Chapter 18

"So, what's going to happen between you two now?"

Buffy shrugged and plopped down on the couch. "I don't know. I guess we'll take it one day at a time."

Joyce nodded and sat down next to her.

They were both silent, until Buffy spoke up again. "Mom, how do you know when you're in love?"

Joyce smiled at her daughter's question. "Sometimes you just know. You spend hours constantly thinking about him, and you feel your heart skip a beat whenever he's near. Those are usually signs."

Buffy sighed and decided to voice her fears. "I'm scared, Mom. I've never really been in love before. I'm not sure what to do."

Joyce grasped Buffy's hand in hers. "Your heart will usually tell you what to do. You just have to ask yourself if William is the one you want to be with."

Buffy smiled when she thought of Spike. "I don't think I'll ever find anyone better. Spike is so sweet and caring. He treats me like I'm the most important person in the world. I just don't think I'll ever find that again. Maybe I don't want to."

Joyce gave her daughter a smile. "I'm glad to hear that. I always thought you two would be perfect together. I know he'll treat you right." She patted her hand and stood up, leaving Buffy alone with her thoughts.


* * * * *


Buffy was at her locker the next day, when she felt someone put their hands over her eyes.

"Guess who?"

She shivered at the familiar voice in her ear and decided to have some fun with him. "Um, Brad Pitt?"

He took his hands away from her face and turned her around. "Very funny, Summers."

Buffy smiled when she saw Spike. "You were my next guess."

Spike returned her smile, then pulled her into a nearby classroom that was empty. He closed the door and grabbed her around the waist, pulling her closer to him. "I've wanted to do this all day," he said before crushing his lips to hers.

She kissed him back just as passionately.

He then broke out of the kiss and started to trail his lips down her smooth neck.

Buffy felt shivers up and down her spine, until she finally realized where they were. "Spike, we probably shouldn't be doing this here. We don't need to get caught again."

Spike pulled away to look at her flushed face. "That's a risk I'm willing to take," he replied and started to kiss her again, then picked her up.

She wrapped her legs around his waist as they continued their make out session.

Spike placed her on the teacher's desk and slipped his hand under her shirt, caressing her back. He pulled away when they both needed to breathe. "Sorry, guess I got carried away."

"Don't worry about it. I've actually had a fantasy about this."

He raised his eyebrows. "Is that so? Was I in this fantasy?"

Buffy gave him a smile. "There might have been a cameo."

Spike nibbled on her ear. "I think you can do better than that," he whispered to her, which made her shiver again.

"Spike, is this weird?"

He pulled away to look at her. "Is what weird?"

She shrugged. "I mean, making out in a classroom and talking dirty to each other? That doesn't feel weird to you?"

He shook his head. "Not even close. Does it feel weird to you?"

"I don't know. I guess it takes some getting used to."

Spike nodded and helped her off of the desk. He ran his fingers through her hair. "Then we'll get used to it because there's no way I'm stopping. I have wanted you for the longest time, Buffy. I'm not about to give this up."

Buffy felt touched at his words. She had no idea he felt that way about her. "Can I ask you something?"

He nodded and waited for whatever she had to say.

Buffy took a deep breath before she spoke again. "Why me? You're pretty popular, Spike. You could have any girl you want. Why would you want me?"

Spike was surprised that she even had to ask that. "Because no other girl could ever compare to you. You're amazing, Buffy. I've always thought that."

She blushed a little at his comment. "Thanks, you're not so bad yourself."

He smiled at her, but she wasn't finished yet.

"I get what you're saying, but what if things don't work out? What if we start dating and something happens that causes us to break up? If that happens, things won't be able to go back to the way they are now. Our friendship means everything to me and I don't want that to change."

Spike cupped her cheek. "We will always be friends, Buffy. No matter what happens, but I don't think you have to worry about things not working out. If you actually decide to give me a chance, there's no way I'll ever let you go. You'll always be my girl and nothing will ever change that."

Buffy could tell how sincere he was as she gazed into his beautiful, blue eyes. She decided that she wanted to look into his eyes every day for the rest of her life. "Okay, I'll give it a chance."

A huge smile broke out on his face. "Does this mean you're my girlfriend now?"

Buffy nodded. "Yeah, for as long as you'll have me."

Spike gave her a hug and lifted her off the floor a little in the process.

She smiled at his antics.

"Does forever work for you?" he asked her.

"Sounds like a plan."

He felt relieved and kissed the top of her head. "You won't regret this, love."

Buffy nodded against his chest. "I know I won't," she replied as they continued to hold each other.