Chapter 27

Buffy and Spike walked hand in hand that Friday to her house. They spent some time at the Bronze before they decided to meet with the parents later that night.

Spike looked at her and could tell how nervous she was. He gave her hand a comforting squeeze.

Buffy gave him a small smile and walked into the house. She closed the door once they were inside and headed into the living room, where their parents were waiting.

Giles was having a conversation with Hank.

Joyce smiled when she saw them walk in. Her smile quickly faded once she saw the worried expression on her daughter’s face. “Honey, what’s wrong?”

Hank and Giles stopped their conversation to look up at their children.

Buffy decided to be the one to speak first. “There’s something we have to tell you.”

Joyce didn’t like the sound of that. She nodded and motioned for them to sit down.

They sat down on the couch, still holding hands.

Buffy took a deep breath. “You all know that Spike and I are together now. I’m sure you also know how much we love each other, and we hope that you can understand what we have to say.”

Joyce put her hand over her heart. “Did you get married?”

Buffy looked at her mother and part of her wished that her news was about them being married. She just shook her head. “No, we didn’t get married.”

Joyce sighed in relief.

Buffy took another breath and just decided to get it off of her chest. “I’m...I’m pregnant,” she said and was greeted by shocked expressions from all of them.

Spike only gave Buffy’s hand another squeeze.

The men didn’t know what to say.

Joyce had tears in her eyes. “Oh god, my baby is going to have a baby.”

Buffy felt tears of her own in her eyes. “Mom, it’s going to be okay.”

Joyce gazed at her eldest daughter. “How is it going to be okay? You’re only a child, Buffy. Have you decided what you’re going to do?”

Buffy nodded. “I know this wasn’t planned, but I’m keeping the baby. It’s a part of both of us.”

Joyce didn’t know what else to say, when Spike finally spoke up.

“I’ll be there with Buffy through everything, Joyce. You can count on that.”

Joyce stared at Spike and could tell how sincere he was, but it was all too much for her to handle. She just stood up and gave her daughter one more look. “I think I need to lie down. We’ll talk later,” she stated and headed upstairs.

Hank placed his hand on Buffy’s shoulder. “It’ll be all right, sweetheart. I’ll talk to her.”

Buffy could only nod, still stunned by her mother’s departure.

Hank decided to give them all some privacy and went to join Joyce.

Spike looked at his father, afraid of what he would say.

Giles remained silent, then just walked to the door.

Spike went after him. “Dad, wait!” he exclaimed.

Giles stopped to look at him. “We’ll talk about this at home,” he said and walked out of the house.

Spike was hurt and went back into the living room. He found Buffy with her head buried in her hands. He could tell that she was crying and sat down next to her, wrapping his arms around her and kissing the top of her head. “We’ll get through this, Buffy. I love you,” he said softly.

She looked up at him. “I love you, too. I don’t know what I would do without you. I would never be able to handle this alone.”

Spike nodded and pressed a quick kiss to her lips. “You never have to worry about that. I’m not going anywhere, love.”

Buffy was grateful and wrapped her arms around him.

He continued to whisper soothing words to her as she cried.