Chapter 16

Spike saw Buffy walking the halls at school a couple of days later.

As soon as she noticed him, she turned and walked in the other direction.

Spike rolled his eyes and took off after her. When he caught up to her, he grabbed her arm and pulled her into a nearby janitor's closet, so they could have some privacy. It was dark and there was very little space in there.

"Spike, what are you doing?" she wondered with confusion.

"This is the only way I can get you to talk to me, Summers. You've been avoiding me."

Buffy shook her head. "I haven't been avoiding you. I've just been busy."

Spike clearly didn’t believe that. "You're never that busy. I wanna know what I did wrong."

Buffy let out the breath that she was holding. "You didn't do anything wrong. It's just me. I'm confused and I needed to think about stuff before I talked to you again," she explained.

"What are you confused about?"

Buffy threw her hands up in the air, moving as far away from him as she could in the tight space. "I don't know. Ever since we kissed I've been having these feelings. I don't know what they mean and I'm just scared, okay?"

Spike moved closer and gently caressed her cheek. "What are you scared of?"

Buffy shivered at his touch and tried to focus on what she had to tell him. "You're my best friend, Spike. You've always been like a brother to me. I'm not supposed to be having these feelings for you, but ever since we kissed, I can't help it. I felt something that night and I just freaked. I didn't know what it meant or why I was even feeling it."

Spike moved even closer to her, until they were both touching. "Maybe the feelings were always there. The kiss could have just made you realize them."

She shrugged. "I guess that's possible. I just don't know what to do about it. Why are you so calm about this?" she suddenly asked.

He only smiled. "Let's just say that this is something I've been wanting for a long time."

Buffy raised her eyebrows. "Huh?"

Spike then took a risk and leaned into her, gently touching her lips with his. He felt her tense for a moment and then suddenly respond to the kiss. He wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her closer to him.

She wrapped her arms around his neck.

The kiss turned more passionate, neither one wanting to stop. That was until the door opened unexpectedly and an angry teacher stood there, with her hands on her hips.

They abruptly pulled away from each other.

Buffy put her hand to her lips.

Spike just looked a little nervous.

The woman glared at them and pointed to the direction of the principal's office, without even saying anything.

Spike then rolled his eyes as he and Buffy walked out of the closet and headed to Snyder's office.