Chapter 8

Spike got back late at night and he wasn't happy. Willy didn't have anything useful to tell him. He went upstairs and opened Buffy's door to find her asleep, curled up with Mr. Gordo. He had to smile at how innocent she looked. He closed the door and headed back downstairs. He figured until she got her memory back that it would be best if he slept on the couch. He finally dozed off after a while. Buffy came downstairs in the morning to find Spike asleep on the couch. She knew they were friends, but she was starting to wonder if he lived there. She wasn't sure about waking him up, but she needed to talk to someone. She walked over to him and shook him, but he didn't budge. She tried it again and got nothing. He really slept like the dead. She was about to nudge him awake again when he suddenly caught her wrist and his eyes opened. "I'm awake; you can stop with the shaking now." He said as he let her wrist go.

"I'm sorry; I didn't mean to wake you. I just needed to talk about something." Spike then sat up and looked at her.

"That's fine, what do you need to talk about?" Buffy sat on the couch next to him and wasn't sure what to say. She didn't want to sound crazy.

"I think I'm starting to remember things, but none of it makes any sense." She said and he grew interested.

"Like what?" He asked her and waited for her to continue.

"I had these dreams last night; at least I think they were dreams. They could have been memories for all I know." She explained.

"What did you see?" Buffy took a deep breath before she continued.

"It's going to sound weird, but I saw monsters. Lots of different monsters and sometimes I was fighting them. It was way creepy, but it felt real and oddly a little familiar. Am I crazy?" Spike shook his head; he knew he would have to tell her sooner than he thought now.

"No, you're not. There's something you need to know about your life, Buffy." She nodded and she wasn't prepared for what he told her. Buffy was still sitting on the couch with Spike a little while later taking in what she just found out.

"Okay, so what you're saying is that demons and vampires are real and that I'm the Slayer and it's my job to fight them and save the world?" Spike nodded.

"That's one way of putting it." Buffy sighed.

"This is all a bit much. I just thought I would start to remember boyfriends, school, family, and friends. I never would have expected vampires and me being some sort of hero. You do realize that sounds insane?" Spike nodded again.

"I know it does, but it's the truth. You've been the Slayer since you were 15. You have dealt with so much in all that time. More than one person should have to deal with. You even died once from what I hear." Buffy's eyes grew big.

"I died? I thought you told me that a Slayer is only called when the previous one dies. If I technically died before then why am I still the Slayer?" Spike shrugged.

"I'm not sure how it works, but technically since you're still alive you're still the Slayer. The best there ever was. It was your choice to keep on fighting. Besides, the Slayer that was called after you was killed and the one after that ended up in prison. So, that only leaves you." Buffy didn't know what to think about any of this and Spike was afraid that it would be too much for her. He just hoped he did the right thing by telling her. Buffy then looked back at him and for once he couldn't read the look she was giving him.

"I really thought things would be easier once I got my memory back, but it seems like my life is pretty hectic and not at all normal." She said as she then stood up, but kept her eyes on him. "If this is my life, I don't think I want to remember it anymore." She told him as she went upstairs. Spike sighed and rubbed his eyes. Giles would not be happy about this.