Chapter 17

"This is unacceptable. I will not tolerate students fornicating in a janitor's closet when they should be in class."

Buffy looked at Spike and could tell that he was trying not to laugh as Snyder continued to lecture them.

The door to the office suddenly opened to reveal Joyce and Giles.

Snyder stood up to address them. "I suppose you are responsible for these two delinquents."

Joyce looked angered at the short man.

Giles put a comforting hand on her arm and tried to keep his control as well. "Yes, what seems to be the problem?"

Snyder pointed at Buffy and Spike. "One of my teachers caught these two in a janitor's closet ‘making out’ as you all like to call it these days," he stated, actually using air quotes.

Giles was surprised.

A smile graced Joyce's lips as she looked at her daughter and Spike. "You two kissed? I'm so happy to hear that." She then realized that her answer was inappropriate and noticed the confused faces around her. She wiped the smile off of her face and turned back to the kids, trying to be more forceful. "I mean, it's wrong to be doing that in school and you will both be punished for it."

They nodded and remained silent, but Buffy couldn't help let a smile of her own form on her face at her mother’s response.

"Well, I'll leave them to you. Don't let it happen again," Snyder told them.

They both nodded again and stood up.

Joyce sent a glare at Snyder before walking out of the office, with Giles and the two teenagers behind her.

Buffy broke the silence once they were all out of the building. "Mom, it's not what you think," she started to say, but Joyce held up her hand.

"We'll talk about this when we get home, Buffy."

She nodded and didn't say anything else as they finally made it to their car. Buffy sighed and got in on her side.

Joyce smiled at Giles before she got in the car as well. She started it up and drove away from the school.

Giles then turned to Spike once they were gone. "Do I want to know?"

Spike shook his head as they headed to their car. "You really don't."

They got in and Giles started it up as he drove away.

"We will be talking about this, William. You go to school to get a good education. You don't go there for...that."

Spike rolled his eyes and figured his father wouldn't mention what they were doing.

"I must say that I am pleased that it was Buffy, but that’s not the point. You are not to be caught doing that again. Do you understand?"

Spike nodded and stared out the window.

Giles let out a sigh and didn’t know what else to say. He decided to break the silence a few minutes later. "I know you care for Buffy."

Spike turned to look at him when he spoke again. "I love her; it's more than just caring. I know we shouldn't have been snogging in the bloody janitor's closet and I'm sorry about that, but this isn't a one time thing. I want to be with her, Dad. I know that this is the girl that I want to spend the rest of my life with. Hell, I practically already have spent my whole life with her as it is. I've never felt this way about anyone before. You know what it's like. You and mum knew each other when you were kids. You were high school sweethearts. Don't I deserve to have that, too?"

Giles gazed at his son and couldn't believe how much he has grown up. "Of course you do, son. I just don't want you to get hurt. Sometimes things don't work out the way you want them to. I love Buffy as if she were my own daughter. There is no one that I would rather have you be with. I just want you to make sure that this is what you really want and that she feels it, too."

Spike ran his fingers through his hair and thought about what his father said. "I'm not really sure how she feels. I know she feels something, she told me as much. I don't know if it's love yet, but I’m sure it could be. I just know that there's no one else for me, this one is it. I've always known that."

Giles smiled as he finally pulled into their driveway. He parked the car and looked at Spike. "I'm glad to hear that, just promise me one thing. Don't get married until you finish college, all right? And I'm not quite ready to be a grandfather yet."

Spike rolled his eyes and got out of the car. "Yeah, I'll keep that in mind," he responded and walked into the house, with a smile on his face.

Giles shook his head and followed after him.