Chapter 21

Buffy and Spike were sitting in the waiting room at the hospital.

Joyce arrived with the girls a little while after Spike called to tell her what happened.

They were all anxiously awaiting the doctor's arrival, no one knowing what to say.

The youngest decided to speak first. "Mommy, is Daddy gonna be okay?"

Joyce gave her daughter a small smile. "I'm sure he'll be fine, honey."

Casey nodded and hoped that it was true.

Buffy turned tear stained eyes on her youngest sister. "Yeah, Daddy's strong. He's a survivor."

Casey seemed a little better after that.

A few more minutes went by, when the doctor finally showed up.

They all leapt to their feet.

He graced them with a reassuring smile. "Mr. Summers is going to be fine."

They sighed in relief.

"He lost some blood and he has cuts that will probably scar, but he's stable and just regained consciousness."

"Can we see him?" Buffy asked.

"I can only allow one person to see him at a time, since visiting hours are over. His room is right down the hall." He pointed in the direction of Hank's room, then walked away.

Joyce glanced at Buffy. "Sweetie, you should see him first."

Buffy looked at her mother. "Are you sure?" she wondered.

"Yes, I'm sure. We'll be fine out here."

Buffy nodded and then looked at Spike, who gave her a smile. She smiled in return and placed a quick kiss to his lips. "I won't be long." She then left and headed in the direction where her father was. When she got to the room, she took a deep breath before opening the door. She found her father lying up in bed and felt relieved to see that he looked better.

He turned his gaze on her and smiled. "Hey, you can come closer."

Buffy walked over to him. She sat down in the chair that was by his bed. "How are you feeling?" she asked to start a conversation.

"I've felt worse."

Buffy nodded as more tears started to form in her eyes.

"Please don't cry, honey. I don’t want you to be upset," he told her.

"I was scared that you wouldn't make it."

Hank felt touched that she was worried about him. "It'll take more than that to get rid of this old man."

Buffy laughed a little through her tears, then grew serious again. "I don't want you to die. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if we left things like that. There's still so much I want to tell you."

Hank grasped her hand in his and gave it a comforting squeeze. "We'll have time, Buffy. I'm not going anywhere."

Buffy nodded and for once, she actually believed him. She then noticed the tears in Hank's eyes.

"I'm so proud of the woman you're becoming. I realize that you're not my little girl anymore. I'm so sorry that I didn't get to see you grow up. I regret my actions every day, but I'll be here now. I want you to know that you can trust me, sweetheart."

Buffy had tears streaming down her face at her father's words. She got up to embrace him.

He was surprised at first and then returned the hug, both of them crying.

"I love you, Daddy. I missed you so much."

Hank kissed his daughter's hair. "I love you, too. You don't know how much I missed you."

They were like that for a few more minutes.

Buffy pulled away and wiped her eyes. "I should probably go. The others wanna see you, too."

Hank nodded in understanding.

Buffy stood up and walked to the door. She turned to look at him one more time. "I'll always be your little girl. Thank you for saving my life," she said before walking out of the room.

Hank smiled once she was gone. "Always," he whispered and waited for the next visitor to arrive.