Chapter 19

"You and Spike are dating now?" Willow asked Buffy at the Bronze later that night.

"We haven't officially gone on our first date yet, but you can say that."

Willow let out a squeal as she hugged her friend. "This is so great, Buffy. You guys are gonna be so happy together. I just know it."

Buffy smiled when Willow pulled away.

Cordelia broke out of her make out session with Angel to look at Buffy. "You know, you have me to thank for this. If I never dared you to kiss Spike, you guys probably wouldn't have gotten together. I guess we're even now," she said and smiled at her boyfriend.

Buffy was waiting for Spike. She was disappointed that he hadn’t shown up yet, especially when one of her favorite songs came on. She knew that Spike hated to dance and he probably wouldn't want to, anyway. "I wonder what's keeping Spike," she voiced her thoughts.

Willow shrugged.

Cordelia whispered something in Angel’s ear.

He nodded and stood up, moving over to Buffy. "Would you like to dance?"

Buffy looked at Cordelia, who had a smile on her face. She then glanced back at Angel and nodded.

Angel took her hand and led her to the dance floor. He wrapped his arms around her as they both moved slowly to the music.

Buffy rested her head against his chest and let the music take over her body. She imagined that it was Spike she was dancing with, figuring that she would never get a chance to.

They were both lost in the music, when someone tapped on Angel's shoulder.

He turned around to see Spike there.

Buffy was glad that he finally showed up.

"Can I cut in?"

Angel nodded and pulled away from Buffy. He gave the couple a smile, then made his way back over to Cordelia.

Spike smiled at Buffy and wrapped his arms around her.

She returned his smile. "I was afraid you wouldn't show."

Spike pressed his lips to hers. "You never have to worry about me not showing up. Just had to run a few errands for the old man."

Buffy nodded in understanding and placed her arms around his neck. "I thought you hated to dance."

"Figured it wouldn’t hurt to give it another shot. It's not so bad," he said with a wink.

"I told the others about us. They're happy about it, of course. I think everyone knew it would happen before we did."

Spike nodded when a fast song came on. He then grabbed her hand and pulled her over to a quieter part of the club. "I thought we could use some privacy." He sat down and pulled her onto his lap. "Have I told you how bloody gorgeous you look tonight?"

Buffy blushed and shook her head. "I think you forgot to mention it."

Spike smiled when he saw her cheeks heat up. "Well, I'll tell you a few more times before the night is over," he commented and kissed her lips more passionately, pulling away after a few seconds. "How are things going with you at home?"

Buffy sighed. "I had to get out. Hank is doing the whole family thing, or trying to anyway. I can't believe my mom believes the crap that comes out of his mouth, and my sisters actually love him. I just know he's up to something."

"Why do you think that? Maybe he's actually trying to make up for leaving and he really wants to spend time with you."

Buffy raised her eyebrows. "Since when are you on his side?"

He shook his head. "I'm not taking sides. I'm just saying that maybe you should give him a chance, at least hear him out. You can't keep running out of the house whenever he's around, Buffy."

"It's worked so far. I just can't stand seeing him pretend that he actually gives a damn about us."

Spike had a feeling this would not be an easy conversation. "I don't think he's pretending. I think he really does love you. I know he made some mistakes. We all have at least once in our life, but I believe that everyone deserves a second chance."

"Why are you telling me this? You were mad at him just as much as I was when he suddenly came back. And now you're a member of Hank's fan club all of a sudden? When did this happen?" She stood up, angrily.

"I just know how much you missed him when he was gone. Now is your chance to get your father back. For starters, you could actually try calling him Dad."

Buffy shook her head. "I can't. He’s not my father anymore," she said, tears forming in her eyes.

Spike stood up and put his arms around her. "He's still your father, Buffy. I know you want him back in your life. You can't hide anything from me. You should at least try talking to him. Just think about it, okay?"

She wiped her eyes and nodded.

Spike kissed the top of her head. "Come on, I'll take you home," he said and led her out of the Bronze.