Chapter 13

Buffy was sitting on her bed when she heard her door open. She looked to see both of her sisters standing there and gave them a small smile.

"You guys can come in."

The girls smiled in return and jumped on her bed. They got comfortable and looked at their older sister.

Casey decided to speak up first. "How come you don't like Daddy?"

Buffy sighed and thought about what to tell her. "It's not that I don't like him. I just don't really know him anymore. You guys were too young when he left, I don't expect for you to understand."

"He's really nice and a good storyteller."

Buffy felt hurt for a moment. "Better than me?" she said with a pout.

Casey shook her head and wrapped her arms around Buffy.

She smiled and hugged her little sister back.

"You'll always be the best," the little girl whispered.

Buffy kissed the top of her head. "Thanks for that."

Casey nodded and pulled out of the hug.

They then sat there in silence, until Dawn decided to break it.

"I remember him a little."

Buffy turned to look at her. "You do?"

Dawn nodded. "I remember he used to read to me to help me sleep."

Buffy nodded and remembered as well.

"How come I can't remember him?" Casey wondered.

Buffy then turned her gaze on her. "Well, that's because you were only a year old when he left."

Casey nodded in understanding and then looked at Buffy, with a sad expression on her face. "Why did he leave us and Mommy? Didn't he love us?"

Buffy put her arm around the child. "I ask myself that question every day and still don't have an answer. He's here now, though. I don't know for how long, but at least you guys could get to know him."

They both nodded and didn't know what else to say, when someone knocked on the door.

Buffy glanced up to see Spike walk in.

He smiled when he saw the girls in bed together. "Hey, room for one more?"

Buffy returned his smile and nodded. "Do you even have to ask?"

Spike shrugged and went to join them on the bed.

Casey then jumped on his lap.

He laughed and picked her up, giving her a kiss on the cheek.

She laughed along with him.

Spike settled her back on his lap, while Dawn snuggled up next to him. He then put his arm around Buffy and pulled her closer. "So, what are you girls talking about?"

Buffy only shrugged.

Casey decided to answer him. "We were talking about Daddy."

Spike nodded and looked at Buffy. For once, he couldn't read the expression on her face. "Things will get better," he told her. "You have to believe that."

Buffy just nodded and remained silent.

Spike then looked at the two younger girls. "It's getting late, you two should probably get to bed."

They groaned and said goodnight, then left the room.

Spike saw that they left the door open and stood up to close it. He gazed back at Buffy to see her sitting in the same position. She seemed to be lost in thought. He could tell that she was hurting. He sat back down next to her, then gently picked her up and placed her on his lap. He brushed the hair out of her face and raised her head, so she was looking at him. It was then that he noticed the tears in her eyes. "It'll be okay, sweetheart."

She nodded again, even though she didn't feel it.

He pulled her into his chest and kissed the top of her head.

Buffy wrapped her arms around him and cried in his chest.

Spike rocked her back and forth. He tried to soothe her with his words, but at this point, he wasn't even sure if she heard him.