Chapter 12

Love is inevitable. Not matter how much we say we don’t want to love again we never really learn to stop loving. Even if we know we were just walking right into risking getting hurt against still does not stop the heart from beating a bit faster when he’s near. And now sitting in his arms she knew she had let love get the better part of her. For no matter how much she tries to say she isn’t, trying hard to get her emotions under control for all of this would just lead to further heartache she couldn’t stop it. She was falling for him.

“What are you thinking of, luv?” he asked her as he kissed the top of her head, tightening his hold on her never wanting to let go.

“Nothing…” she simply replied as she snuggled deeper into his embrace. Truth of the matter was a lot was in her mind. She was thinking on what she should do about the position that was waiting for her at Lakeside. She debated in her head whether she should take it or not. It was what she had been waiting for; it was what she was here for in the first place, the logical part of her mind screamed. But the other one, a much louder voice. The part of her heart saying she should stay here with William and Prue, right here where she felt safe, warm and loved in his arms. She didn’t know what to do; she knew no amount of thinking would make the decision any easier; she had to do what she had to do.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

“Dar, look at this,” Lindsay came into the master bedroom where his wife was sitting atop the bed filing her nails.

“What is it now?” she asked tiredly. For all she knew this was another one of his ideas to put their poor son-in-law William down. The poor guy have just lost his wife and was just trying to get back into the flow of things then her husband comes in and tries to make it harder of him than it already is. “If it’s about William, I don’t want to hear any of it. Get over it already, Honey.”

“I can’t get over it!” he explained as he paced on the foot of their bed. “He was never good for Dru and what makes you think he would be any better for Prudence.”

“He had proved himself more than we expected he would. He had exceeded our expectations. He had given Drusilla everything she ever wanted and then more. He made her happy. What more can you ask for?”

“I wanted him out of her life and he didn’t abide with that…” He gave out a breath, “And look at what happened to her, he killed her…”

“No he didn’t!” Darla interjected, “It was nobody’s fault. Nobody wished what happened to Dru; it was neither William’s nor anybody’s fault.” She placed her hand on his arm to stop him from moving, “I know you’re hurting, Honey but you have to let go… she’s in a better place now.” Silence befell as neither said anything more until Darla decided to break it, “Plus you would never find anything on William, he’s too good of a man.” She retorted as she went back to her previous position and went back to filing her nails.

“Oh yeah…” Lindsay said as he walked over to her side of the bed, “Just look at this,” he handed her the paper he got.

“No way…”

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

“Okay, thanks.” She ended the call as she place the phone back on its cradle. “Who was it?” Buffy heard William creep up from behind her as she felt his hand on her shoulders as she let herself relax into them. “Nobody,” she told him as she turned around and brushed her lips with him.

He moaned before they pulled away from each other, “How about I take my two favorite girls out, huh?” he offered as he wrapped his arms tighter around her waist. She nodded her head against his chest holding on tighter. “Where do you wanna go?” he asked as he kissed her hair taking in her scent.

She looked up at him, “How about if I tell you I just wanna stay here at home… like this.” She answered him as she went back on her previous position head buried in his chest.

“Then your wish is my command…” he answered, “I can always ask Rupert, Joyce and Willow to take the night off so that it’ll just be you, me and Prue. How about that?” Buffy nodded eagerly from her place. “Okay then.”

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

He knew he shouldn’t even try he couldn’t do this if his life depended on it, but determination was on his eyes as he braved the confines of the kitchen.

Chances are things people don’t seem to get a lot, especially in life. William was certain he would do everything he can to not blow this chance that Buffy had given him. He wanted to prove to her… no show her that what he said was true. They had passion and something more, at least that’s what he felt and he wanted to prove himself right. He racked his brain on what he could possibly do with her. Should he take her out to an expensive dinner… no, she doesn’t fell quite comfortable with those kinds of people. How about out on the boat then… no, reminds him too much of Dru… can’t possibly make Buffy feel comfortable. The park? Then it hit him much like being knocked over on the head, he didn’t need to bring her anywhere, for one thing she doesn’t really have any spare time for she spent most of her time taking care of his little one while he sat on his chair in his office doing what he called work, he could perfectly spend time with her right here in the confines of his house, helping her take care of his own daughter.

So that’s what he had done the past week, taking a little time off from work to spend some time with Prue. Killing two birds with one stone. What kind a father is he to think that he would only take the time to spend time with his daughter so he can date her nanny? He just comforted himself by saying that a step into the right direction is still worth praise. And he had Buffy to thank for that. She had changed him in more ways than she could possibly know. And he hadn’t even thanked her for it.

“Aww… look sweetheart, Daddy is cooking something for us.” William heard the kitchen door swing open Prue carried by Buffy against her hip. ”Smells de- like it’s burning…” she trailed off as she set the baby down on her high chair and effectively raised her eyebrows his way as she peeked over his shoulder.

William looked at his pathetic excuse for cooking and grabbed the pan by the handle forgetting to use a pot holder causing him to successfully drop it onto the stove as his hands got burned. He gave out an OW! Bloody hell! as Buffy decided she better get rid of the pan in the sink herself before further badness occurs.

“I’m pathetic… I can’t even make a bloody dinner!” William said as he continued to nurse his hand as he watched Buffy clean up the mess he made. “Wanted to make you and Prue a romantic dinner, but I should have followed my instincts that told me I couldn’t possibly cook to save my life.”

Buffy turned back to him, “Oh that’s okay… we don’t need romantic.” She told him as she shortened the distance between them. “I sure am okay with it.”

“Come here,” William grinned and opened his arms asking her to come near him and she complied. “Give me a kiss.” And that she did too as they’re lips collided.

Soon Buffy found herself pulling back gasping for breath. “Don’t you think its bad doing this in front of the little one?” she looked as Prue sitting atop the kitchen island eyes staring up at them.

“Oh, I’m sure she wouldn’t mind,” he pulled her closer and kissed the tip of her nose one last time. “Aren’t I right, princess?” he approached Prudence and picked her up as he nuzzled her little tummy, effectively making her giggle with joy. “I guess it’s take out then… How does Chinese sound?”

“I can cook you know…”

“Right, Chinese then.”

Buffy answered her with mouth dropped open in horror, “Who do you think cooks you daughter’s yummy treats, mister!” she told him jutting her lip out in a pout at the same time.

He tilted his head to one side; he never knew pouting could look so adorable. “I never questioned your ability to cook, luv. I just thought that you shouldn’t be working tonight.” He said as he tried to bring her closer to him, “Tonight is supposed to be your night, courtesy of me.” He told her as he kissed the top of her head as she tucked her head under his arm.

From an outsider’s point of view, they looked like a perfect family, having a nice Sunday night all to themselves. But out of their knowledge someone was watching them, frantically scribbling down on his notes in the process.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

William and Buffy sat on the sitting area of the library a mass of boxes on top of the coffee table. They have just finished dinner and have just tucked Prue in for the night. The little girl had immediately fallen asleep as soon as her father had finished burping her. The past few days must have taken its toll on her, getting a lot of attention from her father was something she rarely got. She sure savored the opportunity, keeping her little eyes wide awake as much as possible the last few nights as her father read to her.

“Not bad eh?” William uttered as Buffy began to tidy the mess atop the coffee table.

“What’s not bad?” She asked as she placed the boxes on a big garbage bag ready to bring them into the kitchen for disposal.

“This.” William sat right up from the couch. “Us.” He whispered to Buffy’s ear as he wrapped an arm around Buffy’s waist. She couldn’t help but smile warmly as she relaxed into him.

“Thank you.” He whispered as he began a long trial of kissed down the column of her neck.

Buffy moaned in pleasure before asking, “For what?”

“Giving me a chance,” he said in such a warm voice Buffy could say that he purred it into her ear as he kissed the side of her neck. “Believing in me,” he nipped at the shell of her ear. “And then…” he spun her on his arms, bag full of boxes dangling from her hand. “For everything else…” he trailed off as he caught her lips in a fiery kiss; tongue seeking entrance to her mouth which she gladly gave as their tongues danced. Conveying more thanks than William could possibly put into words, each understanding what the other meant.

Soon the garbage bag fell to the floor as the couple climbed up the stairs and into the bedroom lips never separating from their kiss.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

With a sigh of pleasure, William slumped over Buffy burying his face on the crook of her neck, before giving her a kiss and then rolling over. Pulling her closer; seeking contact.

Buffy sighed as she settled into William’s arms, “That was incredible…”

“Yeah?”

“Uhuh…” she nodded in confirmation as she turned over and laid with her head on his shoulder, legs draped over his, idly drawing patterns on William’s chest.

“Now, wouldn’t you have regretted it if you didn’t give me the chance the other day?” he laughed his chest humming in the process.

“You’re that cocky huh!” she said with mocked disappointment.

“Just know what I’m good at, luv.”

Buffy scoffed, “I’ve had better…” William pulled her to face him and raised as eyebrow at her. “Oh yeah, definitely!” his mouth gaped open in response as a grin began to form on his lips and decided he better punish this little lady before him as he used his fingers to attack her into a fit of giggles. “Stop it!” she shouted through her laughter, trying to catch her breath. “Stop it!”

Soon William pitied the girl as he released her of his torture and gave her a kiss on the tip of her nose as an apology. “For all I know this is one of your wicked fantasies…” she trailed off resuming her earlier position.

“Fantasies…?”

“You know… me… nanny…”

“Well you did get one thing right, sweetheart. I had fantasized about you.” He stressed the last word.

“Really?” Buffy turned over, almost straddling him; glee can be seen in her eyes.

“Yes, pet.” he answered quite confidently as Buffy grabbed the back of his neck and locked her lips with his. Just as he was just about to deepen the kiss, they both heard a sound coming from the monitor that stood on top of the side table. “Ignore it.” William murmured through the kiss grabbing the back of Buffy neck pulling her head closer.

Buffy tried to push him off, “I need to check on Prue…” she said as she began to climb off him.

Before she could completely get out of the bed, William caught her by the arm. “Just a little while more…” he pleaded, much like a little boy, “She’s calming down already…”

Buffy strained to hear the monitor and true Prudence’s cries have subsided if not completely stopped. “Okay…” she allowed him to pull her back to bed. “But I need to check on Prue later…” she trailed off.

William mumbled an answer much similar to an okay as he peppered kisses down her neck.

Buffy lying on her side, William’ arms securely around her; she finally realized that she had never felt more loved and safe her whole entire life. In here, in this house… with this man… this was where she belonged.

to be continued...