Chapter 23

Buffy walked into her house to hear laughter coming from the living room. She smiled and headed for the kitchen.

Hank came in with Casey on his back.

She had to smile again at the display.

Hank smiled as well when he saw her. "When did she get so big?" he said, referring to Casey.

"Yeah, she tends to grow fast."

He had to agree.

Joyce then entered the kitchen. "Hank, you should be in bed," she said sternly.

Hank rolled his eyes. "Come on, Joyce. I feel fine. I wanted to spend some time with the girls. I just can't stay in a bed all day, it would drive me crazy."

Joyce accepted his answer and looked at her youngest. "Honey, I think you should get off your father before you break his back."

Hank waved his hand in the air. "She's fine, I don't mind it. Come on, princess. Time to go upstairs, so I can read you a story."

A big grin formed on the little girl’s face. "Yay!"

Hank laughed and walked out of the kitchen, with Casey still on his back.

Buffy watched them go. "He's really getting the hang of this. Maybe he actually will stick around this time."

Joyce could tell that it was still a sore subject for Buffy and decided to change it. "So, how was it at Spike's?"

Buffy avoided her mother's gaze. "It was good. He'll probably be over tonight."

Joyce nodded and noticed something about her daughter. "Um, sweetie? You have something on your neck."

Buffy touched her neck in a panic. "What is it? Am I getting a zit or something?"

Joyce just smiled and left the kitchen.

Buffy wondered what that was about and headed upstairs into the bathroom to look in the mirror. What she saw wasn't a zit, but a huge hickey. "Oh god!" she exclaimed and tried to cover it as best she could, feeling embarrassed that her mother saw it. She then thought about what happened when she got the hickey and a smile graced her lips. She would never regret anything about last night. Her smile quickly faded when she realized that they didn't use any protection. They were both caught up in the moment that they didn't even notice it. She figured that she would talk to Spike about it when he came over later. She was positive that everything would be okay. She hoped, anyway. Buffy left the bathroom and went back downstairs, just in time to hear someone knock on the front door. She wondered who it could be and went to open the door. She didn't see anyone out there, until she glanced down and saw a bouquet of white roses, which were her favorite. She smiled and picked them up. "Spike, where are you?"

He then came out from hiding. "How did you know it was me?"

"I know you pretty well. The roses are beautiful, thank you."

Spike shrugged. "Don't mention it. I know they're your favorite."

She let him into the house and closed the door. "How come you're here so early?"

"I guess I just missed you. Had nothing better to do, anyway."

Buffy smiled and planted a kiss on his lips. "That's sweet of you." She went into the kitchen to put the flowers in some water, then turned her attention back on her boyfriend. "Let's go upstairs. There's something we need to talk about."

Spike wondered why she seemed so serious all of a sudden, but all he did was nod and followed her upstairs.

Buffy was quiet when they got into her room. She didn't know how to start the conversation.

Spike sat on her bed and decided to be the one to break the silence. "What's wrong, love? You don't regret what happened last night, do you?"

She saw the worried expression on his face and sat down next to him, taking his hand in hers. "I don't regret anything we did, Spike. I don't want you to think that."

He sighed in relief. "So, what's wrong?"

Buffy took a deep breath. "I just realized that we didn't use any protection last night."

Spike's eyes bulged at that revelation. "Bloody hell, I didn't even think about that. I was just so caught up in what we were about to do that it didn't even occur to me."

Buffy nodded. "I know. I'm sure everything will be okay."

Spike could tell that she wasn't so convinced, but he didn't say anything about it. "Yeah, we probably have nothing to worry about."

Buffy gave him a small smile.

Spike then put his arm around her.

Buffy leaned her head on his shoulder. She kept telling herself that everything would be okay, but she wasn't so sure.