce it’s so good to see you. I’ve missed you so much.”

“Mama!!!” a small voice said from within the house. Moments later the producer of the melodic voice came barreling out of the door. “Mama, you’re home. Guess what?”

“What, sweetheart?” Buffy said, kneeling down to speak to the girl.

“I made you a present in class.” She stated proudly, giving Buffy a huge smile. She slowly pulled a piece of paper from behind her back. Buffy smiled as she looked at her child’s gift. Spike moved to get a look over her shoulder. A giant yellow star had been cut from construction paper and sprinkled with gold glitter. In the middle was circle with a hand drawn version of a movie camera. Underneath the circle in bold letters was ‘MAMA’. “I remember grandma taking me to see the stars of the sidewalk. Said you’ll have one someday. Now you do.”

“It’s beautiful, Jenny.” Buffy said, tears forming in her eyes. She took the girl in her arms and closed her eyes, relishing the feel of having her daughter close. She pulled back and Jenny’s hair out of her face.

“That’s a great gift, pet.” Spike said nervously.

“Thank you.” Jenny said proudly, then frowned slightly. “Who are you?”

“Honey, this is Spike. He’s a friend of mine. He used to live next door.” Buffy explained.

“Oh…” she said, still taking the man in. Finally, she walked over to Spike and stuck her hand out. “Hi, my name’s Gwendolyn Jenny Summers.”

Spike smiled and kneeled down like Buffy had done earlier. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, bit.”

“Grandma and mama told me I was named after the lady who lived next door.”

“That would be my mum.”

“She was very pretty. I have a picture of her in my room.” Spike looked up at Buffy, who gave a small nod. “I like your hair. What happened to your eye?”

“I was in a fight. A big bully pushed me and I bumped into a table.” Spike explained, rubbing his eyebrow gently.

“That happened to my friend Alex, but he just cut his lip. It looked like it hurt really bad but he didn’t cry at all. Bobby got sent to the office and his mama came and got him. She looked really angry.”

“Jenny, sweetie, why don’t you go inside and hang Mama’s star on the refrigerator.” Joyce told the girl. Jenny gave a wide smile, snatched the star away from Buffy and ran into the house. “Spike, could you grab the bags out of the car?”

“Not a problem.” He instantly ran down the front steps.

“He looks good. Never thought of him as the bad boy type.” Joyce said as they watched Spike.

“Oh, I think it’s always been there, somewhere. He’s grown so much. The best of both worlds. He’s gained a lot of confidence, but is still the William I loved.”

“Buffy, honey, you have got to tell him. It tore you up when he left, you can’t let that happen again.”

“Mom, we agreed that we’re more than friends, but we haven’t…to tell him that…I’m scared it’d push him away again.”

“Elizabeth Summers you leave me no choice.” Joyce said sternly.

“Mom, what are you…”

“Just sit those by the stairs, Spike. Always the gentleman.” Joyce said, making Spike blush. “I was just about to make us some lunch.” She said moving into the kitchen, Buffy and Spike following after her. “I forgot to tell you on the phone. Jenny has been invited to a slumber party tonight.”

“Oh, I thought we could all spend the night together watching movies and stuff.” Buffy said, disappointment evident in her voice.

“I know, sweetie. But she’s so excited to go and we can have a night in tomorrow. Tonight, you two are on your own. I have…well, I’m meeting a friend for dinner.” She finished quietly.

“Joyce has a date.” Spike sung.

“Mom?”

“What? I’m going out for dinner. Maybe you two should think of doing the same thing. There’s a lovely little restaurant that just opened on the beach. If you call now, they may still let you make a reservation. Plus, it’s not the place I’m going tonight. That would just be embarrassing.” She said walking to the drawer where she kept menus and cards for restaurants. She walked towards Spike and gave him a small business card. The wink and smirk she gave him startled him.

“How ‘bout it, pet? Would you like to have dinner with me tonight at…” he looked down at the card, “The Blue Moon.”

“Of course, Spike. I’d love to.” Buffy said shyly.

“That’s great. Now what would you like for lunch? I was thinking maybe salads and sandwiches.” Joyce said excitedly.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Spike had called the restaurant immediately, making a reservation for 8 o’clock. Spike and Buffy couldn’t relax for the day. Excitement and nervousness kept them from talking too much about their date later that night.

Sitting on the couch later that afternoon, Spike couldn’t take it any longer. ’Maybe being alone for a little while would help. Like a performance. Only it’s not a performance, it’s a date. Bloody Hell!!’. “Joyce, I’d like to take a shower before…” he stopped himself, glancing at Buffy.

“Oh, hon, you can use Jenny’s room for tonight. I put your bag up there already.”

“Mom, I doubt that Spike will feel comfortable getting ready in a 5-year-old little girl’s bedroom. No, Spike you can use my room, I’ll use Jenny’s room.”

“Thanks, pet. ‘preciate that. Wouldn’t feel very manly surrounded by “My Little Pony” posters.” Spike said making a move to the stairs.

“I’ll have you know that there are no ‘My little pony’ posters in there, only Barbie.” Buffy said following him up the stairs.

“My mistake.” Spike laughed.

After a few minutes later, Buffy walked back into the living room. “Jenny, honey, do you have everything you need for your sleepover?”

“Yeah, I just need to get my movie.” Jenny ran over to the video cabinet, grabbed her favorite dvd. “We each get to bring a movie. I said that I would bring ‘The Little Mermaid’.”

“That’s a great choice.” Buffy said, sticking the movie into a small, pink backpack. “Mom, are you sure you want to take her over? Spike and I could…”

“Yes I’m sure, plus you both take so long to get ready and I told Jenny she could go early.” Joyce leaned into Buffy slightly. “I don’t know when I’ll get home, so don’t wait up for me.”

“Mom!!!!”

“What? I’m only human.” she grabbed the small backpack.

“You’re leaving now?” At Joyce’s nod, Buffy picked Jenny up, giving her a kiss. “You be good, ‘kay. Call me if you need to come home.” Buffy moved to the open door. Joyce led Jenny out the door and down the steps. “Have a good time?” she yelled.

“I will.” They said in unison.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Spike had been out of the shower and in her room getting ready for a while before Buffy jumped in for a quick shower. After pampering herself and blow drying her hair, she went into Jenny’s room to finish getting ready. She started to apply her makeup, when she heard heavy footsteps on the stairs followed by the opening of the front door.

Frantically, she opened the room’s door. “Spike!? Where are you going?” she yelled.

“Just going out to get some smokes, luv. Be back before you know it.” Then he was gone.

“Okay…” Buffy finished applying her makeup.

She looked at the dress that hung on the door, her special dress. The one she had bought for a very special guy. It was one of the first things she had bought when she moved to LA. She’d never gotten the chance to wear it before. It had hung in the back of her closet. Nothing special, just something that he would like; something that would take his breath away. She stood and walked slowly over to the dress. She ran a hand over the soft black fabric. She smiled as she gently took the dress off of the hanger and laid it on the bed. Removing her robe, she slid the dress on and looked at herself in a mirror. It still fit perfectly. A pair of 4-inch red heels completed her look. Now all she needed was her date. Buffy walked downstairs, found a small purse, and filled it with essentials for the evening.

“God, where is he?” She paced. Time seemed to be moving slowly as she kept glancing at the clock. After 15 minutes, she decided to try to call him. Nothing. She tried to keep busy by continuously checking herself in the mirror until finally she was sick of looking.

The ring of the doorbell had her running as fast as she could to the front door. “Spike, where…”

The sight of Spike standing in a suit, holding a small bouquet of white and lavender roses, made her stop.

“Hey, pet. You look gorgeous.” He ran his eyes over her appreciatively before meeting her eyes.

“Thanks, Spike. You look good, too.” She moved over so he could come in. “Did you, um, get your cigarettes?”

“I lied. I wanted this to be a proper date. Couldn’t rightly come and pick you up while I’m still in the house. I bought these for you, though.” he said handing her the flowers.

“They’re beautiful. Give me a sec, I’ll put them in some water.” She grabbed a vase off of a side table and returned a few moments later.

“You ready, luv?”

“Lead the way.”


Chapter End Notes:
please review...they make me happy.
Buffy's dress: http://www.bluefly.com/browse/zoom.jsp?productCode=301489801&&altimg=true&zoom=1altImage=0
Rose color meanings: http://www.proflowers.com/flowerguide/rosemeanings_dir_default.aspx