Chapter Two: When Angles Fall


It had started like any other beautiful Spring morning, a Tuesday, typical, happy and normal for the charmed Buffy. She got up, had breakfast with her handsome husband, Angel, sent him off to work with a kiss and a cup of coffee, then showered and dressed for her hair salon appointment, to be followed by her manicure and pedicure; French this time.

Maggie, the family cook, who’d been with the Travers before Buffy married Angel, had fixed a wonderful Tuesday morning breakfast. Jenny, the maid who lived in house, that is from Monday to Friday (both Maggie and Jenny had Thursdays and most weekends off), had cleaned, pressed and functioned, as always to perfection, the way a good maid should. Buffy’s life was so simple, so organized by everyone else, that she barely had to breathe for herself to live.

After her high light job at ‘Locks By Lorne’ by the magical Lorne himself; and the equally wonderful manicure/pedicure by Amy, Lorne’s young sister, Buffy trotted off to ‘surprise’ Angel at his office at Snyder, Levison and Travers for a lunch out together at about noon.

Although Buffy didn’t make it a habit to drop by her husband’s office for a surprise, she’d done it before; it wasn’t unheard of. Today, like before, Buffy pulled into the parking structure of the office building, parked in the usual visitor spot, and strode, with confidence, into the large building lobby. As usual, for a Tuesday,it was occupided by the elfish, diminutive security guard, Johnathan Levy. Johnathan smiled warmly at Buffy and waved with affection. They had attended Sunnydale High together and although the impish man/boy was considered a nerd by teenage standards, Buffy had embraced him as a kind young man even then. She waved back with enthusiasm and inquired about his wife and new baby with genuine interest.

“Katrina is fine, Mrs. Travers,” Johnathan gushed, “and our boy, Johnny is doing great!”

Buffy smiled, then scowled a bit, “please, Johnathan,” she admonished, “I’ve been Buffy to you a lot longer then Mrs. Travers!”

The small man broke into his warm grin once more, “of course, Buffy, sorry. My family is great!” he finished with another smile.

“Okay, then,” Buffy giggled, “I’ll see you on the way out and I want to see tons of pictures!” With a wave she stepped into the elevator and punched number 7. The floor Angel’s law office was on.

When Buffy stepped into Angels office, she noticed that Anya, his secretary, was not at her usual post. She assumed that her college friend had gone for lunch and thought nothing of her absence. Actually, Buffy was rather relieved that Anya was out; it had been only three months or so before that Xander, Buffy’s best male friend, and Anya had parted ways. Buffy still felt a tinge of guilt over that as it had been herself that had set the dark Xander and fair Anya up in College.

Way back in their High School Senior year, Xander still harbored a crush on Willow, though truth was, he’d always really loved Buffy. When red-haired Willow had taken up with wild, guitar playing Oz, short for Danial Osbourne, well, Xander was heart broken and Buffy felt inclined to play match-maker between he and Anya.

Buffy encouraged the budding Xander/Anya relationship, even pushing for an engagement, especially after she’d married Angel. Everything went smoothly for a while, but a month before the Xander/Anya wedding, things went to hell in a hand basket. Anya had left her secretarial job at Angel’s one day, early, and come home to find her finace in bed with none other then Willow Rosenberg.

Even after apologies, remorse and guilt, Xander decided to go with Willow and leave poor Anya alone in their tiny apartment. Anya somehow muddled through; Willow and Xander moved in together and everyone held their breath to see how things would turn out.

However, in the back of her mind, Buffy always felt that Anya somehow held her responsible for the whole mess. Sunnydale was not Los Angeles, pretty much everyone, who was anyone, could figure out what everyone else, who was anyone, was up to. They all knew what the skinny was of the time and Anya knew, in her heart, that Xander truly loved the unattainable Buffy, even more so then his precious Willow.

So, when Buffy slipped inside the inner door that connected the front of the office to that private area that was Angel’s, she never thought anything of it. The door was unlocked and she just stepped through, happy to surprise her darling husband for lunch. What she saw there, stopped her dead in her tracks and cause her to freeze in horrified shock!

Angel, Buffy’s Angel, was doing something that could only be called ‘screwing’ Cordelia Chase, from behind no less, up against the desk that she, Buffy, had given him two Christmas’s ago. The two dark haired people were so engrossed in their coupling, that they never noticed the tiny blond standing shell shocked and open mouthed by the office door. Buffy stared in horror as the couple moaned and groaned in sexual pleasure, her face contorted in anguish, a silent scream coming from her throat. After a moment or two, Buffy slipped out of the office, still unnoticed, and fled down out into the 7th floor hallway and into the tiny, claustriphobic elevator.

Without saying a ‘goodbye’ to Johnathan who looked on in confusion as she passed, she half ran to the parking lot and her beautiful little Camaro.

She threw the car into reverse and sped out of the parking structure, mercifully missing poor pedestrians or other parked cars along the way. It wasn’t until she’d driven two miles away from the offensive office building and pulled into a tiny City Park’s parking lot, that she completely lost it and broke down in tears.

“Fucking bitch!” she screamed into the cab air of the small Camaro. “Fucking, two-timing bastard!”

Buffy’s tears spilled like rain onto her hot, red cheeks. Her mantra of bitch and bastard continued as she considered slamming her forehead against the hard steering wheel of her car.

“Why?” she cried to the invisible Angel, “how could you?” Within a moment’s span, Buffy could figure out why Cordelia, or Cordy as she was called in school, did it. Buffy and Cordy Chase had always been rivals, even silent ones. Xander Harris had gone with Cordelia for two years in High School, even taking her precious virginity, but Cordy was no fool. Like everyone else in Sunnydale High, the brunette, rich, Cordelia knew that Xander truly loved Buffy. He even helped Buffy with her ‘Homecoming Queen’ campaign, much to the anger of his tempetuous cheerleader girlfriend.

Angel was another story, or was he? Buffy was well aware that the Chase’s, Sunnydale’s cream of the crop in families, were top ‘A-one’ clients of Angel’s law firm. The kind of family, with the kind of daughters, Cordelia and Faith Chase, that the likes of Frank and Helen Travers would be glad to accept into the family, no questions asked. Frank Chase was a widower who cut a nice swath across the social world of Sunnydale and Cordy was no exception. She’d inherited her father’s charm, looks and would eventually inherit all of his money. Faith, her younger, college bound sister, was a different story, she was rarely discussed and there was talk.

Buffy, in her heart and soul, knew she’d never match up to the lineage of Cordelia or Faith Chase and somehow, she realized in that shattering moment, Angel knew it too. Still, parked in the little lot, her eyes bleared with hot tears and sobs of pain, Buffy wondered what to do? Should she confront her husband? Confront Cordelia, the Queen Bitch of Sunnydale? Confront her own insecurities

As she sat, staring blankly at the passing mothers with their small children, Buffy began to cry with silent tears, her voice cracked and broken; her pleas of ‘why’ and ‘how could you’ fell on deaf ears. No one else was around, only the petite, charmed blond beauty who sat in a cheery red Camaro, her misery oblivious to the young mothers and children who passed by her.


Finally, after an hour or so of her sobbing desperation, Buffy found her presence of mind to drive home, albeit very slowly. As she drove, she thought, actually she carried on a conversation with herself.

“It’s unfair!” she hissed, “I used to be so hot, so sure of myself. I was the hottest girl in Sunnydale High School, well, maybe not High School, but in College!”

Everyone had said so. Heck, what she’d lost out in in High School, Homecoming Queen, she made up for in spades in College. Junior Princess, Homecoming Queen in her Senior year, she’d outshined the bitch, Cordelia herself at Sunnydale U. What had happened? Buffy had won it all! Homecoming Queen, Head Cheerleader, Angel Travers! What more was there? Forget that she’d given up on her own dreams, she was too busy pushing the dreams and ambitions of her charmed husband and his clan!

Buffy Summers Travers was the most popular girl in Sunnydale when she was in College. Angel and Buffy were ‘the couple’ of SunnyD now! Well, Cordelia and Riley were a close second, but that didn’t count, did it? And what about Cordelia and Riley Finn? Did the big oaf, Police Chief Riley Finn, know about his darling meal ticket, Cordelia and Buffy’s precious husband? Riley’s and Cordy’s marriage was less then five months off, sometime in August and here the little bitch was screwing a married man, Buffy’s married man, in his office! On his antique desk that his wonderful wife had given him!

By the time Buffy had gotten home, pushed past the servants, Maggie and Jenny, and made the upstairs bathroom by the master bedroom, she threw up for a full five minutes. Once she’d stopped throwing up, Buffy rinsed her hot face with very cold water and lay down on the California King bed she shared with her errant hubby.

Her mind was in a fog, but one question kept echoing in and out of it while she lay there, staring at her wooden ceiling, “what I’m I going to do?!”


A/N: Just what will Buffy do? Something not too bright, I’m afraid. A flashback in the next chapter reveals just why Buffy and Spike are at odds with each other after all these years. Thanks, please read and review. Luv, Spuf