Chapter 12

Buffy and Spike walked into her house the next day and headed to the living room, where they heard voices.

She wasn't prepared for the scene in front of her.

Hank was sitting on the couch with her sisters and it looked like he was telling them a story.

Buffy glared at him. "What are you doing? Where's Mom?"

Hank looked up at her. "Your mother had to go to the gallery early today. The girls were fighting, so I figured I should tell them a story to calm them down."

Buffy wasn't sure what to think. "So, my mother just leaves you alone with them? I find that very hard to believe," she said coldly.

Hank stood up and walked over to her. "I told her she can trust me, Buffy. I wanted to get to know my daughters better."

She crossed her arms over her chest. "You had seven years to do that."

Hank nodded and knew he wouldn't win that argument.

Buffy then turned her attention on her sisters. "You two go upstairs."

They figured that some yelling would be done, so they did as she said, but not before Casey ran over to Hank and gave him a hug around his legs.

"Thanks for the story, Daddy."

Buffy was surprised and noticed that Hank looked like he was near tears.

"You're welcome, sweetheart. Go do as your sister says, okay?"

Casey nodded.

Dawn grabbed her hand and they both ran upstairs.

Hank focused back on Buffy and finally noticed Spike standing there after being quiet the whole time. "Wait, this can't be little William. God, you've really grown up."

Spike shrugged. "Yeah, lot can happen in seven years. Good to see you again, Hank. Planning on sticking around this time or just decided to pop in for a quickie and then pop out again?"

Hank glanced away from the younger man's gaze. "I guess I deserve that. It's good to see you again, too. Glad to see that you and Buffy are still friends after all this time."

Spike put his arm around Buffy and pulled her closer to his side. "We always will be. I care too much about her to leave," he said and glared at Hank, who only nodded.

"I guess I have a lot to make up for."

Buffy sent him another glare of her own. "What's the point? There's nothing you can say or do that will change things. You think that you showing up after all this time will automatically get me to forgive you? I don't think so, that just proves that you don't know anything about me." She then moved away from Spike and ran upstairs.

Spike sighed and watched her go, then looked at Hank. "I better see if she's okay." He started to head for the stairs, but Hank stopped him.

"William, could you wait a moment?"

Spike gazed at the man and waited for him to continue.

Hank took a deep breath. "I want to know her. Could you tell me about my daughter?"

Spike nodded and went to sit on the couch.

Hank sat down next to him and waited for Spike to begin.

"What do you wanna know?"

Hank considered it. "Whatever you can tell me."

A smile formed on Spike’s face when he thought about Buffy. "She's an amazing person. She's one of the good ones, got a big heart. She's always there for Joyce and the little ones, even when they're being difficult. Buffy may complain a lot about her sisters, but she loves them and they idolize her. She's always there for her friends whenever they need her. When I lost my mum, Buffy would come over to my house every day to try and cheer me up. She wouldn't leave until she made me smile that day. I never told her, but I was very grateful for that. She's so beautiful and she doesn't even know it, which just makes her even more beautiful. When she smiles, her whole face lights up and that alone is enough to put anyone in a good mood. When she cries, it's like the whole world is crying with her, it's heartbreaking. I would give anything to keep a smile on her face." He stopped to look at Hank, who had an expression of awe on his face. "What?"

"You're in love with her?"

Spike knew there was no use denying it. He just nodded and gave a short laugh. "You have no idea."

Hank nodded as well. "Does she know?"

Spike shook his head. "No, if I told her it would just make things uncomfortable with us and I don't want that. I can accept just being her friend. As long as I get to be around her, that's all that matters."

Hank understood and patted Spike on the back. "Thanks for telling me about her, William. I really appreciate it."

"I go by Spike now. I haven't been William for a long time."

Hank wasn't sure where that nickname came from, but didn't say anything about it.

They just sat there in silence, both thinking about a certain blonde upstairs.