Chapter 4: ‘You Have To Break A Few Eggs…’




Buffy sat on her living room window seat, the one at the full bay window, sipping a glass of California Cabernet wine, her favorite red varietal. She loved this window, loved the view it afforded her as she stared out at the dusky sky and sighed. If only the pain in her heart, the one caused by a vice like grip of the hand of His Majesty, King Angel, who, by the way would be home soon.

She only hoped she’d composed herself enough to fool him into believing that nothing was amiss. The ‘kick in the gut’ pain she’d felt earlier had subsided somewhat, but her urge to throw up every five minutes persisted.

“What a first class prick!” she sighed with comtempt, and sadness as she reassessed her plan of revenge on both Angel and his bitch Cordy. Funny, all consuming pain could be quite inspirational, or irrational as the case may be, however, it still hurt, no matter how hard Buffy tried to push it back down.

To console herself, she went back over her plan of action. Connor was not going to be a problem, that was for sure, but Riley might be a bit tricky. Sherrif Finn was a also a first class prick, but he wasn’t as stupid as he looked and he might not want to risk losing Cordelia at any cost.

“That would be priceless,” Buffy giggled as she sipped her wine, “nail Riley Finn!” But then what?!

It suddenly occurred to Buffy that she had no idea what she would actually ‘do’ with these unwitting men once she had seduced them, that is, if they could be seduced.

Yes, Angel held Riley in complete contempt and Cordelia was engaged to the buffoon, but once Buffy had done the deed, what then? No one could know about it and even if personal vindication was sweet, what if Riley, or Xander or Connor didn’t just ‘fade into the distance’ after the fact? What if they had their feelings hurt, or felt ‘something’ for her?

“Oh well,” she consoled herself, “you have to break a few eggs to make an omelette!”

Of course, on the other hand, Buffy would feel double retribution where Riley was concerned. She could stick it to Cordelia, silently, while she got great retribution on Riley for his disgusting behavior back in their school days. Which, brought her right back to Spike Giles.

Out of any of the guys that Buffy could even remotely think of as cheating on Angel with, Spike was the only one she was truly drawn to, sexually. In fact, she had always considered him as hot, hot, hot! In his ‘retro 80’s kind of way’ that is. His hair, his basic black clothes, totally punk, totally deadly to Buffy, at least. Spike has always been ‘it’ as far as she was concerned, even if she’d screwed up back in High School and ruined any chance of a normal romance with him.

With another sigh, a shake of her blond head, Buffy had to chuckle, “if Spike only knew the real reason I said ‘Angel’ that night, he’d just die from the irony of it!’

Some years ago, Buffy figured out why she’d reacted the way she did that night, even if she never told anyone else, especially Spike. Maybe she should have told, at least Spike, maybe then there wouldn’t have been this tension between them that hung over their whole group for the last ten years. The blond guy had never forgiven her for that night at the Delta House and she barely got through the whole thing herself.

It was a miracle that she kept her friendships with the group, much less tolerated Spike’s presence with them. Of course she never told anyone about that night and Spike’s ego alone kept him from spilling his guts, ever. Their clique remained entact, even if everyone in it knew there was some ‘rift’ between the two blonds, perhaps the others just felt it best not to ask questions.

All through their Senior year, the group of friends stayed together through thick and thin; even Spike stuck around, but always in the background now.

In College, however, when Buffy, Angel, Willow and her Oz, Xander and the newest addition, Anya, went off to their higher education, Spike embarked on his ‘darker career’ on the outskirts of Sunnydale society, always in the shadows. Still as much as Buffy tried to discreetly avoid him, Spike always seemed to find a way to throw himself into her path. If Angel ever suspected anything, he never said such, actually, he’d probably never suspect ‘his’ Buffy of any such behavior.

Angel’s ego was even bigger then Spike’s!

Buffy’s thoughts were interrupted by the sound of her husband’s black Mercedes pulling into their long, circular driveway. That ‘pain’ the suffocating one that sucked all of her breathe out of her lungs and choked off her throat returned, briefly.

“It’s showtime!” she whispered with determination and made way into the kitchen, onto the back service entry.

“Maggie!” she called in passing, “is the Chicken Marsala (Angel’s favorite meal) ready?”

If she didn’t know better, Buffy could swear that her loyal cook just gave her a sarcastic smirk as she passed by.

“What?” she questioned the older woman, no answer, “What is it?”

Maggie raised her right eyebrow, “you want supper in the kitchen, or the dining room, madame,” her voice was tinged with a tone that Buffy couldn’t quite name.

“What’s the problem, Maggie,” she sighed with exasperation, “why the formal questions tonight?”

For an instant, Buffy saw a look of genuine sympathy in Maggie’s blue eyes, “nothing, Buffy,” she whispered with an embarrassed look, I was just being a bitca, sorry.”

Buffy placed her tiny hand on the cook’s arm, “what is it Maggie, what do you know?”

If the older woman ‘knew’ anything, she covered it by looking away, “nothing, Miss Buffy, I’m sorry.”

With a shrug, Maggie shook of her employer’s hand and hurried back into the kitchen to set some table.

“The Dining Room!” Buffy shouted excitedly, “we’ll eat in the Dining Room.”

It was at that precise moment that her errant husband stepped through the back door of their nearly $1,000,000.00 house and Buffy snapped ‘to attention!’

“He’s home, at last,” she looked him up and down, “just like a Timex Watch…takes a licking and keeps on ticking!”

With a shake of her pretty blond head, Buffy put on her ‘happy face’ and mused, “watch out Travers world, Buffy the Bunny just got Energized!”

As they ate the pefect Chicken Marsala ala Maggie, Buffy watched her ‘perfect’ husband, Angel.

“God,” she groaned inwardly, “what a slob!”

She had never noticed before, but Angel ate like a pig! Actually, a pig would probably eat with more manners! When he wasn’t talking with his mouth full, he was talking with it wide open.

“Why in the heck haven’t I ever noticed what a disgusting slob he is!?” she giggled.

“What?” Angel asked, his mouth full of pasta, “what was that, babe?” Buffy stifled another giggle, “nothing, hon,” she answered, wide-eyed, “no, actually,” she continued, “I asked, how about discussing your job?” Of course, this was an open invitation for Angel to talk about himself, his stellar career and exciting office life and Buffy tried hard to stifle a large yawn with her tiny hand. “Yeah, that’s great,” she answered automatically, “glad the Chase account is so ‘hot!”

“Or,” she muttered, “is it just ‘Cordy Chase’ that’s so hot?!” Angel stopped his chewing, and chawing long enough to give her an inquisitive look. “Huh?” he questioned with a confused look. “I said,” Buffy answered, her expression a mix of exasperation and a smirk, “it sure is hot for this time of year.” With that, she calmly went back to her Chicken, a signal that it was time to change the subject.

Angel obliviously began to discuss his business trip to Chicago at Wednesday morning. In all the upheaval of the last few hours, Buffy had completely forgotten about it. “I’ve already told Riley our Thursday evening golf game is off, but you’re going to have to call Connor tomorrow and tell him not to meet us here.” Buffy let the last sentence sink in, Connor didn’t know that his idol, Angel, was going away and was prepared to meet Riley and him at the Travers house, as usual, Thursday to golf with them. Usually, Buffy forgot about the non-descript boy, Connor, especially since she detested his girlfriend, Angel’s little sister, Dawn. However, the whole ‘golf mentor’ thing by Angel and Riley for Connor just got real interesting for her and her mind battery immediately jump-started into overdrive. “Bingo!” she chuckled to herself as she poured her darling husband another glass of wine.